Alan Moss

London bars

From today's New York Times. Actually tomorrow's if you're on the West Coast or Hawaii.

The Times gets it wrong. If bars have absinthe in London, it's with wormwood. Other than that, a good read and guaranteed to make a few of you jealous.

Got it. The vintage wines. I was wondering where the 29k was coming in to play. Tax and service not included? Ha!

Does that include a "love you long time" girl, perhaps from the "House of Jade"?

Enquiring minds want to know. :absomphe:

Thai martini with ginger-infused Stolichnaya and syrup, minced cilantro, lemon grass and kaffir lime

:blowup:

Alan, that first link was an interesting change from the usual "brits drinking till they puke and get in a fight" story that I run into on the web so often. As for the second link the more bean and rice meals I make for myself the more bottles I can stash away in the pantry against hard times and drought.

Thai martini with ginger-infused Stolichnaya and syrup, minced cilantro, lemon grass and kaffir lime

:blowup:

Throw in some shrimp and noodles and it's a bowl of pho.

I've been to Bangkok. It's a great city and the Thai people are great, but I missed the restaurant in the article. Not that I would have had that kind of money to spend on a meal. I miss pho. When I lived in Cali there was a pho restaurant on every corner.

The Brit bars sound great, but what the heck is soigné décor?

Will be spending one night in Bangkok in December but will not be wasting that kind of cash!!

:cheers:

You and I are going to need to get together at some point. Or wait, that may be one of the signs of the return of the four horsemen. :shock:

You do realize a statement like that will only serve to encourage me, don't you? :cheers:

London Bar Scene...

The London bar scene is a pretty great one. I've had several opportunities to take red-carpet tours through the "best of the best", and there is a lot of good things to say about them.

It wasn't that long ago that London was pretty sad cocktail wise, but Dick Bradsell and Dale DeGroff both had a hand in changing that. Dick because he doing some rather creative things there, and Dale because he was brought in to "refresh" the scene. Here in American we were so "stuck in our ways", that there was just too many barriers to really celebrating the cocktail the way it should be.

They do have a tendency however to go a bit overboard at times, and there are also a number of inner polotics that derail some of their efforts.

One thing I like to point out as a key element in something that allows the London bar scene outstrip the American one (and which unfortunately disagrees with a comment that Dale makes in the article) is tips.

When I visited some of the best bars in London, I was SHOCKED at how many bartenders were behind the bars. Three, Four, Five... when here in America, in the same size of bars there might be two at the very most. An (unconfirmed) explanation, is that here, when a bartender is faced with an ever increasing crowd, many of them may just see increased profits due to tips... even if the quality of their drinks suffer. While in London, where it isn't tip based, there is no incentive to taking it an "I can do it myself" attitude. Instead the pride of doing a good job allows them to easily accept the assistance of the additional help that the management might realize would help them better handle the crowds.

There are indeed many bars in America that can meet, and in many cases beat, the London bars, but the concentration of "great bars" is indeed pretty high.

Pegu, Milk & Honey, Flatiron, Zig Zag, Vessel... are all great American bars, many of which serve as an inspiration to the London scene, but unfortunately not as much of an inspiration to the American scene as they should.

Thanks so much! :cheers:

My only question is, what is the wage of the London bartender?

Couple of my friends are heading for London and want to work in pubs/bars/restaurants - they have received an offer. When they come back, I will tell you the details, MasterPC. London, though contaminated, remains still very nice European capital :cheers:

Cost of living is over the top though.

I've always preferred a down-and-dirty pub to a great bar. Just my personal preference. And it saddens me that the classic pubs of this country ('s previous political era) are becoming harder and harder to find.

I remember these old good times. It is very sad but it is the grim reality we are faced up with, PB.

But a decent (indecent ;) ) bar (read pub) is a must. We have still like those in Poland, superb atmosphere :drunk:

Those classic pubs must truly constitute a part of history. There are some left, certainly, but they becoming endangered. Even one of the pubs in my village is making an effort to go upscale (they even have a cocktail menu :shock: - whatever for I'll never know. Nobody drinks anything but beer and shots.) But what they must have meant and provided prior to '89 I can only guess. :drunk: