#31 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:03 AM

No.

And while Maggie's evidence may be somewhat anecdotal, her research has been significant. :devil:

#32 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,254 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:03 AM

Maybe there something in there to which certain people are very sensitive. Kind of like some people can smell a cyanide poisoning, while others can't.

Mmmmmm. Almonds.

Comparing the Frankie Guy to Jade is like comparing a good ale to Chimay.

Chimay isn't a good ale? But it costs so much.

Thanks for the update on the Moulin Vert. ... I will probably dump it at some point along with the Strong 68

And waste all that carb cleaner?

I think we've at least established that taste is entirely subjective and largely genetic. I find it interesting that this disparateness of observations is so common with absinthe in particular. Of course, I haven't spent a lot of time on wine or whisky forums, but I'll bet they don't have many arguments over gym sock funk and whether or not a particular brand has it. Maybe there are peculiarities about some of the specific herbs in question that, like cyanide and 6-n-propylthiouracil, people perceive very differently.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#33 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:11 AM

I would mostly agree with you, Hiram. There is a lot of difference in perception of taste with absinthe - it is such a complex drink!

I go to a wine tasting at least every week, and most of the time, no we do not argue over flavour profiles as much as in an absinthe forum - most of the time. I found found that there are certain varieties of wines where there is more discrepecny with taste perception. I remeber one heated arguement that divided the room: One group thought the wine tasted like an old refrigerator, and the other half loved it, and could not pick up the funk. Go figure. I tasted the funk in the wine. I do not, however, tast funk in Jades. I was able (lucky me) to taste the PF1901 last night, and really enjoyed it. To me, the smell was so similar to a type of filled chocolate I received at Christmas time. I could hardly take my nose out of the glass!
Nothing is simpler than to complete pictures in a superficial sense. Never does one lie so cleverly as then. - Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec

#34 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:21 AM

Comparing the Frankie Guy to Jade is like comparing a good ale to Chimay.

Chimay isn't a good ale? But it costs so much.

The wording did make the analogy a bit obscure. Instead of good ale, perhaps I should have said average ale, meaning that Chimay is above average. I like most ales, including Chimay. I like Frankie G but consider the Jades significantly better. I'm surprised at the number of average beer drinkers that can't stand above average ales. Whether ale or absinthe, there is a complexity in above average products that takes some time and experience to be appreciated.

I think we've at least established that taste is entirely subjective and largely genetic.

Absolutely.

Edited by Hiram, 22 January 2007 - 07:14 PM.

#35 Oscar

Oscar

“Life is good”

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:34 AM

In the future all absinthe will taste burnt™.
"Enjoy life. This is not a dress rehearsal."

#36 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,601 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:05 AM

So, you've seen the future, and it doesn't work?

Welcome to the club, Trashcan Man! :cheers:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#37 Oscar

Oscar

“Life is good”

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:06 AM

The only bona fide absinthe produced anywhere in the world will always be only a few marks from the burnt™ taste of the originals.

#38 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,601 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:20 AM

Or a few teds.

#39 Oscar

Oscar

“Life is good”

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:22 AM

We have a brain. :)

#40 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:26 AM

One more thought, Geoff:
After you try another glass, if you still don't like the flavor of the Jade there are
( A ) people willing to take it off your hands for the money you paid for it.
( B ) people willing to swap samples of other interesting beverages that you haven't tried or know you like.

What T73 said.
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#41 Oscar

Oscar

“Life is good”

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:27 AM

Um, no.

#42 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,601 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:32 AM

Yes, and I want to thank you for graciously allowing me to share yours, but I think it's time I stopped being such a freeloader, and purchased one of my own. :cheers:

Edited by Absomphe, 18 January 2007 - 08:32 AM.

#43 DesertWolf

DesertWolf

Absinthe Geek

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:57 AM

That explains why you seemed smarter Absomphe!! :P
Looking for absinthe near you? Check The Absinthe Finder

I start to feel like I am in an existentialist play written by a person with multiple personality disorder...

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." -- Philip K. Dick

"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart." -- ee cummings

#44 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• Diamond Member
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:02 AM

"Seemed"? :devil:
"I read an article recently on the dangers of heavy drinking..
Scared the shit out of me.
So, that's it! After today, no more reading."

