357 replies to this topic

#1 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 10:57 AM

I make it a habit to shop Ebay from time-to-time. When I find shucksters and rip-off artists such as this listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=140092223525
I let Ebay know that the individual or product is a sham. Lately, Ebay has been ignoring these warnings. I would suggest that our loyal WS troopers go to this link and let Ebay know that this is an individual that is preying on the ignorance of the masses. Not to mention that this person is ripping off Alandia's copyrighted photograph.
From time-to-time I will post in this thread stupid Ebay items and other web areas as to where intervention by the WS Stormtroopers can do war in the battle of absinthe ignorance and skulduggery. I would also suggest that any of you also post action items in this thread also. FWIW, I contacted the seller directly with this, but I'll probably get no reply. If I do, I'll post it here for all of your edutainment.
:police:

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin and vodka.
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#2 DesertWolf

DesertWolf

Absinthe Geek

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:03 AM

Interesting where it is listed

Listed in category: Everything Else > Metaphysical > Wicca > Herbs

I start to feel like I am in an existentialist play written by a person with multiple personality disorder...

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." -- Philip K. Dick

"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart." -- ee cummings

#3 Nymphadora

Nymphadora

Very silly. Very silly indeed.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:16 AM

I love the word "Skulduggery".

Sorry, I'm used to essays by teenagers: "This stuff iz bad. This stuff hear iz gud".

Sixela would have had them drawn and quartered.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

#4 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,332 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:36 AM

Yes, he would have, except that his often dry, rapier wit would have soared over their empty head faster than a Nike Zeus missile.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#5 DesertWolf

DesertWolf

Absinthe Geek

• Content Team
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:40 PM

They would have looked something like this?

:huh:
I start to feel like I am in an existentialist play written by a person with multiple personality disorder...

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." -- Philip K. Dick

"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart." -- ee cummings

#6 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 03:07 PM

I would suggest that our loyal WS troopers go to this link and let Ebay know that this is an individual that is preying on the ignorance of the masses. Not to mention that this person is ripping off Alandia's copyrighted photograph.

Done. I hope others will do likewise.
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#7 Dr. Verte

Dr. Verte

Professeur d’Absinthe

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:24 PM

I also have done it.
License means I decide what is right and wrong and I do whatever I want to do, whenever I want to do it, because I have the ability to.
Freedom is knowing the difference between right and wrong and, thus, choosing to do the right thing because it is what I should do.

#8 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• 5,015 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:49 PM

Done.
"I read an article recently on the dangers of heavy drinking..
Scared the shit out of me.
So, that's it! After today, no more reading."

#9 gfpoet

gfpoet

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 07:06 AM

Looks interesting!! but definitely garbage.

Hey Nymph!! Can you please change your avatar? :twitchsmile:

Being a single 37 year old male such as myself, - let me just say - your killing me!! :dribble:

#10 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 07:08 AM

Done!
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#11 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 07:42 AM

Done!

#12 DesertWolf

DesertWolf

Absinthe Geek

• Content Team
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 07:52 AM

Hey Nymph!! Can you please change your avatar? :twitchsmile:

Being a single 37 year old male such as myself, - let me just say - your killing me!! :dribble:

Oh come on, if a 44 year old single male can deal with it, then you can too...
:tongue:

#13 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 08:38 AM

For those of you who lent a hand, thanks. For you two others (I'm not going to mention any names...gfpoet, DesertWolf), let's try to keep this thread on topic.

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Woodinville, WA, USA

#14 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:00 AM

Same topic, a couple of slightly different areas.

The WW Society are already doing a good job on MySpace, pressuring two people who were affiliates of some of the worst Czechsinth vendors to completely drop their affiliations. Also after a few messages from some of us here, we persuaded an absinthe kit vendor to close down the group he was running and close down his own profile too!

Lots of work still to do on MySpace, Tribe and all the other social networks.

I have recently noticed that there are a lot of blogs appearing which are fronts for Czechsinth. Your corrections to those blogs would also help.
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#15 Dr. Verte

Dr. Verte

Professeur d’Absinthe

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:06 AM

Thank you. For me the problem with MySpace is that you have to join to post comments. I am loathe to join that type of group.
License means I decide what is right and wrong and I do whatever I want to do, whenever I want to do it, because I have the ability to.
Freedom is knowing the difference between right and wrong and, thus, choosing to do the right thing because it is what I should do.

#16 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:09 AM

agreed

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#17 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:44 PM

I contacted the seller directly with this, but I'll probably get no reply. If I do, I'll post it here for all of your edutainment.

I did (finally) get a reply from "shamanlight4." My original message to him/her/it was along the lines of "what you're selling in no way can make absinth."
His/hers/its reply:

"Steeping is actually the older way of preparing absinthe. It is true that wormwood isnt extracted in the most efficient way during this process, however it is the only process whihc is legal in the USA. If enough wormwood is steeped, then the drink can be quite effective."
:laf:

Woodinville, WA, USA

#18 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• 2,019 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:46 PM

If enough wormwood is steeped, then the drink can be quite effective."

