MTgrayling

Help pick my next verte

This is probably one of those dumb newbie questions everyone rolls their eyes at, if it is I appologize. Its just that I trust you all here to help guide my evolution in the world of absinthe.

Help me narrow down my list. So far I've tried and really liked the Duplais and want to broaden my horizons. I'm open to any other suggestions, although I prefer to get them from Markus since I'm also getting a litre of the Duplais.

My current list includes:

Eichelberger

Duplais Balance

Jade Verte Suisse

Jade PF 1901

Montmartre

I sure wish we could get more brands in larger bottles.

Edited by MTgrayling

Thanks for all the input! That poll is interesting and confirms most of what I've been reading.

I left the Edouard off the list because it wasn't available through Markus a few days ago and now I see it is so it is certainly an option as well as the PF1901, although I was waiting for more reviews on the latter. I already have a bottle of the Nouvelle-Orléans I'm holding onto.

Why does it seem as if all the classic Absinthe was verte and most of the modern stuff is blanche?

Keep the suggestions coming.

The Balance is the best bang for the buck, but it's obviously a close cousin to the Duplais. For something different, try the PF1901 or the NO.

The Jade VS is hard to comment on - I had a bottle from two batches, and they're very different though both quality products. The first was a manly anise and wormwood bomb; the second one had a truckload of fragrant hyssop in its colouration (which is really intrusive, and really out of balance if you don't like it) and less good anise than the first. I'm sure even more recent batches have even better wormwood.

Edited by sixela

Why does it seem as if all the classic Absinthe was verte and most of the modern stuff is blanche?

They made blanches as well back then in the olden days.

Today, a lot of the quality brands are from the Val-de-Travers, where the local distillers almost exclusively have been making uncoloured absinthe and continue in that tradition.

The funny thing is that they still refer to their clear absinthe as The Green Fairy. A little fairy in a green dress and pointed hat is the mascot of Val-de-Travers, seen everywhere and used extensively in tourist brochures, souvenirs etc.

The Disturbingly Transparent Fairy.

Nah. Stick with green.

Edited by peridot

I thought I read Oxy saying that the Swiss only began making la blues during the 1920s.

It was the French (like Duplais, for example) who produced blanches prior to the ban.

Edited by Absomphe

I'm looking forward to trying the Balance and the PF1901. Elf and Sixer know of what they speak.

Why not the White Fairy? Kind of like Glinda the Good Witch of the North only better.

Well Oxy is vastly most knowledgeable than I, so I am probably wrong.

Though the Duplais distiller's "manual" circa 1899 (perhaps the earlier editions as well?) contains a reference to a recipe of a "Swiss Absinthe Blanche". I presumed this was a reference to the country rather than something else? Of course, I'm also using a reference to which I cannot vouch for the accuracy of any of the information contained therein.

Well my next order shall contain:

Duplais Verte 100cl

Jade Edouard 50cl

Eichelberger 50cl

Duplais Balance 50cl

Montmarte sample

Thanks for all the advice and keep the verte vs. blanche information coming.

Looks like an excellent order. :cheers:

Note to self: the green pasteurs and white peaks of Montana seem to be ever more fertile ground for an itinerant absinthe beggar with an empty cup. If you all just weren't so damn far away.

Though the Duplais distiller's "manual" circa 1899 (perhaps the earlier editions as well?) contains a reference to a recipe of a "Swiss Absinthe Blanche". I presumed this was a reference to the country rather than something else? Of course, I'm also using a reference to which I cannot vouch for the accuracy of any of the information contained therein.

"Swiss Absinthe" means superior absinthe in Duplais' treatise.

I thoughgt I read Oxy saying that the Swiss only began making la blues during the 1920s.

It was the French (like Duplais, for example) who produced blanches prior to the ban.

The Swiss also produced pre-ban absinthes (probably in both colours), but they weren't called "La Bleue".

Well Oxy is vastly most knowledgeable than I, so I am probably wrong.

"Swiss Absinthe" means superior absinthe in Duplais' treatise.

In Duplais, as among other distilling treatises, "Swiss" describes a specific process in the making of absinthe. This process did (and still does) produce superior absinthe. Swiss also has come to denote that an absinthe has quality. "Swiss absinthe blanche" describes a specific recipe for a clear absinthe containing many more herbs than standard absinthe, and made according to the Swiss method protocol.

So ol' Louis drank enough absinthe to turn himself green, did he?

Well, that would have done a fine job Pasteurizing his arse, that's for sure.

Or am I confusing Pasteurizing with pickling?

Does anyone want to go in on a order?

Im in the chicago/milwaukee area.

Wouldnt it save $ to go co-op on a order?

Or is it best to go solo & not deal with a large order.

I only evered ordered 4 bottles of Un Emile 68 at once.

Thanks

Note to self: the green pasteurs...

Pastures or Pasteurs?

post-1-1166022333.jpg

It was supposed to be a joke. Haven't you ever heard that his real name was Montana Ordinaire?

Edit: Maybe that's just a myth.

Edited by Pan Buh