Hi all. New to the forum, new to absinthe. I actually tried my first taste a few months back. It was a bottle of Fruko Schulz that a friend brought back from Amsterdam. It was produced in the Czech republic so based on my reading and lurking around here Im going to assume that it was no good, although I had no previos experiences to base it against.

Anyhow it did succeed in sparking my curiosity and eventually leading me here to dig deeper into the world of Absinthe. Ive enjoyed learning about it and it has sparked some great conversations with my friends, all of whom had the same misconseptions about the drink as I did. What an interesting history and culture!

Im preparing to make my first purchase and am excited to try some real absinthe in the traditional fashion. I thought I would try a bottle of Blanche de Fougerolles 74 and one of the Verte de Fougerolles 72 for starters. I do have a 30th Birthday coming up at the end of the year so if my experience with the first two bottles is as enjoyable as I expect it to be Ill probabbly dig a little deeper into the pocked book for one or two of the more expensive bottles. The Jade Verte Suisse 65 seems to be pretty highly reccomended around here.

A little about me- I live in Bozeman Montana where I have a film production company. We do mostly long form documentaries in natural history and wildlife, and the occasional commercial project. I thought it was neat that this society was formed nearby, somplace I actually get to on occasion to see a concert or visit with some friends that are in the Seattle area.

Great job on the forum by the way. Really one of the nicer looking ones Ive seen before, and your faqs for newbies are very comprehensive. Your efforts are not going unnoticed!

Well thats it in a nutshell. Ill let you all know how the first round goes!

Thanks for listening to me ramble-

Sur5in

Hey Sur5in, welcome! :cheers:

I spent a couple hours once in Bozeman. I think it was Bozeman. Kind of charming Old West looking downtown. I think there was this wacky head shop close to the bus station...

Anyway, glad you're here and thanks for the props.

Welcome Sur5in :cheers:

I'm glad you did the investigation and got away from the Czech assbinth. I think you've made a good selection for your first order, the VdF and BdF are both good absinthes and reasonably priced.

Welcome, sirrah!!!

I lost my cherry a mere 6 days ago but I completely agree with your assessment of curiosity/learning/dig deeper. This stuff is fascinating material.

If you wish to waste your time wandering through the depths of my newbie thread, you'll see what I bought and the recommendations of our fellow taste-testers. It appears that you are starting near the top (ignore Jack) so I think you will be satisfied. However, I must follow, in general, this extremely elitist crowd and, at the end-of-the-day, recommend a Jade product. The stuff is GOOD.

TripBalz,

:cheers:

I spent a couple hours once in Bozeman. I think it was Bozeman. Kind of charming Old West looking downtown. I think there was this wacky head shop close to the bus station...

That sounds about right, although all of our head shops have been chased out of town by the conservative majority, they remain a bit wacky you just have to drive to the city limits now.

Thanks for the warm welcome. For a bunch of elitists you all seem surprisingly congenial.

Most of my question have been answered by searching around here but Ive yet to see anything to justify or dispell the alleged aphrodisiac effects of absinthe.

What say you? Fact or Fiction?

Heres to hoping I dont have to buy any more ground Rhino horn.... :hyper:

Sur5in

PS

for some reason people assume my name is pronounced "surfing" unfortunattly we have very few big waves in Montana, I like to say that it is pronounced with the "hard 5" or surviving-

If you wish to waste your time wandering through the depths of my newbie thread, you'll see what I bought and the recommendations of our fellow taste-testers.  It appears that you are starting near the top (ignore Jack) so I think you will be satisfied.

While a bit prone to exxageration I find that it's in your best interest to listen to Jack for he knows that of which he speaks. At the same time, by all means experiment around with different brands to truly appreciate the good ones

Jack knows his xit alright, even though we disagree on a few points of taste and the importance of shoes.

As far as advice on brands is concerned, there's usually a sense of urgency when talking about something that seriously has absolutely no redeeming qualities. I think everyone here who has tried it would agree, for instance, that Staroplzenesky is absolute shite. While we are divided on say, François Guy.

As for the aphrodisiac qualities, I think it's probably due to the alcohol relaxing inhibitions, combined with the alertness and affability that comes from absinthe. A perfectly formulated panty-dropper if you can get her to drink it. I know it makes me somewhat randy.

It remedies the difficulty described so clearly by Billy the Bard (Macbeth, 2:3):

Porter

'Faith sir, we were carousing till the

second cock: and drink, sir, is a great

provoker of three things.

MacDuff

What three things does drink especially provoke?

Porter

Marry, sir, nose-painting, sleep, and urine.

Lechery, sir, it provokes, and unprovokes;

it provokes the desire, but it takes

away the performance: therefore, much drink

may be said to be an equivocator with lechery:

it makes him, and it mars him; it sets

him on, and it takes him off; it persuades him,

and disheartens him; makes him stand to, and

not stand to; in conclusion, equivocates him

in a sleep, and, giving him the lie, leaves him.

Welcome,

So far I am the only other Montanan that I've seen around here (Missoula). Jade VS65 is my favorite so far and as the effects you inquired about are very real at least for my wife and I. So far even though we know some others who have tried or are interested in Absinthe, we will not drink with them due to the afforementioned effect.

ShaiHulud,

Thanks for the greating, I noticed there was another Montanan here and went back and read some of your posts.

Although I am a big Bobcat fan (g) I still have a few friends in Missoula and get up that way a couple of times a year. Its a nice city, and If I were not in Bozeman Id probabbly be there.

Im getting a little off topic here but a while back I read up on a Liqueur called Damiana that is highly touted as an aphrodisiac. Its from Mexico and Central America and is a herbel concotion made primary from the leaves of the damiana herb (go figure). Apperently The Damiana herb has been used in those regions for many centuries for its varios "healing" properties, supposedly dating back to the time of the Myans. An interesting corelation to the woormwood history.

Its bottle is even in the shape of a pregnanat woman.

I tried it about a year and a half ago with some friends. While the majority consensus was that it did have some aphrodisiac effects, I wish I had controlled the experiment a bit closer and not told anyone about its supposed properties.

Maybe everyone was just drunk and randy because they thought they were supposed to be drunk and randy?

Anyway if you like Tequila (like I do) its a tasty one, so no great loss even if you dont feel anything. Plus its readily available in the US. Although its certainly no substitute for the subject at hand-

I didn't think I had ever had damiana liquor before. But since you described the bottle, I just realised that I have had it. I had some in Mexico a few years ago, and I thought it was horrible. IMHO it tasted like what I think sweetened PineSol would taste like.

Anyways, welcome :cheers:

I like damiana liqueur a lot. I make my own by maceration and it pretty much tastes exactly the same as the commercial.

Most "aphrodisiacs", damiana included, work as a tonic. That means they have a cumulative effect when used regularly over a period of time. The ones that reputedly have a more immediate effect are no more than relaxants. None of them are "horny drugs" that you can give to someone to make them more likely to screw you. Alchohol, pot and roofies will do that just fine.

And it DOES kinda taste like what sweetened PineSol would SMELL like. (Thanks for being a good guinea pig, and TASTING it for me, Verbal!)

I guess he needs something to balance off all that pre-ban authentic BITTERNESS that he crams into his elixirs. :dribble: