Gwydion Stone

This is not a chat-room

The one thing I can truly say about the posters here is that at least they are, on the whole, very nice folks. Or at least their posts are:-) Even the "jibba-jabba" is nice stuff and yes, while I think we could all do with a tad more thought before each post, I certainly hope we don't lose the friendly banter completely. I've been turned off of more than one forum because of mean-spirited posting, and it's always a pleasure to come back to WS.

I, for one, am doing so much better. For example, I am not posting simply to point out that InAbsinthia said that we are very nice... on the hole.

That would be immature, off topic, and an excellent illustration of what we ought not to do around here. I say "would be" because, as I mentioned, I am not doing it.

I, for one, am doing so much better. For example, I am not posting simply to point out that InAbsinthia said that we are very nice... on the hole.

That would be immature, off topic, and an excellent illustration of what we ought not to do around here. I say "would be" because, as I mentioned, I am not doing it.

And I want to be the first to say we are proud of you Shai!

I wish I had as much self control as you! :devil:

Ok Zman, I know he was serious and I am taking it seriously as well... really. I just think one can take something seriously and still joke about it a bit too. I really meant no disrespect to Hiram's point and I know that this is a big issue for you and others as well. I like you and respect the fact that you are almost all business around here. I also respect your position as a moderator.

I do remember that many new people find us and like us because of the sense of humor that displays itself here from time to time (I am not claiming to be the pinnacle of WS humor but I do enjoy it) and I thought we had established the difference between chat room style emoticon and three word posts ad nauseum vs. an attempt at a joke every once and a while.

For what it's worth, my comment was tongue-in-cheek and not meant to be disrespectful to anyone or to undermine the point of this thread.

Ok Zman, I know he was serious and I am taking it seriously as well... really. I just think one can take something seriously and still joke about it a bit too. I really meant no disrespect to Hiram's point and I know that this is a big issue for you and others as well. I like you and respect the fact that you are almost all business around here. I also respect your position as a moderator.

I do remember that many new people find us and like us because of the sense of humor that displays itself here from time to time (I am not claiming to be the pinnacle of WS humor but I do enjoy it) and I thought we had established the difference between chat room style emoticon and three word posts ad nauseum vs. an attempt at a joke every once and a while.

For what it's worth, my comment was tongue-in-cheek and not meant to be disrespectful to anyone or to undermine the point of this thread.

I second this, and I admit I am guilty of off topic remarks at times, but things can go too far in the other direction. Things were a bit slow around here for a couple of days after this post first came up. MasterPC hasn't been around in over a week.

If a person is just looking for the basic info on absinthe, that can all be found on the main part of the WS site. If someone is looking for a community, which I for one view the WS forums as, then an active forum is necessary to keep people involved. I really love the community here, and would hate to see it become too strict and straitlaced Unless things have changed this is not an academic forum, but it is a place to learn about absinthe, and meet others who are interested in absinthe, maybe even make some new friends.

I am not going to repeat what Shai has already said, I just wanted to add some of my view to the discussion.

I don't mind a poke now and again to help lighten things up, but I think that maybe the likes of me and Zman and some of the others have an instinctive, knee-jerk response to what we can invariably spot as the sort of post that will start a difficult-to-stop cascade of nonsense. It's like a catalyst; some people are relatively immune to it while a minority just can't resist.

I struggled mightily (and successfully) to avoid that perfect straight line in post #61 that Shai gave in to.

I love the humor here, and I do NOT want the place to go all cold and boring and academic all the time. Yes, we are a community, but we are also a public service and educational resource. I obviously need to work on communicating my point more effectively. Judging from responses here and in past threads, I'm coming across way stronger and harder than I intend.

I would like to avoid long rambles off-topic in the more informative and serious threads. And remember: serious does not need to be sombre.

We just need to do an intervention on Absomphe.

Hiram, From my point of view, your tone and comments were at an appropriate level. Zman actually came across stricter and harsher than you. As I said this is from my point of view.

As for Absomphe, good luck, maybe someone could hold the last of his Abyss hostage .....

