britgeekgrrl

Is Absinthe UV Reactive?

Is absinthe UV (black light) reactive?

I was just mucking about with a very low powered UV light (alright, alright, it was my new-Who sonic screwdriver. Gimme a break) and with one thing and another, I got to thinking that if such things like tonic water could be UV reactive, maybe absinthe...?

So I turned off the lights and wielded my (sadly underpowered, and with lots of visible light to go with it) UV source at my glass of Ptite (surprisingly drinkable, I'll add my two cents to the review thread, shortly) and got a rather neat picture...

uvabsinthe.jpg

Granted, it was a lot bluer than that, but my camera is a fairly early generation digital and it was doing the best it could in a very dark room.

The tiny little UV lamp pumped out a lot of visible light too, as the cheap sources will, so I'm not willing to rule out that that did a lot to light up the absinthe. So I'm wondering if anyone's got a better fixture out there willing to do a test. For, y'know, science or something.

More to the point, I'm throwing a little blacklight cocktail soiree in May and I'm on the lookout for interesting UV reactive drinks. There's only so many things I can do with tonic-water and Red Bull. If absinthe is UV reactive, then I know what I'll be having all night! ;)

So, am I the only whacko interested in this topic, or have I piqued some interest?

- Johanna

I find it pretty cool, actually. I'd be curious to see what folks like JosephMory have to contribute to this interesting "mucking about". :)

Sounds like someone is drunk.

I have 6-7 standard florescent tube blacklights (would love to have one of those scientific variable wavelength UV toys but they are a good couple thousand above "toy" price) I haven't really payed attention to it.

I did take this while being entertained by glow in the blacklight frogs while having a glass of absinthe at the same time. My other absinthe blacklight photo doesn't have any absinthe in the picture so that doesn't really count.

Small version,

glow-frog-over-tmb.jpg

Sounds like someone is drunk.

No such luck, Ari, this is my first drink of the night.

As I mentioned in the OP, my toy light is very low powered *and* pumps out a lot of visible light. Your photo backs up my initial thought that the glass was merely lit up by visible light, and not reacting to UV.

*grin/shrug* it's still sorta pretty to look at, though.

:cheers:

- Johanna

To rephrase, sounds like someone needs to be drunk. :)

I'm quite happy with absinthe playing with the light in a spectrum I can actually see. Wouldn't it suck if you could only see a pretty louche in false colors after being photographed by some experimental device at the Lawrence livermore labs. Speaking of which the first picture does look cool, like it was struck with a magenta gun or something.

Don't give me ideas. A pal of mine is senior staff at Lawrence Livermore. But I don't think he'd let me play with the hooper-secret lasers for the sake of fun. If only I could phrase it as being part of the war against terror, or sumthin'..

*nod* it's odd how magenta that pic came out, given that it was very blue as I looked at it but see "early generation digital camera", above. I'm just glad it came out vaguely recognizable. Mine is not the steadiest of hands, even when (mostly) sober. ;)

- Johanna

I've done a lot of work with UV lighting for concert stages and installations, and have a blacklight poster gallery at my house that's lit by industrial fluorescent units. When I started collecting UV-responsive glass, I started checking my different absinthes to see if any of them were UV responsive. None of them were. Some brands reflect more "purple light" than others, but none of them actually fluoresce.

Alas.

What, Gothica doesn't?

Well, dammit, that does it! I'm not going to place that order after all!

;)

Anyone tried this on those old original URANIUM trace preban absinthe glasses? that might be interesting...

Both of my cases of it are still unopened in my basement, waiting for when I host a Green Hour here.

I'll bet that will be a blast!

Anyone tried this on those old original URANIUM trace preban absinthe glasses? that might be interesting...

Now that would be something to find. Been looking, but haven't found any yet.

Fortunately, I have a couple of sources for uranium glass, and several glassblowing studios in town, one of which offers regular classes in the craft. Sometime in the next couple years, I'm gonna either commission a set, or learn how and do it myself (if i can afford to, it's a pretty basic process).

Now that would be something to find. Been looking, but haven't found any yet.

Fortunately, I have a couple of sources for uranium glass, and several glassblowing studios in town, one of which offers regular classes in the craft. Sometime in the next couple years, I'm gonna either commission a set, or learn how and do it myself (if i can afford to, it's a pretty basic process).

I've started a nice collection of Uranium, or Vaseline glass. I've got lots of cocktail, sherbert, and shot glasses but nothing that really looks like a proper absinthe glass. I've got some plates, and a very nice 60 oz. pitcher, which wasn't cheap. It generally comes in three colors. One is a sort of yellow that really does look like Vaseline, hence the name. The other is more green, similar to the green if an artificially colored Czech absinthe. There is also the opalescent, which is sort of frosted in places. I have both the Vaseline color and the green (which is my favorite) but none of the opalescent, which I don't care for.

I check out ebay from time to time to see if there are interesting pieces listed.

Here's a nice green fairy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FAB-Czech-URANIUM-VASE...1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know the science of flourescent drinks (obviously they don't contain uranium), but if tonic water flouresces, it shouldn't be hard to make an absinthe that does also.

I read somewhere that the earlier Uranium glass blowers didn't live that long. I'm sure there are newer safer methods for handling the stuff, and doing it a couple of times probably wouldn't give you the exposure of a lifetime of blowing uranium glass, but I don't want to try it.

Edited by BrotherO

Yeah, it is pretty nice looking but also very fragile.