Lycaon

Chartreuse

While attending a Christmas party last night, I was conversing with a

friend who is looking to purchase a bottle of Chartreuse.

Do you have any recommendations for reliable on-line suppliers?

Edited by Lycaon

Dax, you can get that stuff at pretty much any liquor store. It's common. Since you're in Tucson, just go to any Beverage House location. They all have it. It's good stuff.

I didn't get the Chartreuse at the distillery -- you're thinking of the Jade Nouvelle Orleans Absinthe. I picked some of that up in Saumur, France when I was there, at the Combier distillery. That was back when the NO was the only one Jade was making. Chartreuse can be found at most decent liquor stores here in the US --

It sounds like you might be thinking that Chartreuse is a type of absinthe, which it isn't. It is a distilled herbal French liqueur. There is green Chartreuse and yellow Chartreuse, with the green having a higher alcohol content and yellow having a milder, sweeter flavor. There is also Chartreuse VEP, which is aged in oak casks. Depending on what your friend is after, I'm sure that you/he can find it in or order it from a local liquor store. :cheers:

I wasn't sure because I've heard that the chartreuse recipe is only known

by a handful of monks who only bottle it at their distillery I thought it might be

exceptionally hard to get a hold of, even though it's legal. I was misinformed...

Many Thanks. I'll forward this information on to Mr. P.

Chartreuse is a liqueur that is made in a fashion very close to traditional absinthe. There probably is even some wormwood, pontica, and genepi in its manufacture. I would hazard a guess that every herb/spice found in traditional absinthe is in Chartreuse also. Those crafty distillers also make a tastey Genepi des Peres Chartreuse.

http://www.chartreuse.fr/

http://www.chartreuse.fr/pa_genepi_uk.htm

We had a bottle of green that night --

Those pics are great! Be nice to go and visit in person, if they let people in there at all.

I suddenly have an urge to become very religous...maybe join a monastery? ;)

Edited by metodd1

Carthusian monks.

"Carthusians are sometimes considered the highest order of the Catholic Church, in terms of strictness (this refers to the practice whereby one can only switch one's religious order if going to one that is stricter, the strictest being the Carthusians). Carthusians have no active ministry because they are strictly cloistered. Monks or nuns spend most of their time alone in their cells, although they do come together three times a day for certain prayers and for Sunday dinner."

"The monastery of the Grande Chartreuse is still the mother abbey of the order. There is a museum on the Carthusian order next to the monastery of the Grande Chartreuse; the monks of that monastery are also involved in the production of the Chartreuse liquor. Although visits are not possible within the Grande Chartreuse, the recent documentary Into Great Silence gave unprecedented views of life within the hermitage."

Apparently, being strictly cloistered doesn't exclude them from being allowed to produce some fine alcohol, thank god. Praise the Lord!

http://www.chartreux.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carthusian_Order

Edited by metodd1

If you're going to go the Chartreuse route, you should spend some extra long green on the V.E. P., which is considerably softer, and smoother, with a vanilla-like underpinning from 12 years aging in oak...it's at least three times the price of the regular, but it's worth trying at least once.

That V.E.P. must be more difficult to come by. I don't recall ever seeing it in the stores. But, then again I usually don't pay much attention to Chartreuse. Just see it in passing from time to time and have bought a couple of bottles over the years. I might have to try that, it sounds good.

Not all that rare. In this part of Montana, we can get Chartreuse ($48) in every liquor store and the V.E.P. ($112) in at least one local store. Both yellow and green. On the other hand, finding a good bottle of arak requires an online order. I like Chartreuse from time-to-time but I'd much rather have the arak. Cheaper and better in my opinion. :cheers:

Now, Arak is something I have been meaning to try. I'll just have to go get some this week. And why don't I get some VEP too. What the heck. I'm crazy like that. ;)

I also want to order a sample of that 1914 Pernod from oxygenee too (they're available now). And I have a list of absinthes that I need to get. Not to mention a new fountain. Man, this stuff has a way of adding up way too fast. :shock: :wacko:

Dear God. Chartreuse is absolutely vile. In fact, I had about 3/4 of a bottle that I shipped to Hiram a while ago. Too much Angelica...MUCH too much. It tasted like a bottle of black pepper and that taste together with sugar, in a liqueur is absolutely NO good.

On that note, however, it is not at all hard to find. Almost all decent sized liquor stores will/should have it. I've also seen the VEP as well. Maybe that is better, but for the money I'll buy absinthe.

Try www.bevmo.com -- they've got a big selection and good shipping prices. I bought a bottle of Herbsaint from them and it got there quickly and shipping was cheap.

Oh, on that note, anyone want a bottle of Herbsaint? I've been trying to offload it for like 8 months. Trade?

Aaron