Chris

What am I doing wrong?

So this the is cork from my first bottle of Jade (but the second bottle of Jade that I have opened). Each time they have broken in half, this time in a few pieces; what am I doing wrong? I've opened many bottles of wine and never have had this problem. I am going to be ordering a bottle of the PF 1901 so any suggestions would be welcome so I don't destroy that cork as well.

post-414-1167285351_thumb.jpg

I don't get it, like I said I've opened many wine bottles with that same corkscrew, but tonight was like surgery with that jade cork.

When I received my first bottle of absinthe, Jade Edouard (back in Feb 06) I used the same corkscrew as always and I too had problems with that cork. Like chris523, I've never had problems with it, lateral forces be damned!

I've used only a single cam corkscrew in opening my bottles of Jade. But I knew from the beginning their reputation for being fragile so while I was firm about getting the goods inside I was also gentle and patient and haven't broken a single cork on initial opening. I have broken one subsequently by hand on a bottle that was recorked with the original. I suspect, like the contents of the bottles themselves, Jade corks just aren't meant to last long. ;)

It's a common problem with the Jade corks; there was a lot of discussion about it when they first came out. You have to be very careful. I've broken a couple, with a dual cam corkscrew.

Part of the problem may be that the corks are not moist, since these bottles are not stored on their sides like a wine bottle, so the corks would be dry and thus more brittle and subject to breakage. And, I guess the corks themselves are just fragile. But, I haven't broken any yet, I use the single cam server style corkscrew.

That happened with my first bottle of Jade and I was using a premium corkscrew. Be sure that it is not an auger. One should be able to slide a wooden matchstick down into the center of the corkscrew. If not, throw it out and buy a decent one.

I personally prefer a twin-blade cork puller like Doyle recommended. Gotta be careful which one you get, however, since the cheap ones often will not slide down the cork properly, because of burrs or roughness on the blades. I've had them push corks into the bottle, or just plain fall apart. There's also a bit of a trick to using them. A good one, though, is far superior to any corkscrew.

I've always used Chris's first type corkscrew pictured on my Jade bottles, and have never had a problem extracting the cork in one piece.

whenever such thing happens to me, and it does, the best advice is to replace with the new cork or an old one but dry. That's why I always keep as many corks as possible so as not have such problems. The best corks are from Portugal by the way, most that are used on the market are fragile.

I've always used the simplest imaginable corkscrew for wine and absinthe. It's what my dad taught me to use, and I've never had a problem using this type. I think maybe the simplicity of it forces you to concentrate on perfect placement of the tip of the screw at the start, and a direct vertical pull when removing the cork. Or maybe I've just been lucky all these years?

kling-corkscrew.jpg

"If it was good enough for Dad, it's good enough for me." I actually (no, seriously) like that logic.

However, my Dad doesn't drink much, so I don't take corking advice from him. I stick to a double-cam design. Safest way to do it. Single cams put way too much strain (IMHO) on the sides of a cork, and if it is a longish cork, fagetabouit. Double-cam, and if it breaks then, I assume it is THEIR fault.

We have talked about this before. Those Jade corks are brittle. I am very careful, sober, and using a double cam and I have only ever got one out without breaking. I still pick cork out of my NO(se)

I'm 2 for 2 with this kind of bottle opener.

Edouard_1_1.jpg

Maybe the corks on the 50cl bottles are better? They seem soft, but not brittle to me.