Gwydion Stone

This is not a chat-room

Seriously. Let's ease up on the thread-tagging and post-padding, eh, gang? I'm going to start deleting senseless babble. If you're afraid I might delete one of your brilliant insights, you might want to back them up. They're probably all down there where it says "Enable Smilies."

Like I always say: there's a difference between contributing to a discussion, and merely adding to it.

To be honest, that's the main reason why I'm not coming and contributing that often here, Threads are endless, punctuated by "yeah great" or "thank you" posts, that makes topics really boring and unreadable.

Sorry MasterPC, but with 18.5 posts a day (2500 posts since you joined 5 1/2 months ago), you're a top contributor.

You're not the only one though, but someone had to say it. Sorry.

Yes, agreed. While I love everyone on here and seriously like the community in general, my comment the other day about "one-liner-hell" was serious. I'd like to post more, but when a topic gets posted, the first 20 replies usually have nothing to do with it...then one person posts something and it's back to 20 more replies with two words each in them.

To be honest, that's the main reason why I'm not coming and contributing that often here, Threads are endless, punctuated by "yeah great" or "thank you" posts, that makes topics really boring and unreadable.

Sorry MasterPC, but with 18.5 posts a day (2500 posts since you joined 5 1/2 months ago), you're a top contributor.

Oh, okay. I missed this. Not a problem. I didn't realize this was an issue for some.

Personally writing, this is my first forum ever and enjoy the back and forth convo. That's what makes it fun.

I can understand your point of view, however, what you might find boring, others may not.

I like talking to people too much to give that up. Inclusive of the small talk.

Enjoy!

I feel as if I resemble the problem at hand as much as anybody might, and I offer my apologies for any droning inanities I've left in anyone's path. Really. Sorry. There definitely has been a lot to wade through lately if your ambitions tend towards being a completist (reading everything).

On the other hand, I don't envy the alternative you've proposed, Hiram. It is a very slippery slope. I have nothing but respect for the way you handle this forum and don't imagine for a second that I could do it any better. But if this is true:

I'm going to start deleting senseless babble.

then I'm going to miss some really good chuckles. It's a judgement call. Truth be told, I'll trust your judgement on how you want to run your house. But it could get sticky.

Again, apologies for any eye-strain I've contributed to.

Oh, okay. I missed this. Not a problem. I didn't realize this was an issue for some.

Personally writing, this is my first forum ever and enjoy the back and forth convo. That's what makes it fun.

I can understand your point of you, however, what you might find boring, others may not.

Over and out.

It is not only you MPC, I don't want to offend anyone, I just took you as an example as you're #3 poster behind Hiram and Absomphe.

Absomphe also posts a lot of useless babbling, but we call it senility in his case :devil:

I also enjoy the friendliness and conversation on this forum. I did not mean to bore anyone with my posts. I'm a newbie with regards to absinthe and am unable to post any learned opinion about it with you scholars. I've learned a lot of valuable information; I just wanted to be a part of something I found interesting. Again, I'm sorry if I bore anyone with my nonsense.

You're one sock in a million, Mthuilli! :cheers:

Oh, the irony! :laf:

I also enjoy the friendliness and conversation on this forum. I did not mean to bore anyone with my posts. I'm a newbie with regards to absinthe and am unable to post any learned opinion about it with you scholars. I've learned a lot of valuable information; I just wanted to be a part of something I found interesting. Again, I'm sorry if I bore anyone with my nonsense.

Ok, I didn't mean to pick people out...or make anyone feel messed with. I don't think that was mthuilli's aim either.

I have been guilty in the past as well. It just seems that the last few months have broken down into an overt amount of this style posting. Sorry to make it seem like I was ticked off at anyone.

Didn't mean to offend, if I did.

Aaron

HIRAM: on that note...could we have like, a stickied post or somewhere where this kind of mindless one-line banter is acceptable? Something like the "What are you drinking tonight?" thread? Maybe that would work? I'm sure that'd be one fun thread.

I am glad this issue has been brought up. I still read the board often, but I can't find anywhere to say anything useful that has'nt been said before. I like everyone here, but I do not want to add anything for fear of the same reaction that I give to reading some of the posts.

