britgeekgrrl

Next up...? (looking for reccs)

Alrighty, my bottle of L'Artisanale is almost empty (*sobs*), the Emile Rouge has taken quite the hammering and I know my husband's got a phat bonus check coming to him this week. Assuming I don't bankrupt us at Gallifrey One (any of you whacky folks heading over to that?) it's time for me to place my next absinthe order.

As I'm a perennially broke whatsit (husband's largesse aside) I'm limiting myself to two bottles, but I'd like to try something new. If I don't like it, I can always trade it, I'm sure. ;)

So far, I've gone gaga for: L'Artisanale, Jade Eduoard, Jade Verte Suisse.

I've been 'Hey, that's pretty darn tasty!' for: Jade NO, Libertine, Trenet

'I'll drink it again if someone else buys': VdF, La Fee Parisian (yes, really), Emile Rouge (I liked it, but not enough to buy another bottle, I think)

'I'll only drink that if it's a condition of the terrorists holding my family': Tabu (yes, I tried it - gotta know what one is condemning), Phillipe Lasala (I don't even know what this IS, but it was given to me at a party and I wrote it down) and the usual crapsinthes of which I have, unfortunately, tried several. *shudder*

Admittedly, I let someone else louche the VdF and he might have added a bit more water than I liked, so maybe I sold it short.

So, based on that, what might you suggest to a person? Yes, I know, I haven't tried any blanches. *hangs head* I was going to brave another one of the SinFusion "events" to get my hands on a couple for initial tasting, but the host has been dropping all the stuff I want to try off the menu AND raising the cover so, never mind that...

I'm being seriously tempted by the Jade 1901, based on the snippets I've seen here and there, but that's as far as I've gotten re: decisions.

Advice and all that is, as ever, appreciated. 'Tis why I'm here, after all.

- Johanna

PF1901, Duplais Verte, Duplais Balance, Ike,ClB: All excellent choices not on your list.

*scurries off to check reviews*

EDIT: I should mention that I've had a nigh-morbid curiosity about Montmartre for a while, as I've heard the more recent batches aren't quite so "spicy", so that might be on the list, too - although I'm willing to conceded that the pretty bottle is probably just playing me for a sucker...

:cheers:

I can't add much to the above. La Ptite is a pretty decent blanche itself. I don't read much about it anymore but I liked it. Budget minds may suggest K53. A full liter for the price of a 70cl bottle.

The Jade PF 1901 is my favorite Jade product and the Duplais Balance is terrific.

Now all you have to do is whittle that down to your two choices. :devil:

Have fun and :cheers:

Happy ordering, Johanna. Let us know the verdict.

So, based on that, what might you suggest to a person? Yes, I know, I haven't tried any blanches. *hangs head* I was going to brave another one of the SinFusion "events" to get my hands on a couple for initial tasting, but the host has been dropping all the stuff I want to try off the menu AND raising the cover so, never mind that...

I was googling for "Sinfusion" events since I'm not familiar with them, but all I got was hot girl on girl action.

Is this a ladies only club that likes abinthe, or am I missing something?

I was googling for "Sinfusion" events since I'm not familiar with them, but all I got was hot girl on girl action.

Is this a ladies only club that likes abinthe, or am I missing something?

I'll dig up the thread for you later (I's sneaking onto the 'net at work) but it was discussed elsewhere in the forum. It's an "Oooh, aren't we daring?" bar/nightclub event in San Francisco, that happens (or happened, they seem to be offline at the moment) every two months or so.

Long story short, pay $10 - $20 cover for access to a place selling admittedly chintzy shots of a couple dozen brands of absinthe for $5 - $10 apiece. So, not a cheap evening, but it was the easiest way for a shlub like me to try a few varieties without paying for an entire bottle. Unfortunately, the event was always dressed up in a rather horrifying mix of faux-bohemian-decadence and porkchoppery - although the cover being $20 at the door and a dress code usually kept the worst of the fratboys out.

So, it wasn't an event I exactly admired, but it was useful for me. And now it seems to be gone. *sigh*

- Johanna

It wasn't by any chance the party discussed in this thread, was it?

Yep, that's it. BillTurkey posted an accurate review of the event in another thread.

I had no idea they got busted. So very NOT surprised, though. I won't miss the crappy marketing, but I'll miss the ease-of-access to a variety of absinthes. If a person was patient, you could find the decent brands, behind the crapola...

- Johanna

I've been 'Hey, that's pretty darn tasty!' for: Jade NO, Libertine, Trenet

Trenet???? Are you sure you aren't confusing it with something else? I've had Trenet once, and I remember it as some non-louching crap. The only good thing about it was that its taste was somehow less offensive than the average Czech stuff.

As for what to try next, I'll echo the others and recommend some Swiss La Bleues. I really like La Ptite. The La Valote line is good too, the Martin probably being my favourite.

As for vertes, the Duplais Balance can't be beat, when it comes to bang for the buck.

Trenet???? Are you sure you aren't confusing it with something else? I've had Trenet once, and I remember it as some non-louching crap. The only good thing about it was that its taste was somehow less offensive than the average Czech stuff.

Y'know, that's what I wrote down in my journal that night but 1) it was a drink I accepted from someone else, so maybe I got the wrong information and 2) it was already pretty late in the evening by that point... :blink:

- Johanna

Y'know, that's what I wrote down in my journal that night but 1) it was a drink I accepted from someone else, so maybe I got the wrong information and 2) it was already pretty late in the evening by that point... :blink:

Sounds like that journal could be a dangerous guide. Trust me, you'd regret it if you ever ordered a bottle of Trenet ...

BdF = Blanche de Fougerolles. Haven't had it for ages, but remember it as a nice one.

Ah yes that point where the water looks louched before it hits the glass.

I thought it was the absinthe that louched? But then, maybe I've been reaching that point that you describe.