Some more info on Perique tobacco

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 gfpoet

gfpoet

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:30 PM

Here is a link that has pages of a book from 1897 scanned in. It talks about the Perique tobacco.

Just in case anyone is interested

http://www.saveseeds..._leaf_1897.html

#2 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,811 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:40 PM

That's some great background! Thanks for the link!
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#3 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:19 PM

Thanks!

#4 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,811 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:58 AM

Got my bottles of Perique today! Was surprised they delivered it on Sunday. I'm glad I got two bottles, because one is going to be drained VERY quickly. It's an amazing liquor. And for those of you who think it may taste like you were gnawing on a cigar or something similar, rest assured, it's nothing like that. The hints of tobacco are so subtle. If you didn't know you were sipping on a tobacco liquor, you probably wouldn't be able to pick it out.

I love it!!!!!!

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#5 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:49 AM

I'm curious as to what is the best way to enjoy it. Room temperature from a snifter, or on the rocks, or some other way?
"The decline of the aperitif may well be one of the most depressing phenomena of our time." -- Luis Bunuel

#6 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,811 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:07 PM

I tried it neat and also on the rocks. I like it both ways. It's reminiscent of tea leaves with a hint of amaretto sweetness.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#7 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:11 PM

Sounds good. Thanks!
"The decline of the aperitif may well be one of the most depressing phenomena of our time." -- Luis Bunuel

#8 metodd1

metodd1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:13 PM

That does sound good. I am going to put an order in. I was also wondering how best to enjoy it. Couple of drops of water added? Seems for some reason like it might be better at room temperature vs. chilled.

Edit: I just placed an order for Perique, and threw in some PF 1901 and Verte Suisse for good measure.

Edited by metodd1, 14 January 2007 - 01:41 PM.

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He to whom this feeling is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed. -AE

#9 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,811 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:13 PM

Well played todd! :cheers:

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#10 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:32 AM

I'm surprised they delivered today, on MLK day. The bad thing is that I went to meet my fiance for lunch, and when I got back I had a Sorry We Missed You notice on my door. The thing that I hate about my P.O. is that it's almost impossible to get anything from them unless I'm off from work, which I won't be for several days. I have no idea how I'm going to get my packages.
Yeah, packages. One containing two bottles of Perique, and another with one apiece of 1901 and N.O. :(

#11 metodd1

metodd1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:04 AM

Don't you have an option to just go down there and pick up your packages at the courrier office after 5 or 6PM? Or, on the form they left, is there an option to get them to leave the packages at your door (or some specified location)?
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He to whom this feeling is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed. -AE

#12 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• Diamond Member
  • 4,737 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:18 AM

Yeah, Ubu, you should be able to pick it up at the station this eve. Give them a call. Or, sometimes, they'll come back out on the same day if they are remotely in your area. I missedflying monkeys a couple of times and called them to insist on redelivery stating that "TODAY is the only day that I will be in town to get the package". Won't know unless you try.
"I read an article recently on the dangers of heavy drinking..
Scared the shit out of me.
So, that's it! After today, no more reading."

#13 gfpoet

gfpoet

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:44 PM

My P.O. usually leaves it at my front door step, which I don't like, but appreciate sometimes because I do not have to go and pick it up.

I ordered 2 bottles of Perique from LDF about a week ago and still do not have them. I did get a delay notice in an email though. Hopefully I will get it at some point.

I hope it comes soon! Real anxious to try it.

#14 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:19 PM

is there an option to get them to leave the packages at your door (or some specified location)?

They have the slip checkmarked that I can't use that option. I can't pick it up today at the P.O. because it's closed for the holiday. The remainder of the week I'll be going in to work before the P.O. opens, and getting off after it closes. The only option I have is to sign the delivery slip so that someone else can pick it up.
This is the first time LdF hasn't used a courier likeflying monkeys for one of my shipments. I received an email about the delay as well, and I'm thinking that has something to do with them using the P.O.

#15 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• Diamond Member
  • 4,737 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:58 PM

I don't understand. Its a Fed Holiday but you got a delivery from the P.O.? That makes no sense. Welp, have them hold it at the P.O. then until you can pick it up. Strange.
I know you'll be happy to get your goodies!

#16 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:06 PM

Yeah, I guess because of the delays a serious priority must have been put on them.

#17 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,678 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:15 PM

I'm surprised they delivered today, on MLK day.

Just like I'm surprised every year when Tish doesn't get the day off from teaching on the rez for MLK day.

Apparently, solidarity is more selective than I would have imagined. :(

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#18 metodd1

metodd1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:43 PM

That is weird that they would deliver today...

You could try calling in sick to work. :D

Or, just call in late or something (car trouble, UFO, etc.)

#19 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:21 PM

I told you it was good.

It's reminiscent of tea leaves with a hint of amaretto sweetness.

Good description.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#20 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:21 PM

"You could try calling in sick..."

I wish I could, but I'm too new.

I'm also underpaid*...

Now I'm confused.

*I had two opportunities last month from which to choose, and I chose the wrong one. It turns out the job I thought wouldn't steal my soul has given me far more responsibilities than were originally discussed. The negotiated pay, however, hasn't changed. I should have gone with the soul stealing, higher paying job. I think the level of stress would probably be no greater.

Edited by ubu, 15 January 2007 - 04:22 PM.

#21 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,811 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:32 PM

I'm surprised they delivered today, on MLK day.

I'm surprised that they delivered mine on Sunday.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#22 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:50 PM

Make sure your resume has all those additional responsibilities listed as part of your accomplishments. It'll help you remember them when review time comes around and you can use them as leverage in getting a raise or promotion. Especially when the company has official job descriptions and you're doing the job of some higher paying position. :devil:

And if they don't pony up with the moola, use these new skills as leverage to get a better job - at another company. Then of course they'll bitch and moan about how you're "letting them down" at such an important time, how important you are, blah, blah.

Remember, they'll RIF you and your job right over to China (India, or wherever) in a heartbeat if they can.

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#23 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:02 PM

That's good advice. Thank you, DP. I have an interview Wednesday with another company. My position at my previous job was higher than the one I have now, but I'm basically doing the same thing while supervising twice as many people at the new job. I won't say how much of a pay cut it is, but it's bad.

The two boxes from LdF are going to be rationed for a while, until I find something better. On the bright side, I still have unfinished bottles of Ike, Eddy, Serpis 65 (for some reason I fell out of love with that one fast), and L'Artisinale. Seeing that typed out has lifted my mood considerably.

#24 metodd1

metodd1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:54 PM

I missed out on L'Artisinale. <_<

#25 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:01 PM

I had two opportunities last month from which to choose, and I chose the wrong one.

Don't forget that it is easy to assume that you chose the wrong one because you now have more information on the job you chose, but not on the one you didn't. The honeymoon is over with your current job. But that doesn't mean that the other option was better. Who knows, it could have been even worse. You made the best choice you could with the information you had at the time.

Good luck on that upcoming interview! I had one myself today. :cheers:
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#26 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:06 PM

Thanks; good luck to you too!

#27 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:57 PM

Good luck to both of you. :cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#28 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• Diamond Member
  • 4,737 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:14 AM

Good luck to everyone who might be lookin'!

#29 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:33 AM

Argh, I couldn't take it anymore. The perique sounded so tasty I ordered a couple bottles today. Now it's up to the flying monkeys. :wave2:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#30 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• Diamond Member
  • 4,737 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:37 AM

Congrats. Let us know what you think when you get 'em and try.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association