Well you folks could just drive over to his house in East Bumfuck the night of the party. Knock on the door. When he opens it, nab 'im! And take his last bootle of the Abyss along - to serve as samples at the party.

That'll teach him to say he can't attend... :dev-cheers:

I am now born again with seriousity, and thus will not dignify such frivolous chatter with a response.

I am now born again with seriousity, and thus will not dignify such frivolous chatter with a response.

Good. Now you must chop down the mightiest tree in the forest with...A HERRING :)

But seriously, jokes and silliness are great coupled with a comment that is on topic.

Sorta like what i just did

While I am fascinated with absinthe on may levels, there really is only so much to say about it and I find a little digression entertaining. Social interaction can be killed if it's too stilted. I'm not into bondage though some folks may be. The developement of real communities online is a fascinating thing but it has to flow naturally.

But seriously, jokes and silliness are great coupled with a comment that is on topic.

Perhaps, but quoting the post directly above yours is not. ;)

While I am fascinated with absinthe on may levels, there really is only so much to say about it and I find a little digression entertaining.
Agreed! The operative word here is "little." WS isn't intended to meet all of its members' online needs. It's only one forum, not a place to live. When I find that I'm done talking about absinthe, I head over to the food forums.
Social interaction can be killed if it's too stilted. I'm not into bondage though some folks may be. The developement of real communities online is a fascinating thing but it has to flow naturally.
Social interaction can also be killed if it's left to chaos, or at least made intolerable to many. People behave differently online than they do in person. In person it's more obvious when someone isn't contributing their fair share of silence. Online, protected from disapproving stares and other subtle gestures and expressions, and sitting alone in your underwear, it's easy to remain oblivious or apathetic to the normal social self-moderation we take for granted as a part of courteous interaction. That's why forums have moderators who try to gently keep things relatively on course. When the moderators get harsh, it's not for purposes of bondage or censorship, it's because there are a minority of individuals who are oblivious to the gentle nudges and need a brick upside the head to get their attention.
I know, but i type so slowly that sometimes another post gets in before mine, then my post looks sillier than usual :twitchsmile:
That's chat-room thinking right there. Here, you can go back and edit your post. ;)

This forum has been such a terrific source of information for me that I check in several times a day. OK, a lot. I find it real easy to get caught up in the whirlpool effect.

I believe a nudge back to topic isn't a bad thing. I know in my case, it makes catching up easier with fewer off topic posts but the entertainment was sometimes worth it. Guidelines are good to have. Subtle reminders are taken to heart. I hope my posts have been satisfactory,lately, but folks make it so easy when they leave the door open for snappy one liner type responses.

I've had my hands slapped for punctuation, grammar and spelling but I believe it's worth it for the info/opinions available.

It's easy to get comfortable here.

My current $.02

I still read the board often, but I can't find anywhere to say anything useful that has'nt been said before.

Hrm. I must say I find myself in a similar boat, though I don't get a chance to pop in very often these days due to time constraints and extreme laziness. Between that and the fairly high rate of posting it makes giving things a brief skim-through difficult, so I can see what Hiram means. Also, finding ways to contribute in a constructive manner can be sort of tough for me when faced with so many more experienced and (somewhat) intimidating intellects.

Holed up? :laf:

Oops! I SINCERELY apologize for my chatty response to this very important thread.

Edited by Nymphadora

First-off, super-glad I took a long hiatus recently from the boards (by the way- that had NOTHING to do with post-padding and post-padders). Also though, glad Hiram brought it up. It gets annoying, and while I know even on the best-intended boards, derailing 'just happens', it'd be nice for folks to at least attempt to check it in check... for at least a few posts on any given topic.

"what ya drinking tonight" is a great exception though.

Oh, is this ever a perfect place for the old 'NOT THE LOUNGE' emoticon though. Frankly, ya wanna go off on tangs', babble, post-pad, or just post a series of smilies (they at least used to be of legendary proportions there), have at it... there.

Unfortunately, I doubt he'll be returning anytime soon.

Not that I've been communicating with him, it's just a strong feeling I have.

I have been in communication with him.....it's been a week or so but we have discussed the issue at length.

Nice guy to talk to. Terrific enthusiasm. :)