Brooks

Absinthism: a fictitious 19th century syndrome with present impact

I've only done a cursory skim of this article from the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH), but it looks pretty solid.

The link was posted on one of eGullet's absinthe threads.

Edited by Brooks

RATS! Ari posted this link eons ago........like, in MAY! No flies on Ari, boy. He's ON the case.

Hiram, delete this thread, wouldja please? Sorry for the inconvenience.

New to me!

Saving it as a favorite for review, Brooks. Thanks! Neat find. Too bad they have it under the root of "substance abuse".

Edited by MASTERPC

Yeah, but Ari....you ARE on the case. You just are.

There's a limit to how much science jargon I can absorb before pins pop out of my head. MPC, fax me a synopsis, please.

Edited by Brooks

What a hoot! I'm amazed and what can be found out there!

I think that guy was actually Marv Levy.

I always wondered how he'd handle retirement after coaching the Bills to four Super Bowl defeats in a row.

I was kinda hoping that he'd suddenly spazz out at the finale, and start swearing uncontrollably, and breaking stuff. :devil:

Could be. But you know, your fantasies aside, Marv was a classy enough coach to be enjoying his retirement sipping absinthe. Buffalo's just cursed and you have to accept that. Have you noticed how the Sabres are dropping like flies recently?

They're still the best team in the NHL, as of this morning, but, no doubt, they'll lose to Ottawa yet again today, and Nashville will take the top spot back.

Besides, the Buffalo curse will always hold sway, and the Sabres will NEVER take the Stanley Cup, any more than the Bills will EVER win a superbowl. :angry:

Again, never say "never". Hell, The 'Canes did it, didn't they (albeit many a transplant players joined from the north)?

no doubt, they'll lose to Ottawa yet again today,

Wrong-o. ' course they had to win it the old fashioned way. With a fight and blood on the ice. Ah, the good old days of hockey. But of course, that means another injured player out indefinitely.

I guess the odds favored Buffalo winning at least one game over Ottawa this year, but you're probably right on point in thinking that, by playoff time, they'll be so depleted that a run for the cup won't happen.