Gwydion Stone

This is not a chat-room

Last I checked, alcohol is a drug.
That's the customary response to the assertion that absinthe isn't a drug. In common usage, as we all know, "drugs" does not refer to alcohol, but to illicit substances of abuse. Caffeine is a drug too, but few would call coffee a drug with any level of seriousness or suggest that a coffee drinker is "on drugs." Same with sugar. That's why "drugs and alcohol" is a stock phrase.

Shai, don't even... I don't think I've ever seen you play post-pong like what we're talking about here. I consider you a gold-star member.

I'm not saying I want WS to be Schindler's List, I just don't want it to be Duck Soup all the time.

Interesting that this topic was brought up. And thanks for doing so.

The aforementioned issues are exactly what Doyle talked about when I asked him why he doesn't come on anymore. He got tired of trying to wade through the 'jibba-jabba' to get to the good stuff.

So, with that said, I'll try to refrain from posting more of the 'I just wanted to say I love you' pics. :devil:

Sometimes it's about the need to be accepted and insecurity (and that's not meant to be offensive, it just really is a significant aspect of the whole forum's psychological dynamic) and others it's just about being social as best we know how. I totally don't agree with tuning the tone and delivery of your thoughts and feelings to the flow of the online parade. That's how the more honest thoughts and feelings of a member get lost.

I am sure I am one of those accused of "post-padding", but I could care less how many posts I have. The number could be dropped back to one and I would be fine with it. I am, by my nature, a social creature and am quite silly most of the time. I was having fun with a group of great people. I didn't mean to turn others away. So, I won't offend others with my senseless chatter, I will limit my posts to the Tangents and Tantrums, the welcome thread and the birthday thread.

I see chatty and chat-room as different. I don't mind the chatty atmosphere but the quick changing and off-topicing of a thread can get annoying. It's fun to make fun of the drunk-elderly but we don't need to laugh at him in every thread. I don't think it's the 'drivel' either but sometimes interesting posts that have little to do with the topic can be annoying too. There is a new thread button.

I also think some sell themselves short on how much they can contribute to threads. I don't think you need to be an expert to make on topic post with substance.

I will limit my posts to the Tangents and Tantrums, the welcome thread and the birthday thread.

Good for you. The world NEEDS silliness. Don't go away. We'll see you there.

It's fun to make fun of the drunk-elderly but we don't need to laugh at him in every thread.

I hear dirty Harry Callahan askin', "Do you feel lucky, punk?" B)

I am sure I am one of those accused of "post-padding", but I could care less how many posts I have. The number could be dropped back to one and I would be fine with it. I am, by my nature, a social creature and am quite silly most of the time. I was having fun with a group of great people. I didn't mean to turn others away. So, I won't offend others with my senseless chatter, I will limit my posts to the Tangents and Tantrums, the welcome thread and the birthday thread.

Please don't take anything personally...I hold nothing against anyone here nor have I pidgeon-holed any members as being a padder or topic de-railer. It is a collective action that is fine in small doses; Hiram is only trying to keep it more informative and less inside. Any newbie coming here may feel like they can't participate because of this or may have a hard time wadeing through posts for sensible info.

I hope you will post anywhere you want...You are a cute online personality that balances out the dude ranch element.

Aaaannndd... a CIGAR for the gentleman with the toilet accessories!! You banged it, Plunger; right on the noggin.

I am sure I am one of those accused of "post-padding"
With 575 posts in six months? Please. You're not even trying.
I was having fun with a group of great people. I didn't mean to turn others away.
I don't think you did.
So, I won't offend others with my senseless chatter, I will limit my posts to the Tangents and Tantrums, the welcome thread and the birthday thread.
Now you're being silly. And not in a good way.
I see chatty and chat-room as different. I don't mind the chatty atmosphere but the quick changing and off-topicing of a thread can get annoying.
I'm going to run out of cigars soon.
It's fun to make fun of the drunk-elderly but we don't need to laugh at him in every thread...
Now that's just crazy talk.
I don't think you need to be an expert to make on topic post with substance.
Amen and amen.