#45 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:10 AM

Yes, and I want to thank you for graciously allowing me to share yours, but I think it's time I stopped being such a freeloader

You mean bottom-feeder :devil:
"I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun! Very monastic." - Kosmo

#46 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:39 AM

I believe everything depends on one's sensitivity to various aromas, scents and nuances that only absinthe can bestow upon the drinker. Remember, that all the ingredients are here for some purpose and for one there will be funk in it, for other the absinthe will require more sugar cubes and so on. If you happen to taste freshly picked wormwood leaf, you will discover that that its taste is very complex and if you keep it for a while in a mouth, you will be enchanted by the overwhelming mintiness but not like in mint and very tiny cinammon note. Marvellous experience :) For example, tansy flower has a definite camphorous character but if you find that nuance in your absinthe (if the producer of course used tansy as an ingredient) you will discover how floral and fruity it is. From my own experience, if you keep absinthe longer in the mouth you will feel how the particular aromas develop separetely, there is aniseed with its sweetness, veronica, so spicy but no overwhelming, wormwood hiding in the back leaving subtle bitterness or angelica which when used in proper amount can taste like calamus, however lacking the root character. Enjoy your absinthes slowly and with patience and within time you will probably forget detecting any funk or sock taste :cheers:
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#47 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,601 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:18 PM

How right you are, Elf...

In Buffalo, this one antiques dealer was so jealous that I beat him to most of the good "scores" that he nicknamed me "The Carp". :devil:

Of course, his nickname was "Toothless", so I wasn't the least bit insulted.

Edited by Absomphe, 18 January 2007 - 02:20 PM.

#48 coolbreeze5160

coolbreeze5160

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:08 AM

good morning all...iv'e just uncorked my first bottle of Jade PF 1901.....my taste buds are whirling trying to capture all of it....the black liqorice, the tip of my tounge is numb....hmmm..the rest is dancing and alive..clears the senses....very good sipping cocktail....i will let you know how the rest of the weekend goes and the after effects..Luscious Oily Lesbians!.... :cheers: .Al

#49 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:41 AM

You may want to go here and make a proper introduction. Click the "NewTopic" button found on the right above "Forum Options".

Considering that PF 1901 tastes nothing like black licorice and your avatar shills a vendor known for promoting Czech swill I presume you are drinking Czechsnithe right now and unwilling to admit such. Furthermore, your desire for "effects" indicates that perhaps you've fallen prey to the thujone marketing of the aforementioned vendor. I'm sorry that you wasted your money.

Either that or you're a puppet, in which case you won't be around long.

Sorry if I seem overly harsh in my initial comments however the Alandia site does not carry any Jades except the Combier Blanchette. This product sells for 25 Euros from a recommended vendor LdF. At Alandia it is 36 Euros.

PS There's something called the "shift" key, it has the amazing ability to create the Capital Letters I am using.

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#50 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:09 AM

What's with the mean streak lately, DP? :devil:

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#51 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:28 AM

How right you are, Elf...

I think you missed the bottom line. Butt maybe you'll catch a whiff this time :harhar:

What's with the mean streak lately, DP? :devil:

House cleaning always puts me in a bad mood.
"I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun! Very monastic." - Kosmo

#52 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

• 3,825 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:36 AM

I did say I was sorry if I sounded harsh.

I'll attribute it to the New Moon which just passed. I always get in a foul mood at the time, where little things that don't bother me at other times really great at that time. Then, the fangs and claws come out, and I'm ready for... blood. :D

And there are inconsistencies between coolbreeze's avatar, beverage (inconsistent with avatar and what 1901 really is) and mention of "effects". Just red flags to me. Hints of troll or puppet. I hope I'm wrong and coolbreeze turns out to be a valuable member of WS.

:wave2:

"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#53 Martin Lake

Martin Lake

The Great Lover of Mankind

• 2,163 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:54 AM

No need to apologize. It's good to sharpen your teeth from time to time.
Ah, la petite mort; such beautiful suicide.

#54 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:57 AM

Hints of troll or puppet.

:laf: Sounds like tasting notes for a Czechsinthe!
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#55 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:04 AM

"Hmmm, in this wonderously fetid drink I'm tasting subtle hints of troll."

"Marvelous."

"Mm, yes."

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#56 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

• 3,825 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:32 AM

No need to apologize. It's good to sharpen your teeth from time to time.

Especially important for a rat like me.

#57 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:41 AM

I thought you were a ground hog. :huh:
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#58 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:49 AM

Dp, I thought you were a one of the guinea pigs Captain Jacob described is his book Discours d'un Capitaine A Ses Soldats, that was injected with absinthe "essence" as a study of the effects of absinthe.
Nothing is simpler than to complete pictures in a superficial sense. Never does one lie so cleverly as then. - Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec

#59 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

• 3,825 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:16 AM

I don't know the exact source. I found the image on www.thujone.info (it's listed as Fig 5). The site doesn't say where these images come from, so you could be right AD. Looks like it's describing the "experiments of Dr. Laborde" if that's any help (text in French).

But yes it does look more like a guinea pig instead of a rat. That's probably more appropriate given the quantities of absinthe I consume. :devil:

#60 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:19 AM

I have just finally gotten around to reading "Absinthe - History In A Bottle", which describes the experiement and has those sketches in it. I am really enjoying this book, by the way.

Edited by Alyssa Dyane, 20 January 2007 - 11:20 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association