95 replies to this topic

#31 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,725 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:12 AM

You won't be disappointed. I'm enjoying it more and more.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#32 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,403 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:21 AM

I was down with the stuff until that "hint of Amaretto sweetness" was mentioned.

Now I'm back to fence sitting.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#33 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,725 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:22 AM

It's not an overpowering sweetness. Just a hint. I say bite the bullet and grab a bottle.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#34 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,403 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:31 AM

It's not an overpowering sweetness. Just a hint. I say bite the bullet and grab a bottle.

:arrr:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#35 gfpoet

gfpoet

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:16 PM

I received my bottles of Perique today. :D

It is amazing. I love the taste and yes, there is just a hint of Amaretto sweetness.

It is very very good. Congrats to Ted on another success! :cheers:

I'm certainly glad I bought 2 bottles.

#36 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:33 PM

I'm hoping to squeeze in a couple of minutes before my interview to pick up mine tomorrow. It's hard to believe that I'm more excited about the bottles of Perique than I am about the bottles of absinthe, especially being a non-smoker.
"The decline of the aperitif may well be one of the most depressing phenomena of our time." -- Luis Bunuel

#37 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:18 PM

I have no idea how I'm going to get my packages.
Yeah, packages. One containing two bottles of Perique, and another with one apiece of 1901 and N.O. :(

:drunk: I'll bet the flying monkeys had to get a bigger truck just for all that stuff you ordered! Jeez louise man, I'm envious!
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#38 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• Diamond Member
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:57 AM

It's hard to believe that I'm more excited about the bottles of Perique than I am about the bottles of absinthe..

and your interview. :harhar:
"I read an article recently on the dangers of heavy drinking..
Scared the shit out of me.
So, that's it! After today, no more reading."

#39 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:45 AM

Oh, that...

The manager I'm training with had to work a double shift last night, so he I worked with him through the whole thing and he gave me today off. I picked up my packages a half hour ago, stared at the bottles for a couple of minutes, and now I'm getting myself into the "interview" mindset.

When I get home from the interview, I'm opening the Perique.
"The decline of the aperitif may well be one of the most depressing phenomena of our time." -- Luis Bunuel

#40 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:54 AM

Hopefully, in celebration!
Nothing is simpler than to complete pictures in a superficial sense. Never does one lie so cleverly as then. - Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec

#41 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• Diamond Member
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:46 AM

What AD said, fer sure.

#42 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:19 AM

When the interview started, I was told that if the interview went well I would be called back next week for a second interview, and if that went well the store manager would interview me himself after that. After this first interview, I was asked to come back this afternoon to be interviewed by the store manager. So I can't open the Perique yet, but tonight it will be in celebration!

Thanks, MPC and AD!

#43 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• Diamond Member
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:22 AM

Great news! :cheers:

Let us know how the afternoon interview goes along with the Perique tasting tonight!

#44 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:49 AM

Congrats, Ubu! :cheers: I only hope that my interviewing situation turns out half as well.
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#45 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• Diamond Member
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:51 AM

Good luck, Doc! In your corner, too, all the way! :)

#46 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:00 PM

I'm sure it will, jcbphd. Let us know so I can toast from afar!

#47 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,725 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:13 PM

Grats Ubu! And good luck Jc! :cheers:

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#48 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:01 PM

I was hired, and I'll be making more than I ever have.
But on to the real good news: I just tried the Perique and I love it. I agree with Shabba's comment that if you didn't know the product was tobacco derived you probably wouldn't notice it. To me the nose and the taste are very similar to a good cognac, but with a hint of tea. I think the smell of fresh tobacco leaves can be barely detected in the tea-like scent hiding behind the initial alcoholic cognac-like nose. The tea-like flavor really comes out in the aftertaste when sipping it slowly. The amaretto sweetness that Shabba mentioned isn't too sweet; to me it's just barely there. I hope Jade continues to make it.
I almost forgot: the Perique bottle doesn't have wax and it has a T-cork.
Maybe I'll try the 1901 later.

Edit: I started sipping it some more, and the sweetness is a little more than 'barely there' like I said above. It still isn't too much, though.

Edited by ubu, 17 January 2007 - 03:04 PM.