I am glad this issue has been brought up. I still read the board often, but I can't find anywhere to say anything useful that has'nt been said before. I like everyone here, but I do not want to add anything for fear of the same reaction that I give to reading some of the posts.

I will gladly be much more quiet if you will post more.

I thoroughly enjoy the conversations in this forum. The friendliness and consideration I found here is why I joined. I appreciate how scholars and novices can get together based on this common interest, absinthe. I find the diversity of the people to be somewhat mind boggling at times. I can also feel a little inadequate when it comes to knowledge and creativity, only a little mind you. I enjoy the reverent and irreverent, the relevant and irrelevant topics and conversation, and when the spirit moves me I find myself contributing and even posting a topic or two. Recently though it seemed as if I was losing interest in the forum and even finding the spirit of contributing to be less and less. And I did find it frustrating to click on "view new posts" after a day only to find the topic to be two pages longer. I couldn't put my finger on what was causing this feeling until Hiram posted this topic. It was good to know I wasn't the only one feeling this. I realized the energy of the forum was to me becoming more and more like a cocktail party with so many people talking at once it was hard to make out what anyone was saying. I know the analogy is very near a pun and I enjoy a cocktail party as much as anyone else but small talk was never my forte. So if you meet me at a green hour or NOLA and I don't seem too talkative... just hand me a glass of absinthe.

Threads are endless, punctuated by "yeah great" or "thank you" posts, that makes topics really boring and unreadable.
Not sure about boring but I agree with unreadable, hmmm, which is probably why I don't find them boring cuz I don't read them.
"one-liner-hell"
I missed that one! See!
I did catch this and it gave a really good laugh.
you scholars.

Again, I'm sorry if I bore anyone with my nonsense.

Who you calling a scholar? Sometimes I find your nonsense can be smarter than other's deep thoughts.
I am glad this issue has been brought up.
Coincidence alert... just thinking earlier today "what happened to Plunger? Haven't seen him for a while."

Apparently the spirit moved me a lot in this case. Most of it was just rambling anyway and once probably didn't make much sense to anyone but me. And like my opinion matters anyway :biggrin:

:cheers:

Thank you for posting this. I know, another *thank you* but I wanted to say it.

I'm guilty of contributing drivel. I hope that if posting slows and is more focused then we n00bs could try participating in absinthe related discourse. I'm sure willing to give it a try.

I always thought of What ya drinking tonight? as the free association thread. Let the Post Hounds go nuts in there. Oh, how I want to use a wink emotion right now.

It was really hard not to use any emotions in this post.

Cheers,

Maggie

I will apologize, I have gone of the deep a bit, off and on, and I will try to rein in my enthusiasm.

I humbly request your forgiveness.

If MPC can control himself, so can I.

We all know Absomphe is a lost cause..

That's a given. Just use the ignore feature.

Maybe it's time to add a chatroom
All in good time. ;)
I am glad this issue has been brought up.
I'm glad you spoke up. You've been missed.

I am also guilty from time to time, and I'm probably responsible for helping to set a bad example for newer folks. I don't want to be some aloof, distant and inscrutable Overseer admin. I want to remain one of the gang and have fun too.

The problem with me making a thread like this is that it's like scatter shot: it hits everyone in the nearest direction and makes them all wonder if they're the one being scolded. I'm not going to name names online, but I also didn't feel like taking up a lot of my (free) time with PM exchanges about it with half a dozen people.

This is really tough for me because I really like the sense of humor most of us have and our collective wit is often incredibly entertaining. We work off of one another really well... hmmm, almost too well. :g:

