elric13

Absinthe is...

...fascinating stuff...

As a total aside...

perhaps Absinth'aholics pooh-pooh Moulin Rouge... much to your chagrin.

Moulin Rouge is a fantastic film... as film.

An absolutely brilliant sound/image reverse of Romeo + Juliet.

I love absinthe as a new tool:

Absinthe-only session

The morning-after absinthe session

Absinthe in-between other sessions

Absinthe after-the-other-booze session

Extremely interesting material.

Now I must ask, those of you in-the-know... truly, the amount of (insert porkchop here) makes absolutely no difference whatsoever???? Truly???

:cheers:

Edited by elric13

I get no secondfairies.

None.

Doesn't matter which brand.

I simply love absinthe.

And all of the amazing people I've met since discovering it.

If I want a truly different buzz, I drink Chartreuse.

Actually, I believe it was based on Pucinni's La Bohme (it's been a while since I've seen the movie and can't exactly remember how the plot goes). So it's an adaptation of an opera adapted from a play adapted from Roman Poetry (Pyramus and Thisbe, from Ovid's Metamorphoses), adapted from Babylonian folklore. That story sure gets around.

I trip balz on some stuff and get nothing from others. Still elric, don't expect a drug-like experience. Really. It ain't gonna happen.

It's just an exhilarated drunk. Espresso is stronger. Also: the figures given by distributors are guesses at best. Do you think all those guys really fork out the bucks to have their swill chemically analyzed?

The amount of thujone in absinthe's that have been chemically tested is so low that I doubt it is even noticeable. Some studies support that, showing that even at a level higher than the highest concentration in absinth (King of spirits gold's supposed 100mg/l) it has barely noticeable effects that are opposite of normal secondaries. Thujone might be part of the effect by mixing with something else, that isn't know.

I've experienced secondaries on and off with most of what I've tasted in volumn. Often it's the feel of a lighter more energetic drunk like others have described. Getting drunk off of normal liquor now leaves a bit of a heavy feeling that I know I didn't notice before I experienced the absinthe drunk.

Speaking of La Bohme, I have heard they are making a movie of "Rent" but I have also heard they might be leaving out some of the racier songs so we will see if it's any good.

perhaps Absinth'aholics pooh-pooh Moulin Rouge... much to your chagrin.

Moulin Rouge is a fantastic film... as film. 

I'm sure Jose Ferrer will thank you for that kind endorsement, from the great beyond. :P :cheers:

Often it's the feel of a lighter more energetic drunk like others have described.  Getting drunk off of normal liquor now leaves a bit of a heavy feeling that I know I didn't notice before I experienced the absinthe drunk.

That's it exactly. The first evening, MDCaW & I only made it through the first 3 (which left the Jade for the next day... now I'm glad I did) before we were both... done. Energy? Unusual clarity for an alcohol buzz? Not sure how to describe it. But the effect is definitely there. Most noticable after the 'get drunk first, make last drink absinthe' session. Slam down 6 (or so) shots of freezer vodka, let that settle in, then try the absinthe. Afterwards, again, that feeling of... clarity???

At any rate, very interesting stuff...

:drunk:

I'm surprised you can feel anything after slamming down six shots of vodka. I find that the effects of regular booze just get in the way.

What can I say... I was a boring regular alcoholic before progressing to becoming an enlightened irregular absinthaholic??? :hyper:

I would tend to agree with your second statement, but I'm still playing... I'm already thinking along the lines of 'reg-booze only' and 'absinthe only' sessions. But the mix-n-match sessions still have merits, at least to me at this time. Just as I've decided that the lighter fluid stuff (in this case, WF60) is the work week buzz, saving the goodies (Jade) for the weekend buzz.

In fact, DAMN, typing is thirsty work!!! (pause for louche) Ahhhh... THERE we are!!!

And as aside to Jack, it should please him that I'm keeping the WF60 in the cupboard under the kitchen sink right next to the rat poison. Hell, when I accidentally mixed up the 2 containers the other night, I barely noticed the difference!!! Although I must admit the rat poison didn't louche worth a damn. An astonishing amount of clarity before the convulsions though!!! :laf:

However, a question regarding your first statement: it certainly appears from pictures here & there that get-togethers seem to have many different boozes laying about... is this merely to cater to barbarians such as myself???

Edited by elric13

I just saw the "Green Fairy" episode of Thirsty Traveler. In it Ted B. (please comment if you're reading Ted) said that his tests show that the thujone stays in the still, doesn't make it to the finished product, and therefore everything written about thijone, including justifications to ban the sale of absinthe, are fallacious.

On the other hand, Absente produces a heavy drunk feeling for me, completley different from the light airy absinthe effect. Other than the substitution of Petite Wormwood for regular wormwood, Absente claims a list of ingredients common in absinthe.

Therefore, some component of wormwood must be responsible for the secondaries. Whether or not its thujone, I have no idea.

That's pretty much true. Only a very small amount of residual thujone makes it through the distillation process.

