dakini_painter

LA Times Pepper article

I'm reading what appears to me to be a very good article on pepper. Black pepper, white pepper, etc. From around the world. More than just Tellicherry (which is still the best). From the LA Times (Jan 03, 2007) I know we have a lot of food connoisseurs here, so I though this might be of interest.

The link is here

Edited by dakini_painter

Thanks for the link - I am just reading it and in comparison to that article in NYT on DITA, this one is superb and written by a real pro and contains everything that I would require from an article, so I am fully satisfied.

White pepper and black one were the important ingredients of pastis before 1932 and in Poland very popular is Pieprzowka - pepper vodka, sometimes flavoured also with chilli bottled at 45%.

Thanks, DP. Maybe I will become a pepper snob now. ;)

Waiter, there is too much pepper in my paprikash...

Damn you for posting that!

I already have four shelves (about 14" square each ) full of spices and peppers (other than black). Now I have to start collecting black pepper.

(All my spices are in a set of cabinets across the room opposite the stove to keep them away from the heat.)

That's a pretty good article!

I love pepper. Before about 10 years ago, I shunned the stuff, other than in my cooking for other people in the restaurant. However, my tastebuds matured, and I began to not only love all things spicy, but pepper and peppercorns themselves.

One of my favorite recipes involves Hot Chocolate made up the traditional way, with some rare red pepper blended in, and a small pinch of hawaiian red salt on the rim of the cup. It's fantastic stuff. Don't make it often, but when I do... :wub:

Hiram,

I came across references to long pepper last summer while surfing at work and Ive been intrigued for months. Where do you buy your long pepper?

I found Piper nigrum seeds in OR, still waiting for them to ship.

Here in Seattle you can get Long Pepper at World Spice Merchant's, which is just up the street from the Zig Zag Cafe... and perhaps one of the best spice stores I've been to.

http://worldspice.com/spices/0127longpepper.shtml

I absolutely love their oversized glass jars with the wide mouths on them. I even designed a spice rack for my house specifically to use those jars.

-Robert

I got this brand at The Pasta Co. up on Queen Anne. I haven't compared shipping, but it looks like World Spice might be cheaper in bulk.

MT, it's a lot like black pepper on the palate, but a bit rounder on the sides and pointy on the tip, with a completely different, almost balsamic-honey aroma. Very nice with creamy sauces. A bit more potent than black pepper.

Thanks guys I'll order some tomorrow.

How do you use it, just chuck it in the grinder?

Edit: I was checking shipping prices at the link DrinkBoy provided and I guess I did order? Well I guess that's cool, but I wasn't done shopping yet. Strange way to do business on the web.

Edited by MTgrayling

One of the exotic Asian delicacies that the SO brought back from her trip was a limited edition gourmet box of Kit Kats, called Exotic Tokyo. It took us some internet sleuthing (We can't read Japanese.) to find out that it is made with passionfruit, raspberry, strawberry, cherry, blackcurrant, and pepper.

I've also heard of a dessert recipe that calls for macerating strawberries in balsamic vinegar and black pepper. What a versatile spice! :)