sur5in

Documentaries on Absinthe?

I think that may have been more of an example than the reality of the Wormwood used.

Bingo. The producers felt it more interesting to show whole plants being used as opposed to stripped flowering tops. Other aspects were significantly abbreviated as well, but not enough to compromise a basic overview. When dealing with filmmaking, some things just have to be staged and compromised for the sake of practicality and convenience (at the request of the film crew). In short, the entire piece is layman grade.

Furthermore, the narrator (Kevin) took the liberty of using the term (thujone-free), which is indeed inaccurate.

Edited by tabreaux

While the concentration of thujone in the finished product depends on a variety of variables, the concentration is very small. "Small" in this context refers to being detectable only using sophisticated equipment and otherwise insignificant.

It makes me laugh that Ted is categorized as a "newbie" on his posts. I know it has to do with the number of posts but something must be done.

Edited by ShaiHulud

Ted,

Forgive me for asking a question you've probably been asked 1000 times, but in your opinion, are the differences some people report between the effects of absinthe and the affects of other alcoholic beverages (such as a more clear-headed or alert drunk feeling) purely a placebo effect, or a result of some other component in absinthe?

Actually, I like being a newbie. I feel...well...*new*.

...are the differences some people report between the effects of absinthe and the affects of other alcoholic beverages  (such as a more clear-headed or alert drunk feeling) purely a placebo effect, or a result of some other component in absinthe?

If the placebo affect is responsible, then it's damn convincing, even to hardened skeptics. However, it is the unsuspecting, absinthe-naive individual that always provides the most convincing evidence through unsolicited comments.

A quality absinthe will contain a significant measure of compounds derived from A. absinthium as well as other traditional herbs, and will contain enough spirituous strength to retain a sizable concentration of these extracted compounds in solution (hence the phrase "Extrait d'Absinthe"). Of the compounds in question, some are relatively well studied, some are poorly studied.

I remain of the opinion that a mix of these compounds (some excitatory, some sedating) along with enough EtOH to deliver them efficiently and quickly into the system minimizes thresholds, and provides some discernable effect. As to which may do what is anyone's guess, but there are a few that are more suspect contributors.

In my experience, Absente does NOT produce secondaries. If their web site is to be believed, the primary difference between Absente and absinthe is the substution of "southern wormwood" for A.A. That makes me susect it is something in the wormwood.

Actually, I like being a newbie. I feel...well...*new*.
Like a ... virgin. zidler.jpg

Mr.GG, there's no telling what kind and quality of ingredients (presumably oils) are used in Absente. There's no Florence Fennel for instance, just "Southern Wormwood" (which only draws 355 hits on Google), Star Anise, Green Anise, Peppermint, and Angelica.

I'm inclined to think it's primarily AA that's responsible too, but it may very well be a synergy between AA, Fennel and Anise, all of which have their own effects in sufficient quantites. One can never tell until one has sampled AA-only liqueur.

I am under the impression that if wormwood is in the "bag" that thujone ought to be one of the extracted chemicals that ends up in the macerated product. Am I mistaken here?

I thought Ted was pretty clear on the show in saying it stays in the pot (the still). Just because it's in the maceration doesn't mean distillation will automatically extract it.

It is not that I really care whether the impression is true or not, just that I would hate to think that the viewer is expected to believe absinthe is thujone-free, when it is clearly present (at some concentration, however small) in much of the absinthe produced commercially.

There is no reason for them to care whether it's thujone free. They need to understand some things about thujone, not just whether it is or is not in absinthe.

Plus, the wormwood dumped into the distillation vat looked pretty cruddy. I always figured it would be chopped into small pieces, perhaps even with the stems removed. I had this image in my mind of clean, green leaves and young stems being steeped (like a "tea")

Your assumption there is completely accurate - when I saw a bundle of plants being shoved into the still, looked like roots and all, I had low hopes for the rest of presentation, as that scene was obviously staged. You only want the flowers if possible; leaves are okay, stems and roots aren't good for much.

Your assumption there is completely accurate - when I saw a bundle of plants being shoved into the still, looked like roots and all, I had low hopes for the rest of presentation, as that scene was obviously staged.  You only want the flowers if possible; leaves are okay, stems and roots aren't good for much.

I'm aware of an HG in whch the stems were used - supposedly because they contained more thujone. Would someone familiar with this comment?

Gosh, I AM in the presence of die-hard absintheurs. Not a one of you took the "pulchritude" bait.

Ted, I meant no offense in my comments. I figured the producers practiced no small measure of editing/editorializing/staging to pull the episode together.

I did enjoy the episode, though. Even with the recoil of horror at the end when I spied those abominable "rock fairies". Wherefore the gossamer wings, the diaphanous gowns, the pale luminescent skin? Alas, only the harsh light of day.

How would the anethole affect things? There's a limit on anethole-amount in France, no? Would the anethole in combination with other compounds be responsible for what ever effect could be present.

I for one am still looking for one single brand that would give me secondaries. None have produced anything I'd call secondaries this far...

"Clear headed drunk" is the best description of the "absinthe-feeling" that I can come by. I've never experienced anything that would really justify the term "secondary", as it isn't anything besides being drunk - just a diffent kind of drunk.

The most pronounced absinthe-y feeling I get from Segarra 45. Which, by the way, is made without fennel.