Megalomantic

Woot! My First Shipment is in!

Congrats! :cheers:

Damn. I didn't think that would bleed over to other threads. I can't get away from it, much like Mr. McGoohan.

Why did I promise the lady of the house I would wait for her :(

Because it's 9:40 AM?

Ah yes but when ou are working several night shifts it tends to feel much like 9:40pm.

Shiza. She knows me too well all of the corkscrews are missing.

That's why you need to get yourself a champagne saber and do this!

champagne_saber.jpg

Not really, but it looks cool. :D

Some time ago it was popular in Poland to cut off the neck of a bottle of Polish vodka when it was corked and no one had a corkscrew at hand :D

Some people had also been cutting something else, too :shock: so that trend has been abandoned.

Wow. You know anybody who can do that? :shock:

Yup. A friend of mine who is a sommelier gave each of his groomsmen (all in the wine and food industry) champagne sabers for gifts. At the rehearsal dinner, my friend also sabered a bottle or two to demonstrate how it works. He brought out the saber again last summer, but I was too chicken to try it. I do recall his basic instructions: Hold the bottle almost parallel to the ground pointing away from you. Slide the saber along the bottle up towards the neck with a quick motion. Once it hits the ridge at the neck, it should crack the top off the bottle and send the cork (and the top of the bottle neck) flying. Of course, you should remove the foil and wire cage from the bottle before you do this little trick.

My boyfriend can do that. It is impressive looking, but a waste of champagne - I love that stuff!

Lister - the Samurai Warrior thing just reminded me about Chinese New Year - in a weird not Samurai kind of way. You up for Chinatown?

A waste of champagne? Only if you cut the neck off too low, or hold the bottle too parallel to the ground. Maybe I should have said to hold the bottle at a slight upward angle.

:cheers: I'm sure you and the little lady will enjoy it Megalomantic.

I've knocked the tops off some Perrier Jouet and some Moet. I score the bottle right under the ridge on the neck first, which makes for a nice clean break. I can tell you from experience you don't need a saber (although that's nice if you have one). A big kitchen knife will work just fine.

youtube has a pile of videos on sabering

The first one is more of a demonstration of what can go wrong and the champagne carnage that results. The second one demonstrates what happens if it is done correctly.

Jcbphd, I thought you were kidding about that at first. I didn't realize it was something people really do. I gotta ask, other than looking very cool, why do it? Or is that the whole point? Which is a concept I am not unfamiliar with.

Hiram, a man of many talents :D

Alyssa, I forsee a visit to Chinatown.

I didn't realize it was something people really do. I gotta ask, other than looking very cool, why do it?

You get flying glass all over the place. Who doesn't want that?

Jcbphd, I thought you were kidding about that at first. I didn't realize it was something people really do. I gotta ask, other than looking very cool, why do it? Or is that the whole point? Which is a concept I am not unfamiliar with.

I feel quite confident in stating that, in this day and age, the only point to sabering champagne is to look cool. I think there may be a few historical legends behind the act, but I'm not really sure how it all got started. I would have no idea about this little trick if it were not for my wine friend, who has contributed greatly and in untold ways to my love of many fine beverages. :cheers:

All about the presentation, the visual "wow".

the lady fell asleep before I even got home from work, so i decided to get into the bottle myself.

WTF with the cork though it was a complete nightmare. I'm going to have to pick up some corks tomorrow.

First Impressions.

* Reminded of Jagermeister (in first smell and taste, I drink Jager quite often in a half glass with ice.)

* interesting watching it louche.

* I never really felt like i was drinking liquor, but my head sure felt like it after two glasses.

* Has a taste that seems like it would go well with a cigar or pipe tobacco. (Any suggestions?)

* Enjoyable for myself but I do not think my girlfriend will enjoy it one bit.