Gwydion Stone

WS Membership

Was there a large scale membership purge that just happened? We are back down to 600 from the over 675. Just curious (and wanting to be sure that I wasn't hallucinating...again). :shock:

Yup. I cut a lot of dead weight.

Keep in mind, I never purge anyone who has posted at least once and/or has been active in the last 6 months; i.e. the only users that get purged are those who joined and never post and never came back or haven't been back in over 6 months: dead weight. There were over 30 in this last batch that hadn't even been back since the day they registered.

This helps keep the DB tables smaller and faster, not to mention that the member-to-post ratio is more meaningful. Who gives a crap if you have 10,000 members if only a dozen post once or twice a day?

So if any of 'em come back on a whim, they have to sign up as a new member again, yes? Makes sense.

You a sociable devil!

Totally! I would have made her change it to $6.65.

$6.69 :devil:

I was going to ask you about how many people come to this forum, sign up, make a post, and then are never heard from again...

I think that defeats the whole purpose of joining a forum like this. If you are interested in a certain subject, then it seems to me that you'd want to participate in discussions of that topic, whatever it is.

On the other hand, I think that if you're only looking for information, then a good look around without actually joining may just suffice.

Hiram, the DB for a site like this using IPB shouldn't be more than 500mb at most, considering the size. If it's bigger than that, total, you might want to check into it.

On that note, with IBP it's always best to keep the DB size low as IPB has horrible access times as it is and the smaller the DB, the better.

Yup. I cut a lot of dead weight.

Keep in mind, I never purge anyone who has posted at least once and/or has been active in the last 6 months.....

WOW, see what happens when the real world kicks in and I had to curtail my internet activities for a while? I decide to pop back in for a minute and I find out I'm in danger of facing a purge. I guess I should try and show up a litttle more often around here.

Anyway, hiya fellas! :wave2:

Yup. Gotta "pay to play".

Keep in mind, I never purge anyone who has posted at least once and/or has been active in the last 6 months.....
I decide to pop back in for a minute and I find out I'm in danger of facing a purge.

me too!!!

I only get to have "me time" once in a while! I always worry that you guys will forget about me!!!

I'M STILL HERE!!!!

Having kids hasn't completely ruined my life haha

How could we forget you? How's the young'un?

It's always the and/or thing that throws me...

I never purge anyone who has posted at least once.

I never purge anyone who has been active (i.e. logged in) in the last six months.

I never purge anyone who has posted at least once.

I never purge anyone who has been active (i.e. logged in) in the last six months.

So "purge" and "flush" are categorically different functions.

Yes.

Purging comes first, followed by flushing.

Assuming that one makes it to the porcelain god in time, of course.

Purge = get rid of due to inactive

Flush = get rid of the active shit

Pretty much. I prune as I go to keep the database tables smaller and faster. No sense in cluttering them with useless data.

Flushing only applies to turds.

I use prunes as I go.

Now I am confused.

Apparently, they work much faster for some than for others.