... my comment the other day about "one-liner-hell" was serious. I'd like to post more, but when a topic gets posted, the first 20 replies usually have nothing to do with it... then one person posts something and it's back to 20 more replies with two words each in them.
That nails it, right there. What bothers me and a lot of other members is the frequent lack of self-restraint; the not knowing when to sober up and wipe that smurf off your face. It junks up the threads. A few parries back and forth are fine, but often a thread goes completely off-topic and into two pages of witty repartee (at 60 posts per page). So, rather than be a heavy, I'll sit back and watch and wait for it to die down on its own or send one or two gentle PMs. Ironic considering that I've been accused of being a heavy-handed moderator. I'm not really; it's just that when I finally do say something, I'm pretty grouchy by that time (nothing personal, Oscar).
I feel as if I resemble the problem at hand as much as anybody might, and I offer my apologies for any droning inanities I've left in anyone's path. Really. Sorry. There definitely has been a lot to wade through lately if your ambitions tend towards being a completist (reading everything).
That's another part of the problem: I have to read everything. I need to know what's going on in pretty much every thread.
On the other hand, I don't envy the alternative you've proposed, Hiram. ... if this is true:
I'm going to start deleting senseless babble.
then I'm going to miss some really good chuckles. It's a judgement call. Truth be told, I'll trust your judgement on how you want to run your house. But it could get sticky.
It wouldn't be the first time. You're right, it is a judgment call, and part of the mixed blessing of being an admin is that whether I choose to err on the side of leniency (which is usually) or err on the side of sternness (which is today) I'm going to catch crap for it. I hear "Why are you letting :censor1: post-pad all over the place? S/he never says anything worthwhile anyway" about as often as I hear "Hiram, you need to lighten up. You're going to chase away members." Fucked if I do and screwed if I don't.
I think you may be inadvertently exaggerating my intent. I don't want to abolish fun or make the place all stiff and sombre or insist that all posts should be academic and pedantic. Far from it! I just don't want the real content to be buried in a quagmire of titty jokes, emoticons and double entendres.
HIRAM: on that note...could we have like, a stickied post or somewhere where this kind of mindless one-line banter is acceptable?
You mean something like "Tangents & Tantrums"? ;)
Something like the "What are you drinking tonight?" thread? Maybe that would work? I'm sure that'd be one fun thread.
If this kind of thing were restrained to T&T, I wouldn't mind so much, unfortunately it happens all over the board. The issue is that sincere inquiries from new folks sometimes go ignored because someone couldn't resist a wisecrack as the first response. No wonder some people never come back.

I want people to have fun, I just want them to be adult enough to know when to quit the Three Stooges routines and generate some absinthe talk. I want visitors to be able to take the place seriously; we're setting an example for the world here, and especially for America.

How would we all feel, and how would our posts change, if we knew that FDA officials wanted to gauge the effects of an absinthe culture in America, and would be basing their decisions, in part, on what they found here? I'm just saying, that's all. I mean, I do refer those people here when I correspond with them. You think I'm sitting on my ass doing nothing? This morning I had occasion to talk to a law enforcement organization which is doing awareness training in new drugs for its agents. Since absinthe is re-emerging in the US, they plan on covering it. When they come here, what will they see?

BS"D

Maybe it's time to add a chatroom to the website...

They tried that over at Fee Verte...

It laid more fallow than a field sown with salt.

Hmmm....whether anyone really cares or not, I'm feeling like I straddle the fence on this one. One-line posting tends to beget (sp?) one-line responses, which in turn elicit more one-line posts. Then, when the odd man or woman has a slightly deeper thought, it can bring the thread back on topic, or it can seem like some kind of buzzkill just got let out of its can.

However, as I have said in the past, we here inhabit the House of Hiram and by his rules (or even suggestions) we shall exist. And Hiram, interesting point about the impression we might leave on persons, agencies, or entities that you send here. Maybe some of us wish the "outage" from the other day had taken some more posts with it!

I noticed right off that this was the spammiest place i had ever seen but felt i was too much the newbie to start bitching.....so i joined in and spammed like hell :devil:

Anyway, we are free from heavy-handed admins, everyone does a great job of keeping threads free of politics & religion, i am happy to report no noob-flaming occurred ( i read theFAQ!!!).

When i registered here i had never had Absinthe. I love it, my wife loves it, and i plan to be here for a long time :)

Lister and Shinsain have covered my feelings. Some of this is simply the growth in the popularity of the forum. And I know it is enthusiasm, your pleasure in absinthe and the friends you have here.

But there's lots of threads I don't even bother to look, at let alone read anymore. And some threads I'll skim really fast cause the page is filled with one line (or two word) responses.

Well now I'm contributing to the drivel.

