Auguru

Question about Lachenmeier suggestion on thujone

Brian,

Why?

Alchohol has many properties so it could suit a range of why's depending on which property you are interested in, e.g. carcinogenic, poisonous, mind-altering, addictive the list goes on.

I have been interested mainly because my aging parents like a drop - and are in their 80's and generally spit out any alcohol free wine, and their doctor advises no-alcohol.

But you hit the nail on the head when you mention 'adulterate'.

I love my fine wines etc, but - if I could reduce it and not adulterate it - I would.

I have tasted alcohol "removed" wines which taste better than alcohol free (never had alcohol)

I have never seen a great wine (or absinthe) that has has its alchhol removed.

I have a 1973 bottle of grange hemitage, maybe I should reduce that.

I was mainly concerned with this and that's why the taste test.

The 'Effect"

I have read of the 'effect' and was hoping to confirm it as a myth, and being a nubie it is correct that you test my water to check that I am not brainwashed. I was ambiguous.

I am glad that no-one has argued that the thujone evaporates.

Being a larger closed molecule I would assume it id less volotile

I did see the properties of thujone somewhere on the web but I couldnt figure out if it is volatile.

Your dedication to your elderly is admirable, Danny. I'm not sure about a medical profession that wants to suck the joy out of life for a few weeks longer stay. Personally, I think when you hit 70 (or any other magic number) you get to do whatever the hell you like and the doctors don't get a vote.

Would you settle for non-existent? The Feds selected 10 ppm as "thujone free." Consider what that means: thujone FREE. It isn't referring to the price but that it doesn't (for all practical purposes) exist.

My worthless advice would be to stop ruining good booze and give your folks a decent glass of good wine or whatever their preference might be. ;)

Hails of derisive laughter, Bruce.

Howls, even. ;)

I have read of the 'effect' and was hoping to confirm it as a myth

It is.

Being a larger closed molecule I would assume it id less volotile

I did see the properties of thujone somewhere on the web but I couldnt figure out if it is volatile.

It's actually pretty volatile. However, during distillation it appears to bond with the water more than the ethanol and doesn't even make it into the absinthe in the first place, except in trace amounts.

Whether 10ppm or 100ppm, this concentration is still insignificant in terms of "effects". That's a good thing, because the effects of thujone do not include recreational pleasantries... unless one is fond of seizures, explosive incontinence, vomiting, foaming at the mouth and acute renal damage. But hey, whatever blows your dress up. :cheers:

The supreme boasts 35mg/kg T.

If zero evaporates then this would have nearly doubled.

I doubt if it is zero.

I had no 'effect' at all so I'd say the Myth its almost BUSTED.

For my next experiment I want to put 500g of C4 explosive into the bottle and film its detonation - just to Bust the Myth once and for all.

Hails of derisive laughter, Bruce.

Howls, even. ;)

Funny enough, I looked it up before posting it. 3 of the 4 transcripts I found said 'hails'. Yet howls definitely makes more sense.

I also found another misquote, where the transcript says 'crack tubes', but it obviously should be 'crack two', right?

No Brian, 'tubes' is slang for beer cans. Albeit old slang and rarely used in Australia anymore. It's more 'tinnys' now. I think tinny took over tube due to an old beer commercial from the 70's or 80's.

by the way I'm savouring this moment........I actually could tell you something. mmmm this is a good place to be I'm reluctant to press 'add reply' as then it will be over......ok now I'll do it

Edited by ignis

Now here's an interesting turn of events. Well, interesting if you care about needless playful bickering about Monty Python sketches. ;)

My original assumption that they say 'crack two' was based on the sketch heard on the Matching Tie and Hankerchief album (also available as disk 3 in the Instant Collection), which, after the above post, I went back and listened to again.

Not only does he say 'crack two', you can also hear the sound effect of two bottles being opened and the bottle caps falling onto the table. It looks like for different sketches, they used two different dialogs, as I've seen it done with cans (like the vid linked in your intro thread) as well.

How's that for turnabout, Bruce? :pirate:

All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?

I think you mean 'the aquaduct' party09.gif

I fart in your general direction, your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries!

P.S.

L'Artisanale is a wormwood bomb with <1mg/kg of thujone -- legal for the Canadian market.

indeed , hovever I talk to distiller that distilled in those year they talk about a very fragrant wormwood that was near thujone less .. but this was an exceptional year now aday to get the same smell flavor it might goes up to 50 ppm with pontarlier wormwood

sad but true :(