BrotherO

85% alcohol. Is there really much flavor left?

I think that the general consensus is that although grape spirits might be good, it's perfectly fine to use NAD+ to make a good absinthe, the most important part being the maceration and distillation.

However, take a look at this, which I just now stumbled upon:

La Bleue Clandestine l´Alcool de Vin:

"A superior production method for an Absinthe is the use of wine alcohol for distillation. It gives the final Absinthe a very balanced body with a slightly fruity note. La Bleue Clandestine l´Alcool de Vin is therefore a very interesting modification, especially designed for the advanced La Bleue Aficionado."

Now I want to get a bottle of each (and I very well may) to see the difference. They are charging a bit extra for this over the regular La Bleue Clandestine, so it's either marketing or the grape juice spirits cost a bit more.

I have another related question. If then 85% is good for the maceration, what's the range on distilling the final product? To high an alcohol content, and all the flavor would be stripped away. To low, and the anise wouldn't stay disolved in the alcohol.

Does anyone know off hand the range of alcohol content for an absinthe, in other words the highest and lowest percent?

Edited by BrotherO

Absinthe should have at least 45% and the highest volume would be 74% according to old protocols.

Dr Pierre Ordinaire's extrait d'absinthe might have been bottled at 75% as initially it was a medicinal tonic.

Anethole can be extracted easily still at 45% (just as pastis, anis etc are made) so there would be no problem at this point. The louche depends on the quality and quantity of aniseed used.

Absinthe should have at least 45% and the highest volume would be 74% according to old protocols.

Dr Pierre Ordinaire's extrait d'absinthe might have been bottled at 75% as initially it was a medicinal tonic.

Anethole can be extracted easily still at 45% (just as pastis, anis etc are made) so there would be no problem at this point. The louche depends on the quality and quantity of aniseed used.

Does it come out of the distillation at that percent, or like vodka do they add water until it's just right? I think I saw somewhere that the final product that's colored with the second maceration is mixed with the portion that's not macerated a second time to get the color and flavor just right.

It depends on the producer, read Duplais protocols and see for yourself.

Yes, only a part of the distillate is coloured and then mixed with the rest which is colourless.

Water is added at minimum, pre-ban absinthes were usually distilled at 74% and water was added to reduce them to historical 72%.

It depends on the producer, read Duplais protocols and see for yourself.

Yes, only a part of the distillate is coloured and then mixed with the rest which is colourless.

Water is added at minimum, pre-ban absinthes were usually distilled at 74% and water was added to reduce them to historical 72%.

This one is interesting (but sold out):

Blanche Traditionelle "Brut d'alambic" 'Essai 2'

"It has also been bottled without any water reduction as a full 81.3% alcohol distillate, though we have had several requests to reduce it to 60% before bottling. We still wanted to present this batch in the same format as the first, that is, for our customers to have the opportunity to taste the full-strength absinthe distillate, straight from the alambic."

Do people really want to taste the distillate straight from the alambic? I guess they do since it's sold out.

I think that the general consensus is that although grape spirits might be good, it's perfectly fine to use NAD+ to make a good absinthe, the most important part being the maceration and distillation.

Read again. NAD+ was just a joke on the word nad. You know...nads! As in "Go Nads!" The general consensus is that alcohol, whether grape or otherwise, makes the best absinthe.

Now I want to get a bottle of each (and I very well may) to see the difference. They are charging a bit extra for this over the regular La Bleue Clandestine, so it's either marketing or the grape juice spirits cost a bit more.

Based on where that's being sold, I'd guess marketing.

This one has the nicest and most delicate flavour out there. If you happen to get it, they will measure you its alcohol content before buying, so you will know.

The most common is 70%, but you can get lower or higher, depends on the producer. It can also be faked: 1 glass of Łącka diluted with Royal American (neither royal nor American): will have similar alcohol content as well as scent, but at any rate will be the genuine one.

Łącka is bottled at least at 60%-63%, 50% would be too low. Though I have Bosacka 52% and still wondering how good it will be.

Read again. NAD+ was just a joke on the word nad. You know...nads! As in "Go Nads!" The general consensus is that alcohol, whether grape or otherwise, makes the best absinthe.

Based on where that's being sold, I'd guess marketing.

Oh. Well here's a picture of NAD+. I thought you were talking about Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide. My bad.

I had a buzz for a minute there, but now for some strange reason it's gone. :blink:

Edited by BrotherO

Hi to everybody, also pure alcohol has one taste of his.

Pure alcohol cannot be pure, there is a small percentage of water him that it gives taste.

In phase of distillation he can distill very well to 80% abv, the tails are picked up separately and then you mix to liking.

I know very well the taste of the grape and to also make an example the blanche de fougerolles uses the grape, perhaps the taste a too pò also feels him.

The alcohol of wine contributes to the taste of the absinthe make complete, using alcohol of wheat or washed of sugar an absinthe it is gotten by the flat taste, ciao a tutti.

How much I have written IMHO.

p.s.

excuse me for the bad English :(

Edited by FAROM