Gwydion Stone

Our First Fool

So, this guy registers a few days ago using a ficticious character as his referral (Jean Valjean from Les Misrables). I e-mailed him asking about it but I got no response. What I did get was a registration last night from the same guy, under the name "youguysareelitistpricks" obviously thinking that he was anonymous and apparently not realizing the omniscient powers of an admin:

post-1-1107450185.jpg

My response:

Sorry you feel that way Todd. The only reason you weren't admitted was that you used a fictional character as your referral. When I e-mailed you asking for clarification you chose not to respond. We're not elitists, we're merely cautious. I see no reason to respond to the rest of your tantrum. Sorry this didn't work out for you, but it appears to have been a misunderstanding.

Best of luck in all your worthy endeavors.

- Hiram

At the risk of boring the less mystically inclined among us, what makes this even funnier (funny peculiar or funny haha, I'll leave up to you) is that he is member number 111. One hundred and eleven is the Qabalistic formula of the word "Aleph", the name of the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet ("A") which corresponds with the first card in the Tarot: The Fool.

"You are an elitest [sic] prick... I know more about absinthe than you do."

Ha, thats great.

Micheal Moore edition:

Real name?

"Elitest prick... ...trying to act important."

"I know... elitest friends... that... do thousands of other people."

"I will never be admitted to... that... elitist organization... because... I guarantee... a... little... prick."

:)

Maybe it was before the operation.

Must have been a cheap operation.

(no offense to Betina :twitch: )

What's this "Make Absinthe Legal" crusade? This is the first I've heard of it.

Me too. I figure he's referring to this line on the front page of the site:

"Its purpose is to help promote accurate, current information about absinthe to aid in the repeal of the ban on absinthe in the US."

I'm too old and tired for crusades.

Let's see. elric13 joined the 17th of January and is #92,

I joined the 20th of January and am #97.

The First Fool (no relation to the man on Pennsylvania Ave.?) attempts to join a few days ago and is #111.

I sense momentum here. Will there ever be a critical mass? Whoa! Will there ever be enough? And I must have missed the "referral edict" somehow. Given my proximity, glad I got in under the wire too.

Having lived in Tucson for several years, I am disappointed Master Fool claims it as residence. Tucson is actually rather nice if you can handle the summer heat. Spectacular electrical storms. I watched the Catalina mountains erupt in flames after one such storm. A terrible spectacle.

Elitist:

Definition: [n] someone who believes in rule by an elite group

Antonyms: egalitarian, equalitarian

My limited experience at this forum leads me to believe there is far more of the latter than the former at play. Herr Fool ought to know better.

Besides, since when did enthusiasm, curiosity, and fun get confused with elitism?

Besides, since when did enthusiasm, curiosity, and fun get confused with elitism?

The problem is that you're running off a dictionary definition. Things work a bit differently on the internet. Here, elitism is pretty much defined as "a firmly held belief in something contradictory to your own beliefs". When such "elites" run a forum, sometimes people feel it is such an injustice that they just have to whine about it.

I hear you there WhyteKnight, I like the tone here the best followed closely by FV.

No disrespect meant when I say I can barely post at the absinthe mosh pit, but there is a lot of excellent information there. :thumbup:

On the internet an "elitist" is someone who has standards. Usually they are standards which the accuser doesn't understand or is too lazy or stupid to aspire to.

There's tons of great info at LL, FV, and we're building some solid stuff here too. Believe it or not, sqertz, abraxas, agent z, and Saucy_Jack (no relation), have laid down some good info over at absinthelovers.

Oh don't get me wrong Hiram, there's volumes of good info at all the sites. It's just that recently I've been digging into the information contained in the Green House/Darkroom at the absinthe mosh pit, which I have found to be most helpful. I haven't really ventured over to absinthelovers yet.

One hundred and eleven is the Qabalistic formula of the word "Aleph", the name of the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet ("A") which corresponds with the first card in the Tarot:  The Fool.

A quick note from an elitist bastard: Aleph isn't the equivalent of "A"; semitic alphabets have no vowels. It denotes an almost silent, breathing "sound".

Doesn't Marc Campbell (Hippy MC from Fee Verte) live in Tucson?

If that were him, it would be true he knows more about absinthe than most people, but he never made any effort to be anonymous and he's semi-famous anyway, so my guess is, not him. I wish he'd come back to some forum, though.

A word about the tone at Fee Verte - a lot goes on under the surface. There have been many detailed discussions about the tone, to change it or to leave it alone. The old admins and the new admin like the tone the way it is, and some old hands go out of their way to help keep it that way, even if it's not always in their PERSONAL interest - people like to watch flame wars and people like to participate in them. Follow my avatar to its source at Flamewarriors (that site is a hoot!) and see what I mean. A lot of people would have assigned me a different and no doubt derogatory category, and that's fine. It's just the Internet.

Edited by Artemis