Saxon

Iron Chef America - Featured an alembic

Did anyone catch Iron Chef America last night? It was a mango challenge with each chef being paired with a mixologist. Showcased was a cooper alembic which was used to create a mango eau du vie. Mangos where chopped, mixed with vodka, distilled and consumed right on national television.

It will be replaying tonight.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ia/ep...6_49481,00.html

Its worth checking out.

I'm not sure what that means, but nope, what they did on the show would be illegal. The laws are quite clear: if there's alcohol coming out of the condenser, it's illegal distilling. There is no (regulatory) lee-way on this. How strictly enforced it is is another matter altogether. It'll be interesting to see if there's any fallout from this at all.

I'll be seeing Tony Abou-Ganim in New Orleans this summer, I hope I remember to ask him about it.

Thanks, Saxon. Unfortunately, that was 2AM this morning. Mabe they will repeat down the line.

Did the consumers of this look like internal combustion engines?

Can mangoes be considered a poisonous additive?

Doesn't the show have legal experts to run this by?

I'll bet they never considered the legal ramifications. After all, there are still a lot of people who think it's okay to distill small quantities for personal use. But my guess is that nothing will come of it.

I still haven't come across any instances of a hobbyist being prosecuted.

You don't think the person running that still in front of the cameras knew about the legality of what he was doing?

Hmm, yeah, maybe not. Although that kind of ignorance is difficult to comprehend.

As personable as Alton Brown is, I just can't quite get myself to trust those cheesy dinner theater thespians. :devil:

One of my worst experiences was playing the villain in a children's dinner theatre production. After the play, we did a meet and greet with the kiddies. I guess I was a convincing bad guy; I got kicked in the shin.

You don't think the person running that still in front of the cameras knew about the legality of what he was doing?

More importantly, he didn't know how to properly and safely run a still.

I still haven't come across any instances of a hobbyist being prosecuted.

You should change the name then : hobby distilling just as hobby engraving, hobby painting, hobby masskilling? :laugh: What worries me more is mango, I am acquainted with Finlandia mango only which, however is an oil mix or more artificial one would suspect.

And I see that you have already started in the U.S. http://www.gin-vodka.com/legal.html

I think that website might be a little questionable. The last update was October, 2004. A search of the bill by H.R.# and the sponsoring Representative turns up nothing. Their encouragement to jump the gun might be a little hasty and reckless.

As personable as Alton Brown is, I just can't quite get myself to trust those cheesy dinner theater thespians. :devil:

I would strongly advise you not to trust any thespian. They are a despicable lot, willing to sell their mother(s) to the gypsies for a favorable review.

T73, how could you! :tongue:

I guess I was a convincing bad guy; I got kicked in the shin.

Ouch, that can be more painful than an ass kickin'. ;)

I'm asking Tony about this, I'll let you know what he says.

I expect that it probably slipped his mind to raise this issue with FoodNetwork, and they didn't know enough to think about it.

I had known about this episode since last October, I had met up with Julie Reiner (one of the judges) on a trip we were both on in London and we chatted about the show (which had already filmed). She mentioned that Tony was going to do some distilling during the show and se were both a little curious as to how that got by. She thought the show was going to be shown in January, and when it wasn't, I was concerned that perhaps post-filming the lawyers got involved and they had to scrap the show, or at least massively re-edit it so that the still never showed... but thankfully that wasn't the case.

-Robert

More importantly, he didn't know how to properly and safely run a still.

Not having any personal experience with running a still, safely or otherwise, what were the main things being done wrong? I expect placing it directly on an open flame?

That in itself isn't necessarily bad,

but with the improper seals (in some shots you can see steam blowing out of the swan neck/condenser joint)

and operating at too high a temp and condenser not cooling enough (again, you see steam blowing out of the outlet pipe with some condensate), that steam is highly flammable and that makes the open flame very dangerous.

Not to mention reducing the yeild quite a bit, lots of tasty alcohol was evaporating in that steam.

Can this programme be seen somewhere? is it downloadable anyhow. I am getting curious :) We do not have such programmes on our TV, you are lucky :thumbup:

Can this programme be seen somewhere? is it downloadable anyhow. I am getting curious :) We do not have such programmes on our TV, you are lucky :thumbup:

Not that I'm aware.