Larspeart

Wine topic... not absinthe. Sorry.

I am working on a sorta last minute project, and I am at a standstill... writer's block. I am supposed to come up with a tagline/slogan for wines of France, and it needs to be 15+ words (frankly, anything over 10-12 isn't a tagline, but I didn't make the project).

How can one instill excitement, interest, romance, intrigue, etc about French wine in those many/few words? Frankly, I had all sorts of ideas for 4-7 word tags, but 15+ (to me anyway) becomes more of a lesson.

So... anyone wanna help a bro out?

Please? :wave2:

"10,000 years of romance, mystery and magic. The history of all that man has loved."

I've been drinking. It wasn't wine. ;)

Edited by T73

"It's not california, but hey second best is still good enough to get drunk on." ;)

"Wine is dandy with some nice cheese and or crackers as a light snack but is also fine with fish or pork or chicken or lamb or steak or duck or snake or shark and can even be drank with a slice of pizza, but not pepperoni pizza which messes with the grape like taste that wine is fermented from."

Yeah under 15 words is probably better.

Sorry, I got nothing.

TM just beat me to it ...

How can one instill excitement, interest, romance, intrigue, etc about French wine in those many/few words?

"Stolen Glories:

We copied Swiss absinthe; then we used American rootstock to re-start our wines."

Excitement: the idea of French wine being stolen from America as part of a cycle of French piracy!

Interest: a story that many Americans probably don't know, with the additional preceding story.

Romance? In 15 words? I need a few more for that.

Intrigue: uses absinthe to grab the reader's attention.

...to be quite honest they didn't really copy Swiss absinthe, since for instance Pernod was Swiss, had his first distillery in Couvet and then started production in Pontarlier... Ehrm.

Tagline for french wine in 15+ words? "Voulez vous couchez avec moi ce soir? Passe-par-tout. Je suis un baguette. It's the wine I tell you!"

Edited by hartsmar

French wine -- sure we export our worst products and keep the good stuff for ourselves, and yes, maybe our Burgundies are overpriced and not as good as the Pinot Noirs of California and Oregon, but we were doing this first, and our wines have exotic French names, so buy them and pay no attention to Spain, Chile, Australia or Argentina...they are flashes in the pan and will soon be gone...but France will remain. Vive le France! Plus, we have REAL Chateaux!

That might be a little too long on second thought...

That said, I do like French wines very much (just not the overpriced Burgundies).

Edited by metodd1

"For centuries, the Earth has yielded grapes to be lovingly coaxed, by nature's alchemy, into the finest wines in the world. The legacy of French wine remains unsurpassed."

That's the best I got...

I like the image of lovingly coaxing the grapes to be the finest wines in the world.

"Come on, sweeties...you can do it. Give me a round, luxurious mouthfeel with tones of cherry and nuances of saffron. That's a good grape...keep it up."

French wines... Only we can ferment grapes to produce the essence of rock in a bottle.

(Alyssa will get this one)

Edited by Doyle

Doyle, I love you. I go to wine tastings at least onece a week right now, and always make that excalamation..."Dahling, it could use a little more ROCK." People think I'm brilliant. They ask to read my notes.

Sorry, but Washington and California wines are better.

The last time I drank domestic wine, I got hives. I stick to French and Italian wines now.

Here we go with the Old World versus New World debate. I say it depends on which you prefer and that neither is objectively better. If you want fruit forward high alcohol wines, then go with the New World. If you like a little more subtlety, and earthiness, minerality to your wines, then stick to the Old World.

Larspeart, I don't have any ideas for a tagline, but I think the notion of terroir might be useful to work in there somewhere. It is what the French would argue differentiates their wine from ours, after all. Might as well use it in their advertising and see where it gets them. ;)

Sorry, but Washington and California wines are better.

For the money, unquestionably!

And sometimes, they're just plain better.

But, then again, so are some Austrailian table wines, though many pooh-pooh them.

Edited by Absomphe

This is turning into a better topic then I had thought it would. Kudos to me.

So, one or two workable tags at this point, some darn funny (and nonworkable) ones, and a lot of very interesting related content. This board rocks.

No, wine with rock, rocks.... :devil:

I really can't say if I like French or Cali wine better - which shocks me. A year ago I would have answered French, but I have been going to weekly wine tastings - now I just don't know. If any in the area want to check out the wine bar schedule: look here.

No, wine with rock, rocks.... :devil:

I really can't say if I like French or Cali wine better - which shocks me. A year ago I would have answered French, but I have been going to weekly wine tastings - now I just don't know. If any in the area want to check out the wine bar schedule: look here.

I think there are good French wines and good California/Oregon wines, just depends on what you're after. Personally, I don't really care much for Bordeaux reds, nor anything from Burgundy, because I think Oregon Pinot Noirs are often much better and cost a lot less, and I'm just kind of bored of Bordeaux. To get a good Burgundy you have to spend about $50, whereas to get a good Pinot from the US, you can spend $15 or $20 most of the time. French Rhone wines like Gigondas and Chateauneuf-du-Papes are some of my faves, but lately I have been really into Spanish wine. They are making some really good stuff there, and it is very inexpensive. I might start working with an importer called "Ole" who are bringing lots of the Spanish wines to the US market. Lots of Grenache/Syrah blends and Malbecs that are excellent. Tempranillos from the Rioja and Ribera del Duero regions are also very good. In the US, you can't beat some of the big California caberents though, they're the best.

Italy.

Sipping a really nice Barolo right now. Christmas present from the place I work. Way better than anything I've got from them the earlier years.

Chilean wines are excellent. Most Italian wines are pretty good. Barolo wines, however, are some of the best that Italy has to offer. Amarone wines from Italy are also very good. See if you can seek out Lachryma Christi wine too. I had some in Italy -- made from grapes grown on Mt. Vesuvius, and quite good.

I make some Nebbiolo wines at the winery where I work.

I love Mastrobernardino Lachryma Christi.

A liquor store in the North End carries a huge Italian wine selection, plus some great grappas, and they always have the red, white and rose versions. They also have about 6 other wines from Mastrobernardino that are also quite tasty.