shinsain

Question about Montmartre...

Wow, this thread turned pretty damned interesting.

There was a lot of good stuff in here, thanks folks.

I'm fairly skeptical about wormwood, or other non-anethol oils contributing to the louche. I know they can be brought out of solution under certain conditions, but I doubt in the amounts found in absinthe. If a distiller were to cook up a batch with no anise or fennel (or star anise), I doubt you'd get any louche at all.

This goes right along with your review of the Wormwood Blanche over at FV. With such a wormwood-dominated absinthe and the presence of very little anise, it sounds like you got only the thinnest of louches.

I thought the Wormwood Blanche had a fine louche. Not as thick as the the L'Artisanale but thicker than the 1797. But I've only had one glass each so maybe it's time to taste them, again.

Yeah, the Wormwood blance was a bit thicker than the 1797, but neither of them were as thin as the standard Un Emile lineup. I really wish they'd improve those, since I really want to like them.

However, I have found out that recipe of major Dubied calls for 10g of star anise to 50g of aniseed per litre, yet it was abandoned.
Source please?

this is a French speaking site devoted mainly to Vals de Travers, very informative one, I have found it this summer but do not remember the exact address but is easily found if it still exists. It contains history, tradition, past and present and the famous Green Fairy mascot, here is the quotation (10g of star anise is of course estimation as I have not found the full recipe)

Mes plantes

Contrairement à ce que son nom laisse supposer, la ´liqueur dite absinthe´ (ou extrait d'absinthe, fée verte, lait du Jura, lait de chèvre, bleue, couèchte, tiaffe, etc.) ne s'obtient pas par la distillation de la seule plante d'absinthe prélablement macérée dans de l'alcool à 85 degrés additionné d'eau.

En plus de la grande absinthe ou absinthe officinale (Artemisia absinthium) et de la petite absinthe ou absinthe pontique (Artemisia pontica), divers autres simples entrent en quantités variables dans les recettes traditionnelles de cette eau-de-vie d'origine suisse (sa première distillerie industrielle a été fondée en 1797-1798 à Couvet [Val-de-Travers, canton de Neuchâtel] par Daniel-Henri Dubied-Duval [1758-1841] et son gendre Henri-Louis Pernod-Dubied [1776-1851] ): l'hysope (Hyssopus officinalis), la mélisse ou céline ou citronelle (Melissa officinalis), l'anis vert (Pimpinella anisum), la badiane ou anis étoilé ou anis de la Chine (Illicium verum), la menthe poivrée ou anglaise (Mentha piperita), la coriandre (Coriandrum sativum), la tanaisie commune (Chrysanthemum vulgare), le fenouil commun (Foeniculum vulgare) et l'angélique officinale (Angelica archangelica). Trois de ces plantes étaient plus particulièrement utilisées pour la coloration de l'extrait: la petite absinthe, l'hysope et la mélisse, ainsi que la véronique officinale (Veronica officinalis).

This seems to be the Homepage ;)

And here are about a quarter of available Brands from the Val de Travers.

Edited by slp

thanks for finding it, they may have undergone some changes so it was not available for a while