Brian Robinson

Pernod 1914 cache

Thanks for the offer, GB. I may take you up on that.

I'm there on business but the evenings should be free. I'll let you know when I get some exact dates. I'm anticipating 4-5 days some time in March but that can change.

Fantastics pics, Lister! Two glasses, and you can't wait to share it? You're a far more generous man than I sir! :cheers:

I found it interesting to note the while the absinthe from our two bottles is almost the exact shade neat, mine never broke out into such a whiteness in mid-louche, and ended up being more green.

The differences in such an aged absinthe from a single cache (bottled at the same time) are fascinating, indeed!

I can't wait to share, tis true, although now that the euphoric effects have worn off I think I might rephrase that to "I would be willing to share" but I wouldn't share with just anyone. A friend asked if he could try some, I told him as soon as he spends a couple hundred dollars or more on absinthe of his own I might let him have a taste or two.

How many more did you drink last night, huh? Nice chunk of history there.
Only the two. I won't be having any more for some time.... if I can hold myself back. :twitch:

Just a curious side note... anybody notice and take a close look at the really cute picture of my daughter?

Edited by Lister

I apologize for coming in late on this thread. Most of you are probably tired of looking at dusty old bottles by now… However, for those of you who may still not have had enough of it, here's my small contribution to this topic.

The bottles landed here during my internetless intermission (in early Dec). Here's my lady examining them shortly after their arrival.

1PF1914.jpg

Three bottles with a swollen neck and one Bordeaux-type bottle.

Two absinthes are a light amber, one is a darker amber, and the fourth one is green (these colour differences are obviously not clear from the photos).

2PF1914.jpg

We choose to break open the bottle with the least content. Here it is after a gentle, careful cleaning.

3PF1914.jpg

Scraping off just enough wax to uncover the cork, brushing away dust from the wax, and then finally the holy moment of opening it… Need I say this was a most nervous moment? :)

The cork was very soft and almost spongy, but slid up from the bottle without much resistance, and in one whole piece. Ah, just the smell of the cork! It revealed how very well preserved this absinthe really was. Anticipation started to build up…

4PF1914.jpg

We decided to empty the bottle to measure the volume and the alcohol concentration. It turned out to be 880 ml (29.76 US fluid ounces), and just below 64 %. Pretty good; not much loss over a century (almost).

5PF1914.jpg

Resealing the bottle, then it was time to enjoy the precious content…

A few pics of the louche action, which was surprisingly powerful.

6PF1914.jpg

7PF1914.jpg

The distinct layering of louched absinthe, and ice cold water (and undissolved sugar) at the bottom.

8PF1914.jpg

Well, there it is. One glass for Mia and one for me; avec et sans sucre.

9PF1914.jpg

There are no more pictures after this; what happened next, I'll leave to your imagination. ;)

I will not even try to make a review of this magnificent absinthe; my English limits me here. But if I were more fluent in your language I would have written a poem, an ode to Pernod Fils. To put it simply: this is the best absinthe I have ever had. Period. I honestly did not expect it to be this good. Everything is just perfect – from the room-filling, drool-generating scent, through the emanation of the seductive swirls of the louche, to the untouchable, eldritch experience of letting this milky green nectar smoothly flow across the palate, seamless and creamy in texture – it's all there with power, balance, and an incredibly refreshing taste. The herbal balance, the mellow richness that draws out the lingering persistence of the heavenly flavours… I search for the words, but I just cannot describe what I have tasted here. So I will not even try.

Concerning sugar: I usually sugar my absinthe, since I find that it enhances the flavours, but this is the first absinthe I've ever had that I actually can drink without it and really enjoy it that way. We both thought that one sugar cube was too much – but with half a cube (added to the glass that was prepared without sugar at first) it was just perfect. (Yes, IMHO better than without.)

What more can I say...

Life is good.

Wow, that would have been a mind shifting experience for me, Sir! How wonderful is that?

Review was great to me and your English? Please! You chat like you live next door (well, not next door but you get my point).

Thanks for sharing and here's hoping that you'll have many more memories with these wonderful gems! :cheers:

I gaze at your photos in a blissful fugue, and wonder...between your lady, and your absinthe, is any mortal entitled to be blessed with such ethereal beauty?

My only conclusion is a resounding aye, for a gentleman with such a refined aesthetic as yours deserves everything he gets.

Thanks so much for sharing...I think I'll toast you two with a glass from single, somewhat lonely bottle now. :cheers:

The pictures are so "wonderfuk" :cheers:

I'm guess that was a typo, but I'm kinda diggin the word. Now I need to figure out ways to introduce it into a common conversation... :cheers:

I'm thinking "fucking wonderful"?

Mindshifter has it going on, doesn't he?

No envy here but certainly appreciation for your post, Mindshifter. The words and pictures are all very beautiful. :cheers:

I agree. But I'd be telling a lie of epic proportions if I said I weren't envious.

What really puts a smile on my face is the fact that we have so many avid fans of the stuff. So much so that some of us will go leaps and bounds to acquire some of the best out there.