Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,354 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:57 PM

You rang?

Ah, yes, the loathing.

But at least you have Bluescat, and The Abyss™ to help compensate. :devil:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#92 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:59 PM

Hm. According to the Absinthe Helfrich bottle, the Green Fairy is a redhead. Cool.

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#93 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,354 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:16 PM

Indeed!™

#94 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:40 PM

Fuck the bottle and the hooch. I just wanna hang out on Bill's porch and enjoy that sunset.
"I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun! Very monastic." - Kosmo

#95 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:24 PM

Got an extra chair?

#96 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:43 AM

I can put a bunch of those chairs out on the deck. I always saw a sunset green hour out on the deck as the perfect application for the big ceramic fountains. I have green spot floodlights in the back yard at night and one of those umbrella-style heater lamps for when it gets cold out.

I live right in the middle of the city. The back yard with its fruit trees and flower beds and inviting little deck are crucial to my sense of well being.
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#97 Marc

Marc

absintheoriginals.com

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:12 AM

It looks nice but where is the masseuse in the story ?

#98 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:00 AM

Posted Image
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#99 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• 5,031 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:08 AM

Beautiful!
"I read an article recently on the dangers of heavy drinking..
Scared the shit out of me.
So, that's it! After today, no more reading."

#100 Marc

Marc

absintheoriginals.com

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:01 AM

Will tell you tomorrow kitty, I can't drink that xit everyday my doctor said

I can tell ya now!
It is very 'gut', the first notes are melissa and citrus (peels?), then a very good green anise.
I tasted it side by side with the Montmartre but it's different, totally different, the Helfrich is more thick, it uses better anise.
The only thing I could reproach is the lack of tall worwood perfume, I miss that perfume since I've tried the Artisanale, the Wormwood and the PF1901...

#101 Nymphadora

Nymphadora

Very silly. Very silly indeed.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:23 AM

WBT: It sounds absolutely lovely. I'm jealous. :cheers:
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

#102 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,354 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:53 AM

The only thing I could reproach is the lack of tall worwood perfume, I miss that perfume since I've tried the Artisanale, the Wormwood and the PF1901...

And the 1797.

#103 Marc

Marc

absintheoriginals.com

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:42 AM

And the 1797.

Sure, but the great Pontarlier Wormwood is not as obvious in the 1797 as in the 3 listed above, specially in the Wormwood, yummy!

#104 hissykitties

hissykitties

Ms. Sassypuss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:57 AM

I miss that perfume since I've tried the Artisanale, the Wormwood and the PF1901...& 1797

It's an incredible perfume, that is for sure. Thanks for the tasting notes.
"The less I behave like Whistler's mother the night before, the more I look like her the morning after." ~ Tallulah Bankhead

#105 deaddybear

deaddybear

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:45 AM

Wild Bill...sounds great! Mrs. Deaddybear and I lived in Daly City while in college, but worked in the Financial District. One of my best friends had a place down by Marina Green - the site of many fond sunset memories (some of the sunrises were a bit shaky...)

I'll be back there next month to see some clients, maybe we can get together for a cold one! :cheers:

Edited by deaddybear, 16 March 2007 - 10:48 AM.

#106 Oscar

Oscar

“Life is good”

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:16 PM

Mthuilli,
Hissy and I are looking forward to drinking some absinthe with you in Boveresse.
"Enjoy life. This is not a dress rehearsal."

#107 Marc

Marc

absintheoriginals.com

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:36 AM

You bet!
I'll bring some 'secret' flasks.
21 of us in the same hotel (19 I've booked + you two), imagine the earthquake...

#108 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:47 AM

The Eagle has landed? You keep my kids up with all your partying and you'll hear about it. From them. :devil:

#109 hissykitties

hissykitties

Ms. Sassypuss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:34 AM

You bet!
I'll bring some 'secret' flasks.
21 of us in the same hotel (19 I've booked + you two), imagine the earthquake...

Do the fine folks in Couvet know to brace themselves?
"The less I behave like Whistler's mother the night before, the more I look like her the morning after." ~ Tallulah Bankhead

#110 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:38 AM

That's 25 booked. But two are minors.

#111 Helfrich

Helfrich

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:37 PM

This wonderful perfume is characteristic for some wormwood cultivars that we don't use. However, it does not depend on the Pontarlier region. Cultivars like these actually retain their aroma when grown in a Dutch provincial front yard, the suburbs of Antwerp or the Limburg hills. (I was rather surprised that it appeared so prominently in an absinthe reproduction.)

Few people know that the traditional spirit in Limburg is a distilled wormwood bitter called "Els la Vera" (veritable wormwood [bitter]). Even in this cocksucking country most people aren't aware of that. (As a matter of fact commercial wormwood distillation went on during a century of prohibition!) Unfortunately the recipe and the brand name have been bought up by the Heineken Bols Group who turned the product into an insipid oil mix. As a consequence the wormwood cultivation and the family distilleries have disappeared from the region. Societies and museums pretending to keep the tradition alive are all sponsored by Bols.

For the record, still, this herbal bitter is not absinthe as we know it.

For our absinthe we use carefully selected wormwood plants. Meanwhile we exert ourselves to recover regional wormwood culture and to improve (ennoble) the plants growing on our slopes (in the end I am a biologist). Preliminary results are promising.

So if I lose the meaning of life I can always lay myself out for a Limburgian AOC of extremely aromatic wormwood plants that tradionally grow on the marl soil in our unique microclimate.

#112 Marc

Marc

absintheoriginals.com

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:04 PM

That means you're already on a Helfrich 3rd edition ?
BTW, I will let my bottle age for a few months and I'll post an update here, it will sure improve, the fruity (mainly citrus) profile is a little too dominant for the moment and is hiding the wormwood.

#113 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:13 PM

I'm having a glass now and I'm glad I bought some. At 2 1/2 : 1 it was a bit sharp. Adding an ice cube was just right if not a bit much. The louche is very nice. A very drinkable absinthe. Aging may help mellow the sharpness but it isn't bad at all. :thumbup:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#114 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:22 PM

I wasn't thrown off by the sharpness. I had two nice sips and Maggie stole my glass. I don't think I'm getting it back. Very nice, indeed. :thumbup:

#115 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,242 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:51 PM

I love it. I did sugar.
I like the bite.
It is pleasant.
Invigorating if you will.
Tart with a long astringent finish.
The challenge will be if T73 can hide the bottle from me so the contents can age a bit.
I am the wood nymph.

#116 Helfrich

Helfrich

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:12 AM

That means you're already on a Helfrich 3rd edition ?

That's not the message. Things are evolving here like everywhere else. Panta rhei 'n' stuff.

#117 Helfrich

Helfrich

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:33 PM

Panta rhei

That's what I said, implying that you cannot step into the same river twice. But it is not just to extend a hackneyed metaphor that I installed a new production facility in the heart of the Dutch river area. There are practical reasons for that. Besides, biodiversity is enormous there -- Father Rhine brings all the good stuff on his journey from the Alps to the North Sea.

A.a. is native here. A new test field will be planted before this winter. I really love these plants. If this love is mutual I can look forward to some very interesting results.

As for the product itself, it retains its original unique character. It is somewhat rebalanced (e.g. the fruitiness is somewhat attenuated, although still characteristically present) and there is a little bit more creaminess and "depth". The method has been slightly modified and is sometimes referred to as the "Herveld Rectification" because it has been worked out in a goat sty (oh yeah) near the village of Herveld.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association