#49 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:10 PM

I'm cracking up at your priorities, Ubu! :laf: I agree with you...booze first, then career! :cheers:

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#50 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:11 PM

Hooray for UBU! Honey, I will toast you later on after I get out of this forsaken office.
Nothing is simpler than to complete pictures in a superficial sense. Never does one lie so cleverly as then. - Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec

#51 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:55 PM

OK, can I just take a moment to vent my job search frustration? :angry:

Once again I find myself facing people's ignorance of Counseling Psychology versus Clinical Psychology degrees. Without getting too deeply into this, they are essentially the same thing with the same curriculum, only clinical psych folks sometimes look down upon us counseling psych folks. However, the fact remains that my degree is in psychology. It was not easier than a clinical degree. I didn't choose it because it was easier to get into a counseling psychology program. In fact, it is often harder because there are fewer counseling psych programs out there. The fact is that my degree is good enough for the state of MO to give me my psychologist license, so that speaks volumes about the parity of the curriculum between clinical and counseling psychology programs.

With that said, the head of a local community college's psychology department, who herself is an MSW, just informed me that my "counseling" degree would not permit me to teach their basic Intro to Psych course since it is not a "real psychology" degree, but that I would be suitable to teach a Theories of Personality course!

Please pardon me while I explode. :blowup:

How asinine is that? My "non-psychology degree", which BTW is a psychology degree first and foremost, isn't good enough to teach a basic course, but it is good enough for a more advanced one?!? Even more laughable is the fact that a community college is refusing to acknowledge my degree for what it is, while the state licensing board, which has a much greater stake in whether my degree qualifies as a "genuine psychology degree" or not, seems clear that I do have a psychology degree and that I am a licensed psychologist. :no:

And now back to your regularly scheduled forum discussion on Perique tobacco.

#52 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:01 PM

Ummm, so are you going to teach the more advanced course?

I'm sorry to hear about all of this. Maybe this belongs in the Ignorance Abounds thread.

#53 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• Diamond Member
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:24 PM

Ubu, congrats, really! :cheers:

Doc, damn. I dunno what to say. Will later.. :( :angry2: :g:

#54 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,823 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:41 PM

Well congrats ubu! That's just awesome! I'm really glad things worked out for you. I hope the job itself works out as well. Certainly it sounds like the folks you'll be working for really appreciate you skills and experience right from the start.

I'm sorry jcbphd that you're having those difficulties. I'm with AD. Teach the advanced course. Maybe later you'll come across a college with a more sensible administration. Or perhaps they're just testing you.

All this talk of how good the Perique is, makes me want to order a bottle. I just know that I'd order some absinthe too, and the bank account simply can't handle that right now.
"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. www.delawarephoenix.com

#55 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for the support, peeps. I'm with you, DP, on being mighty tempted to order some of that Perique. If there's any left when I make my next absinthe order, I'm sure a bottle will sneak into my cart. ;)

#56 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:46 PM

If you're going to teach the advanced course, jcbphd, congratulations; if not, I know you'll end up with something great.

#57 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• Diamond Member
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:58 PM

Well said, Ubu.

#58 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:07 AM

The community college gig was actually only supposed to be a favor to them since one of their instructors had to bail on them this semester. I'm still unsure of whether I'll do the advanced course or not. It all depends on whether they will pay me what I expect for the amount of work they want me to do. The way I figure it, they're the ones in a tight spot here. ;)

The real job search is another story. Suffice it to say that private practice is killing me with a serious cash flow shortage, no insurance, no benefits, etc. Also, I'm just not an entrepreneur, so it's time for me to admit that to myself and go in search of my dream job with a steady paycheck and benefits. I started my search last week and have already had two preliminary interviews with a company that I think would be a good fit. Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me! :wave2:

#59 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• Diamond Member
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:15 AM

Will do, Doc, will do. Thanks for sharing and please, by all means, keep us posted!

#60 Martin Lake

Martin Lake

The Great Lover of Mankind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:20 AM

Likewise. Good luck doc.

Edited by Martin Lake, 18 January 2007 - 09:21 AM.

Ah, la petite mort; such beautiful suicide.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association