That's why Jack swears by Sqertz's stuff, which makes him trip (on his) balls.

Probably not. Although I have officially determined why preban absinthe made drinkers trip balz while today's won't. It wasn't the wormwood, it was the Ergot stills they made it in. And all this time we were all duped into thinking that it was really Egrot so nobody would find out the secret. ^_^

The closest thing I can find to a "tongue planted firmly in cheek" emoticon: ^_^

I think it's possible that something in the wormwood or maybe even thujone interacts with some of the other herbs to produce the effect. It could explain why pastis/absente or alcohol and thujone only drinks don't give the same effect as absinthe.

The problem is that it would take quite a bit of testing to find out what that combination is, if it exists at all, and researchers that haven't already bought into the thujone myth. If the combination was found, it would just result in the new version of thujone marketing with many poor quality absinth coming on the market will ballz tripping claims.

...Other than the substitution of Petite Wormwood for regular wormwood, Absente claims a list of ingredients common in absinthe....

I don't believe there is Petite Wormwood, which is also known as Artemisia Pontica, in Absente. I believe they claim to use "Southern" Wormwood, which I've never heard to have been used in Absinthe production.

From the importer: "Absente is comprised of several exotic botanicals, one of which is the herb SouthernWormwood, Wormwood's less bitter cousin. SouthernWormwood, known as "Petite Absinthe", contains minimal levels of Thujone, the natural chemical compound in Wormwood, allowing us to bring this product to the American market."

The part that I find puzzling is that petite absinthe is pontica.

From http://www.holistic-online.com/Herbal-Med/_Herbs/h312.htm:

Southernwood

"Active Compounds:

Volatile oil with a high level of thujone

Sesquiterpene bitter principles: including absinthine, anab. sinthine, artabsine and matricine

Volatile oil, of variable compostition, usually containing a- and b-thujone as the major component, up to about 35%; with thujyl alcohol, azulenes including chamazulene, 3,6- and 5,6- dihydrochamazulene; bisabolene, cadinene, camphene, sabinene, trans-sabinylacetate, pinene, phellandrene and others"

So I dunno. Its an interesting curiosity.

I'm already thinking along the lines of 'reg-booze only' and 'absinthe only' sessions.
A Good Idea.
...it certainly appears ... that get-togethers seem to have many different boozes laying about... is this merely to cater to barbarians such as myself??
Hm. No. Now and again we'll have something on hand for non-absinthe-drinkers, but 98% of it is absinthe. Can you point to an example?

Mr. GG, the stuff in Absente isn't Petite Wormwood, it's "Southern Wormwood", which is sometimes erroneously identified as Petite (or Roman) Wormwood. I think Absente is deliberately misleading on this point.

I'm going to pull a "Frenchman Phil" here for a moment: while I accept that the hype over thujone is undue and exaggerated, and that the absinthe effect may be caused by a combination of compounds (safrole and anethol for instance), I think that people are going over the top about how little thujone there is in absinthe. Some have gone as far as to attempt denying that there was any thujone in pre-ban, which is absurd.

The volatile oil is the primary constituent of wormwood, aside from cellulose, and makes up .5% - 1.0% of the dried leaves and flowering tops. This oil is what makes wormwood what it is - flavor, aroma, toxins, etc. Live wormwood is so fragrant because this oil is so volatile and readily evaporates. Since thujone is the chief active constituent of wormwood oil, I'd like for someone to suggest just which other compounds would be responsible for the wormwood flavor and aroma in the better absinthes, by name.

I'm already thinking along the lines of 'reg-booze only' and 'absinthe only' sessions.
A Good Idea.
...it certainly appears ... that get-togethers seem to have many different boozes laying about... is this merely to cater to barbarians such as myself??
Hm. No. Now and again we'll have something on hand for non-absinthe-drinkers, but 98% of it is absinthe. Can you point to an example?

Sirrah, I stand corrected. It was those wastrels & cads over at LocheLounge that featured other materials:

Beer at an Absinthe party????

After reviewing the too-dark, shaky, poorly framed, photoshopped photos featured in THIS forum, it is quite obvious that the folks in the Wormwood Society are, indeed, absinthe elitests of the highest caliber!!!

Edited by elric13

WhyteKnight, the link you gave (Herbal-Med) is to Artemisia absinthium, not Southernwood.

Snap. I wasn't P'ing TFA when I was looking for information. I stand corrected. I find myself extremely skepitcal about anything they claim is in Absente though. Hey and if it does have it, you can look forward to increased menstrual flow. One thing though, is that it looks as though it would have at least some minute amount of thujone in it. Despite the fact that the FDA's food additive list shows restrictions for Artemisia spp., it lists A. pallens wall, Davana, separately as having no restrictions. All the looking I've done has led me to believe that Davana contains no thujone and this may be why it is listed separately, thus indicating that if southernwood were also completely thujone free, it might also get its own listing. Or its possible that they just arbitrarily threw it together. On another note, I wonder what's considered a detectable level of thujone in the FDA's preferred method of testing.