britgeekgrrl

"Absinthe spoon" on ebay

Y'know, I couldn't help thinking that whoever made that gets points for originality, but looking at the photo, the seller may claiim it's stainless steel, but that yellowish tinge to it makes me think I wouldn't want to put it in my drink... But yeah, definitely a bit tricky to use that one, too.

What? It's 6PM, I'm at home and I've some L'Artisanale left in the bottle? Pray, excuse me, chaps...

- Johanna (who has been craving absinthe all frackin' day...)

Well, not to discredit the seller with a stellar rating but I think the spoon is really something for display rather than a spoon for convenient and proper functionality.

Just my $0.0000000001.

The other two are sugar sifters.

The second one might be, but I don't think the first one is. I have something virtually identical to the first one, but instead of that "swoopy" handle it has a handle more akin to a normal Absinthe spoon (ie, short, straight, and with a little "hump" in it for resting on a glass).

David Wondrich and I were wondering if perhaps this might be an old julep strainer, but seeing this eBay item convinces me it is a tea strainer instead. Ideally it too should have something on the tip to hold it up across the glass, but it would be concieveable to hold it in one hand while pouring the tea through it with the other. The same could not be said for holding an Absinthe spoon the entire time the water is being dripped in.

I think they're highly suspect, myself. I've never seen any Reed & Barton spoons that look like that. Where's the water supposed to drip from, overflow?

According to this site they did.

Undocumented just means they haven't been seen before and um, documented. It doesn't mean they're not authentic, Mr. Antique Dealer. :harhar:

The other two are sugar sifters.
David Wondrich and I were wondering if perhaps this might be an old julep strainer
I thought the same thing when I first saw it, and considered bidding because of that. Then I went and looked them up. I'm still not entirly sure, but I'm leaning toward sugar sifter.
Are these Absinthe Spoons?
No.
According to this site they did.
Yeah. But these aren't that. I don't know what the hell thay are, because I'm not the antiques guy, but they aren't absinthe spoons.
These are absinthe spoons and are used to sit on the top of a cocktail glass with a sugar cube, and absinthe poured over the sugar cube and set on fire.
Well, there you have it. The expert has spoken.

:laf:

Undocumented just means they haven't been seen before and um, documented. It doesn't mean they're not authentic, Mr. Antique Dealer. :harhar:

Aw, gee willickers, I wasn't implying that the spoon wasn't authentic, only exceedingly rare if it hadn't been documented by now. :rolleyes: ;)

Are these Absinthe Spoons?

These are American cocktail strainers.

I was wrong, I didn't know there was no hole in it (thanx WBT for clarifying that point), but Oxy knows what this spoons are :

"It's a Cafe Brulot spoon, a kind of fire ritual for coffee. This was a very popular after-dinner drink in New Orleans in the 1950's, and most of these spoons were made by Reed and Barton. A lump of sugar was placed in the spoon and soaked with brandy, which was lighted over the coffee, and then the whole caramalised mixture was stirred into the cup."