As an emetic.
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#19 Auguru

Auguru

Naught the One...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:12 PM

Should the seller return, perhaps he could use an alternative graphic for his elixir. Something that communicates its real value. As an anthelminthic! (Dewormer, natch...)

Attached File  Deworming2.jpg   29.19KB   27 downloads
"If I can't drink, I don't want to be in your revolution ..."
-- Emma Goldman

"Beneath the stars there are the bars that serve the bitter drink..."
-- Be Bop Deluxe ("Life in the Air Age" from the "Sunburst Finish" album)

#20 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:14 PM

I did (finally) get a reply from "shamanlight4." My original message to him/her/it was along the lines of "what you're selling in no way can make absinth."
His/hers/its reply:

"Steeping is actually the older way of preparing absinthe. It is true that wormwood isnt extracted in the most efficient way during this process, however it is the only process whihc is legal in the USA. If enough wormwood is steeped, then the drink can be quite effective."

I received the same post verbatim, right down to the typographical errors. I also noticed, his ebay posting was removed. I don't know if he had his ass kicked but he certainly had his wrist slapped.

#21 Dr. Verte

Dr. Verte

Professeur d’Absinthe

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:30 AM

It wasn't removed, just never bid upon and time run out.

#22 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:43 AM

Ah. Well, perhaps there is a greater victory in that. No one bought the snake oil salesman's swill.

#23 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:18 AM

Which may mean that more and more people are becoming aware that these things don't work to produce absinthe, or get you high, or anything else.

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#24 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:40 AM

Now he's selling these.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#25 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,332 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:56 AM

A suppository by any other name... :poop:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#26 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• 5,015 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:06 AM

Now he's selling these.

Thanks, Shabba, I've just ordered 10!

:sarc:
"I read an article recently on the dangers of heavy drinking..
Scared the shit out of me.
So, that's it! After today, no more reading."

#27 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:54 AM

Well, someone else is in the game on Ebay. Now it is not a "soaker" kit, it does make the spurious connection between marijuana and absinthe.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem
and:
and the idiots at Alandia just had to get in the act:

Woodinville, WA, USA

#28 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:08 AM

Done and done.

#29 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:00 PM

I received the same reply to both emails I sent to Safesq76. I was a little surprised to see my initial query on the first auction posted. My second response was a little more pointed, I guess because it's not visible.

Reply from Safesq76:
Thank you for your opinion. I love absinthe also. Have you ever tried this product? I would reccomend our Wormwood Schnapps Essence, and mix it with a pernod bottle, something I recently tried. I have nothing against a purist. You might even try our Wornwood Schnapps Essence added to an Imported bottle of true Absinthe to increase the Thujone ingredient level in a fine bottle of true Absinthe. This Wormwood Schnapps Essence is non-alcoholic and is great with coffee and tea, and can provide an alternative for those who, for various reasons do not wish to consume any alcohol. I'd be happy to offer just the Wormwood over ebay for a short period of time for costs with reduced shipping to afford you the opportunity to try this. Have you tried it? If you love absinthe, what would there be for you not to like the Wormwood Schnapps Essence to give the GREEN FAIRY A BIT OF BOOST?
Respectfully yours,
Safesq76
By the way, I do know what absinthe really is. And I have enjoyed a wide varity of quality Absinthe's. It is because of my personal experience with quality ABSINTHE AND THIS PRODUCT that I would reccomend both. Learn what the Original Prestige Besk Wormwood-Schnapps-Essence is. Our ABSINTH IS BOTTLED AND quality DISTILLED in SWEDEN and includes NATURAL ARIMSA of 22 aHerbs including Aniseed, Wormwood oand 20 other Herbs. It has a quality shelf life of minamally five years. At just 20ml a bottle they are small enough to be allowed on an Airplane, I think.Both our ABSINTH and quality Malort's Besk WORMWOOD-SCHNAPPS ESSENCE are manufactured by Gert Strand of Malmo, Sweden and have directions on the label in French, Swedish, Norwegian, German and English, and has been known and appreciated worldwide by ABSINTHE appreciators for generations, drawing upon the traditions and knowledge of over three centuries of quality distilling of ABSINTHE. Tell me, would you rather pay $60.00 to $200.00 for a single bottle of quality Brand ABSINTH w/ship or $12 per btl of
our product?

And after a bit of thought, I replied:
Hi Stephen,
Perhaps I was a bit harsh in my initial email and I apologize for my strong word choice. You responded politely and deserve the same from me. I am a member of the Wormwood Society and I would like to invite you to check out WS. I think you'll have a better idea of why I am so strongly protective of the wonderful beverage and yes, a bit of a purest. Please visit http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/ I'm confident you will quickly understand why I feel so strongly, especially since you (based on your kind email to me) also enjoy and respect absinthe. I am still firmly convinced that the product you are offering is not absinthe and I kindly encourage you to visit the Wormwood Society to understand why.
sincerely,
Joe :devil:

#30 Dr. Verte

Dr. Verte

Professeur d’Absinthe

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:11 PM

Well, I have tried that product, and I can tell you that it, at best, makes a decent Czech absinth (if there is such a thing).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association