This morning I had occasion to talk to a law enforcement organization which is doing awareness training in new drugs for its agents. Since absinthe is re-emerging in the US, they plan on covering it. When they come here, what will they see?

Considering that absinthe isn't a drug, but an alcohol, isn't that the wrong group of agents?

Dakini makes a very valid point.

I know I lauded the video's visuals, but, as far as early absinthe revival misdirection is concerned, all I can say is, thanks a lot Mr. 'Perfect Drug'.

That's the point. The general populace is unaware that absinthe isn't a drug. However, like I said, they chose to cover absinthe as an emerging substance of abuse in the US. So I set them straight—as it were.

One-line posting tends to beget (sp?) one-line responses, which in turn elicit more one-line posts.
Prezactly. It's the cascading effect that ruins a thread and takes it too far off course.
And Hiram, interesting point about the impression we might leave on persons, agencies, or entities that you send here. Maybe some of us wish the "outage" from the other day had taken some more posts with it!
The outage was a genuine operator error—I accidentally deleted the database. If anyone has posted something in the past that they regret, hit the "Report" button and tell me about it.
I noticed right off that this was the spammiest place i had ever seen but felt i was too much the newbie to start bitching.....so i joined in and spammed like hell :devil:
My point could not be made more eloquently. When noobs see it running rampant, they have no way of knowing that it drives a lot of us totally batshit. The reason I'm stern about it here is that I saw it happen at Fee Verte. I was, in fact, part of the problem. I did the same thing as you, Pig. I thought "well, this isn't my cup of tea, but 'when in Rome...'. " Then I got a clue and realized that the people who actually built the place didn't think it was cute and fun. It drove them totally batshit.

Prezactly. Now if those of you (and you know who you are) could just take this to heart and stop the stupid post padding and inane one liners, this could be an easier place to enjoy. Not every post needs a reply.

The reason I'm stern about it here is that I saw it happen at Fée Verte, I was in fact, part of the problem. I did the same thing as you, Pig.

Hiram is definitely engaging in a bit of hyperbole here, in order to relate to his intended audience, rather than distancing himself from it, and should be commended for doing so. While it is true that he was given the designation of 'Cozy Nostril', most of the rest of us never really understood why.

The Nostrils were a loud bunch of vociferous, rambunctious, cutthroat brigands, who were particularly cruel to newbies who they thought were deserving of their wrath. As the first Nostril, and, indeed, the most egregious offender, at the time, I must make it clear that Hiram was never offensive, or abusive, and did not engage in any post padding, whatsoever...he was generally a serious poster, who was very enthusiatic about his introduction to absinthe, and I cannot recall him ever sinking into the otherwise unified morass that was the Noztrilla (the other two notable exceptions were Hartsmar, and Gertz).

This is not to say that Hiram was a stick-in-the-mud, but he always seemed to have a bit too much dignity to be saddled with the accursed Nostril designation.

Sorry if I blew your cover, Jeffe. :)

"Last I checked, alcohol is a drug."

Obviously, the designation comes down to the socially acceptable recreational use of the substance, at least in common parlance.

But you knew that. ;)

If you keep making posts like that, Absomphe, the newbies will think you a gentleman. Your days as a bad example will be nullified. ;)

I most certainly have evolved into the epitome of gentlemanliness, compared to my 2003 Fee Verte persona.

Believe it, as horrifying as it sounds. :devil: ;)

If you keep making posts like that, Absomphe, the newbies will think you a gentleman. Your days as a bad example will be nullified. ;)

Yeah but that's only after he takes his pills.

Prezactly. Now if those of you (and you know who you are) could just take this to heart and stop the stupid post padding and inane one liners, this could be an easier place to enjoy. Not every post needs a reply.

Ok, I see myself here and join the que of apologizers. I guess I have mixed feelings about it too because if anyone has trouble letting the opportunity for an inane one liner go by undone, it's me. I have also had many a laugh here. I will admit, however, that it has been more and more difficult to keep up with the thread reading and I have missed those who have been staying away.

It makes sense to still have "fun" but keep it to the T&T area. Wouldn't it be nice to actually be able to use the Zones and thread titles to find on topic info? Thanks for saying something Hiram (and others). I will make a conscious effort.