gfpoet

Jade's new release - Perique

- A couple of tweaks have been made since the summer. The result is a touch more flavor and potency, but not at the expense of refinement and smoothness. I'm no smoker, but I like the aroma of tobacco, especially Perique tobacco. The challenge was to capture the essence of that aroma.

If it tastes anything like a good pipe tobacco smells, I'm definitely going to need a bottle.

I can now imagine myself kicking back with a glass of that and a pipe full of a nice Black Cavendish blend. :)

- The (non-existent) method for nicotine assay in a liquid matrix is still being perfected, but it appears that issue is resolved.

One thing I was wondering: does this mean the Perique liqueur does contain nicotine or that it does not?

One thing I was wondering: does this mean the Perique liqueur does contain nicotine or that it does not?

It means that as far as we can tell, the finished product is free of nicotine.

Interesting!

I've actually been thinking a lot about tobacco and tobacco-like flavors in cocktail lately.

The idea of starting with something which I know is poisonous to ingest put me off from trying a cold compounded liqueur or infusion.

There's a South African tea called Rooibos that has some interesting similar flavors I am hoping to experiment with soon.

I'm guessing, since there is no nicotine in the final product, you used a similar procedure to absinthe. Steeping the tobacco, distilling, and then possibly a second cold compound with additional flavors. Finally, filtering and sweetening.

In any case, what is the base spirit for the liqueur, if you don't mind me asking.

edit - Sorry if this seems like I'm asking for too much info. Liqueur making is a hobby of mine, so I was interested. Cheers! Erik

Edited by ejellest