Yea, but he had a .357.... or a .44 Magnum depends on the movie..

Sure, but Absomphesized absinthe glasses can inflict a world of hurt, too.

End of silliness. :devil:

I most certainly have evolved into the epitome of gentlemanliness, compared to my 2003 Fee Verte persona.

Believe it, as horrifying as it sounds. :devil: ;)

*cough* 2005...into 2006 *cough* may have been extensions of those times. Just thought I'd add.

But seriously, since it seems your posts have shifted to mostly WS, you have become MUCH less of an ass. It's true. Or maybe it's becuase I went away originally, like you asked? :laf:

Aaron

What's the name of that Duplais?

It's funny when people like Nymph, PB, Shai Hulud and several others apologize for derailing threads when nothing could be further from the truth. The wealth of responses to this thread only demonstrate how much this Forum means to a bunch of people. How cool is that? Myself, I can't pass up a quick joke but I'm determined to do it if it means a few more quality responses from the likes of Plunger.

In the real world, unbalanced stronger forces tend to portray themselves as balanced, and use media controls to downplay this

Full story on the 11 o'clock news.

It's funny when people like Nymph, PB, Shai Hulud and others apologize

Now that's a warped sense of humor.

Myself, I can't pass up a quick joke
alright, me either
but I'm determined to do if it means a few more quality responses from the likes of Plunger.

Hear, hear. And let's hope he's leading the charge for the reappearance of several otherses.

We do what we must.

The benefits of the many, our way to benefit Pan Buh....

Gee, shucks.

*cough* 2005...into 2006 *cough* may have been extensions of those times. Just thought I'd add.

Aaron

They say the exception proves the rule, Aaron. ;) :cheers:

I'm determined to do if it means a few more quality responses from the likes of Plunger

Hear, hear. And let's hope he's leading the charge for the reappearance of several otherses.

We do what we must. The benefits of the many, our way to benefit Pan Buh....

Gee, shucks.

A circle-jerk....how festive! Be careful where you step. Don't want to slip and break your neck. B)

I would feel sad if anyone went away from this discussion feeling like crap. It's so clear that no one messed up intentionally.

We'll all make an effort to post more mindfully. I think that's a fine plan.

Last I checked, alcohol is a drug.
That's the customary response to the assertion that absinthe isn't a drug. In common usage, as we all know, "drugs" does not refer to alcohol, but to illicit substances of abuse. Caffeine is a drug too, but few would call coffee a drug with any level of seriousness or suggest that a coffee drinker is "on drugs." Same with sugar. That's why "drugs and alcohol" is a stock phrase.
Yes, I know the parlance. Marijuana is an herb. Peyote & psilocybin are sacraments. And denial is a river in Egypt. :tongue:

I'll admit that there have been threads - all over the board - that I've wandered away from because, whereas the original topic was quite interesting, it has since devolved into something completely other and there's little or no sign of the original topic being revived...

Mind you, sometimes the OT-ness has been positively fascinating. Case in point: the vodka thread has wandered off into other areas, but they're still closely related (distilled spirits) and damned if I haven't learned several new things.

In places like T&T, I expect the topic to wander around all over the place, but mayhap in The Bistro if things can stay focused on a consistent basis... Yeah, that would be nice.

- Johanna

That place is more readable now.

I'm afraid I've made MPC leaving, that was not my intention.

I doubt you are responsible for that, mthuilli. No one should have their feelings hurt and no one should go away or feel reluctant to post in any thread. Some of us needed a very gentle reminder that less is sometimes more.

Yup, I've found myself to be a little more cautious of my posts. Substance is what I needed. The place is a bit easier to catch up on after you've been gone a spell. :)

As one who only pops in now and then, I agree with OMG_Bill. I have a very hard time trying to catch up. I end up skipping over a lot and probably miss some very interesting posts.