salsa

Louche fee... like corkage?

I'm curious if anybody ever persuaded a bartender or server to put a drink together with booze brought in from the outside, similar to paying corkage to enjoy your own wine in their restaurant? Would it be legal?

The restaurant "Absinthe" in San Francisco is one of my favorite spots-- great menu and spot on service-- and they make the only decent sazerac I've had outside NOLA; would be great to bring in something more correct than Pernod.

I have heard good things about that restaurant you speak of. I look forward to checking it out myself.

I have paid a bar a "corkage" to make absinthe drinks before. I don't really see why it would be illegal - but then I am not an expert. I should leave the commenting on that to others more highly qualified.

My friend Steve often tends bar at our favorite alehouse in Bellingham, and he helped louche up a bunchof absinthes for a tasting back in 2002.

Of course, it was after hours, and his dad owned the tavern, so that prolly doesn't count. :)

The last time I tried that I got kicked out of the bar. The bartender even tried to confiscate my booze. I put up a fight and he got nothing other than the pleasure of booting me. :(

I'm curious if anybody ever persuaded a bartender or server to put a drink together with booze brought in from the outside, similar to paying corkage to enjoy your own wine in their restaurant? Would it be legal?

The restaurant "Absinthe" in San Francisco is one of my favorite spots-- great menu and spot on service-- and they make the only decent sazerac I've had outside NOLA; would be great to bring in something more correct than Pernod.

Perhaps you can give it a shot at the restaurant to prepare for the gang before they arrive? Thoughts?

I would think that in some states you'd run into tax payment issues. That doesn't mean that the barkeep won't let you do it. Just that he isn't supposed to.

At that particular restaurant they're very unreceptive to the idea. Last season Jess and I were symphony-night regulars at Absinthe, and we were pretty well known there. I talked with the bar manager and the head bartender both about ways I might bring or leave absinthe there, and I would say they were intractable. The most promising suggestion was that if I had a private party in their "secret" banquet room (entered through a hidden doorway) I would be in "more control of what was brought in to be served".

That place also has no clue how to serve pastis. They have many brands, which is unusual for a mainstream restaurant, but they've made up their own quirky serving protocol which insures you'll wind up with either a warm drink or icewater all over your table. I've discussed it with them several times, and sent a polite, thorough email on the subject to their bar manager, but their ritual never changes.

Edited by Wild Bill Turkey