gfpoet

Jade's new release - Perique

I see Jade's new release is available from LDF. It is Perique a tobacco based liquor.

Has anyone ever tried a tobacco based liquor? and if so how was it?

Trying to quit. :devil:

I had a taste in NO last summer and talked about it here a little. It was quite good. If Ted checks in, I hope he'll comment on the regulatory issues with having it available in the US. I'm just curious if the FDA would permit it. Nice label too.

Interesting history

Also mentioned in the last few sentences of this article on TB.

Edited by MASTERPC

Yeah, but does it make you trip balz?

Maybe yes, maybe no.

But I'll lay better than even money that it tastes at least somewhat burnt™.

I had a taste in NO last summer and talked about it here a little. It was quite good. If Ted checks in, I hope he'll comment on the regulatory issues with having it available in the US. I'm just curious if the FDA would permit it. Nice label too.

A few notes . . .

- A couple of tweaks have been made since the summer. The result is a touch more flavor and potency, but not at the expense of refinement and smoothness. I'm no smoker, but I like the aroma of tobacco, especially Perique tobacco. The challenge was to capture the essence of that aroma.

- The (non-existent) method for nicotine assay in a liquid matrix is still being perfected, but it appears that issue is resolved.

- Widespread distribution seems like a stretch at this point, simply because the availability of Perique is severely limited, which makes the liqueur a very low volume, specialty item. In fact, the only remaining commercial farmer is a personal friend, and cultivation of this fascinating, historical crop may soon be gone forever. Creating this liqueur is simply doing what I can to stimulate interest in a vanishing piece of a Louisiana tradition that was originally passed to the French by the native inhabitants.

Depicted in the photo is an entire annual crop of Perique, slowly fermenting in whiskey barrels. It's an interesting process, and the intensity of earthy, chocolatey aromas of Perique makes it quite unique.

post-108-1168052438_thumb.jpg

I don't know about this one. But, I'm open minded. Only one way to find out...Of course it will probably be good considering it is Jade.

And as I posted that, Ted made a post.

Earthy, chocolatey -- sounds good to me, and the history/crop are intriguing.

Edited by metodd1

Tried it last summer, and thought it was delicious. Just ordered two bottles — one for meself, one for me baby 'bro.

Thanks for the notes, Ted.

I just can't imagine a tobacco liquor being even remotely appetizing.
I'm no smoker, but I like the aroma of tobacco, especially Perique tobacco. The challenge was to capture the essence of that aroma.
That's the crux right there: it doesn't taste like tobacco tastes, it tastes like good (un-lit) tobacco smells. If Big Tobacco Cigarettes are your primary experience of what tobacco smells like, I can understand the trepidation. Unfortunately, there are so many additives in there, it doesn't smell or taste like tobacco anymore.

Damn; now I gotta go have a nice Turkish cigarette.

I've smelled good tobacco. If he manages to get the liquor to taste like good tobacco smells, I bet it's great. I just have a hard time imagining that tobacco--even good, unlit tobacco--tastes all that great. I'm sure it's better than licking the ashtray in the bar up the road, but is it really good?

Of course, if I didn't know better, I'd probably say the same thing about wormwood...so there you go.

Since: cigars smell like burning dog shit

and: cigars are made from tobacco

and: Perique is made from tobacco

though: it is not lit on fire

then: Perique tastes like unburnt™ dog shit

So it's not burnt™!

I'll reserve my poop opinion until I try some.

Grey Boy, I think I've heard you say that in another thread. :cheers:

I'd agree that a low quality cigar smells like dog smash, however, a good cigar smells (and tastes) like the furthest thing from it. A good, shade grown dominican robusto alight from across the room can be quite heavenly.

Keep in mind though, all cigars should be lit and smoked somewhere with good ventilation. Otherwise the smell gets stale and acrid. It can drive away even the best cigar smokers.

As for the liquor, I originally put in an order for one bottle, but rethought it. So I went back and got TWO instead! Weee!

Edited by Shabba53

I hope it's not sold out by next month. I've requested two bottles for my birthday.

You're too serious Shabba.

Well, I wouldn't want my financial planning done by some joker.

If I were into hiring the services of a financial planner, that is. ;)

I hope it's not sold out by next month. I've requested two bottles for my birthday.

Since a lot more people consume tobacco than wormwood, I bet it sells out fast.

The price seems very low given the rarity of real Perique and how much some people pay for cigars...

Tobacco liqueur? Sounds like a Philip K. Dick invention.

I'm waiting for digital cigarettes (or MIDI bidis)... :harhar:

Edited by Guillaume Lanfray

Well, I wouldn't want my financial planning done by some joker.

If I were into hiring the services of a financial planner, that is. ;)

I think I do a pretty good job of leaving the seriousness in the office. :P

Sometimes it peaks through after hours though. I'll try to keep it to a minimum. I think alcohol helps with that. :cheers:

Downstairs to the bar! :drunk: