I made a casual search for this info, but didn't see what I was looking for. If this is too redundant, just scold me and I'll slink away.

Since I live in Atlanta, my tap water comes from the Chattahoochee river (treated, of course). As such, it is often heavily chlorinated. Not too good for making tea, coffee, etc. It is relatively soft, though. I run mine through a filter in the refrigerator and it pretty much removes the chlorine taste. Seemed fine with my first few absinthe trials (I'm still new at this). It did get me thinking:

Are there favorite bottled waters for use in the absinthe ritual? Any recommendations?

Well, I live in the willamette valley of oregon, and according to consumer reports, we have the best water of the united states, aside from the fact that I have bathed in it several times (N. Santiam River). But If you happen to be in minnesota, where the water tastes and smells like fish during the summer, then yes, distilled water is your best bet.

I used to live in Tucson where the tap water comes from a deep aquifer and is hard as hell. If you froze it to make ice cubes, the minerals would precipitate and drop out as yucky white flakes as the ice melted in your beverage. I was forced to buy purified water or use the "Aqua Vend" machines to make the water palatable. The water in Atlanta is better, but still benefits from carbon/charcoal filteration.

While I'm at it, how about sugar cubes? The ones I tried first were hard as cement cinder blocks and took forever to dissolve. Are there particular brands that work best in the ritual?

I find bottled spring water to be best. Distilled water lacks any mineral content, which makes it softer and "drinking water" is often taken from the tap. Don't go buying trendy big name waters because it's not worth it. Just a gallon of whatever is cheapest should do. Keep it in the fridge and you're always ready to go.

I use my Brita filter at home with a couple of friends. If I'm having a large group over, I usually get a large jug of store brand spring water.

I never drink water from the tap, no matter how "clean" it "may" be.

On sugar.

I don't use it.

I find it hides the flavor of the absinthe.

While I'm at it, how about sugar cubes?  The ones I tried first were hard as cement cinder blocks and took forever to dissolve.  Are there particular brands that work best in the ritual?

Saint Louis Sucre sugar tablets work the best, and are like the ones from the old days.

Call this number if you don't see them locally:

Foodmatch

180 Duane Street

NEW YORK NY 10013

Phone : 212 334 50 44

Fax : 212 334 50 42

USA

Domino also makes the rectangular tablets, as were used in the old days.

http://www.dominosugar.com/store/product.asp?p=1

post-35-1107095275.jpg

While I'm at it, how about sugar cubes? The ones I tried first were hard as cement cinder blocks and took forever to dissolve. Are there particular brands that work best in the ritual?

Call this number if you don't see them locally:

Foodmatch

180 Duane Street

NEW YORK NY 10013

Phone : 212 334 50 44

Fax : 212 334 50 42

http://www.dominosugar.com/store/product.asp?p=1

Holy crap, i didn't know they had St. Louis. Thanks for the tip, Greenimp!

Of course water makes a difference. If a water tastes unpleasent to you, it's not going to improve your absinthe. The drink in my avatar is Jade NO prepared with Pure Yosemite Valley water. OK, so its the chorline-treated water from a Yosemite campground tap, but it still flowed through pristine forests and over majestic waterfalls before dripping into the Jade.

I don't know whether High Sierra water has the magical properties I like to pretend it has, or if it is just a placebo effect, but I found that absinthe serving extremely enjoyable.

For a while there I was drinking Gerolsteiner with my absinthe, but I stopped. Don't recommend it 'cause being a mineralwasser, it makes you fart. I've had other "sparkling" waters that don't do that as much and the extra fizz adds a little something...perhaps some bicarbonate of soda...but I digress. Now I use tap water put through a Brita filter and it works just fine, just no "sparkle".

but it still flowed through pristine forests and over majestic waterfalls before dripping into the Jade.

Next time I go up on Rainier, Ima get me some glacier water. The stuff in bottles ain't the same.

I store all of mine in my belly.

I think Brita water is fine, although it's important to make sure your Brita filter is full with water. If it sits with too little water in it, it will start to taste metallic and the filter will be permanently ruined (they don't tell you that because they want you to buy more filters.)

I also never let my Brita get less than about half empty.

&

Change the filter every 60 days.

I do notice a difference in the water from the old and new filters.

I have friends who climb Rainier and they use water purifying filters even up there. Seems no matter where you go, it may not be as pure as one would think.