Sachelle

New La Fée X•S Suisse

I thought this picture says all that anyone needs to know about La Feh.

Why is that person holding a spoonful of flaming brains over his drink?

If you look very close, it looks like an upside down dead rat in the spoon. I hear you can still find the rats that died in the early thujone tests. They're vintage. Burn those over your La Feh and you'll really trip your balz off. :twitch:

Do you think this this is the same thing as the X.S. Suisse? If so now we know where to get it for cheaper. ;)

No, everyone who's had it says it's not a repackaging of a current Bugnon product. Just that it's of similar quality and not worth more.

Hiram seems to be the most supportive person here...
I'd like to interject that my "support" is nothing more than courtesy. In those other places, anyone who doesn't jump right into the torch and pitchfork gang is deemed "supportive" of the Monster.

I only want to keep perspective and keep to the facts. I saw a lot of criticism of the product itself from people who have not tasted it, based soley on one other person's assertions—who presumably hasn't tasted it either. There's nothing wrong with the product, but I support neither the pricing or marketing language of these products. I feel like La Fée had an excellent opportunity to redeem itself in the eyes of the absinthe world insiders, and they blew it. Priced and marketed according to the standards in the rest of the authentic absinthe market, people would have welcomed these as a huge step forward for them.

And as for the upcoming one, made by FG, a lot of people don't have a lot of faith in him or his abilities.
I don't think it's been established that it's definitely FG making it. Oxy made that declaration, but I don't think it's been confirmed. Technically, it hasn't been confirmed that the blanche is made by Bugnon, either; unless I missed something somewhere. The reason people dis FG is because he has peculiar ideas about absinthe, not because of his skills. For some reason he insists that fennel is bad.

Also, let's keep in mind that Sachelle is just a lady who is at work, doing her job, just like Alan was (except the lady part—oh wait, there was that photo...). And just like Alan, she was entirely new to absinthe when she came on board. How easy do you think it would be for them to prevail against the legacy their bosses have worked so hard to forge these last eight years?

Do let's be realistic; we're asking a large and successful company to completely change its business model. It's not going to happen overnight.

It would be nice, however, to see some progress.

About why I haven't posted some long paragraph about this. Especially since I haven't tasted either.

While eAbsinthe has been making some slow corrections to the site, I really didn't expect LaFee to change their ways. After all they are still hocking the false "Bohemian" product as traditional czech absinth. Their new products fit right along the lines of super premium vodka or other products where name and price equal quality and sales.

I'd like to interject that my "support" is nothing more than professional courtesy. In those other places, anyone who doesn't jump right into the torch and pitchfork gang is deemed "supportive" of the Monster.
I never suggested otherwise, nor did I mean what I said in a negative or accusing way. I was using what you said about its quality because you 1) have tried it and 2) don't just throw shit at them for being La Fee. I felt that your opinion of it gave me an approximate idea of what absinthe to choose to do price comparisons including shipping, as Sachelle suggested.

The reason people dis FG is because he has peculiar ideas about absinthe, not because of his skills.

I like his absinthe. It's appropriately priced. But he appears incapable of colouring a verte properly. I'll stand corrected when I see him do it. And a lot of people do dis him otherwise because they think his absinthe is pure shit. I seem to see more "FG tastes like ass" opinions on the whole than "FG is tasty." Maybe I'm inflating that in my mind because those comments stand out to me because I don't understand them. But I personally think that his peculiar ideas about absinthe do affect his product. The product he makes can fit into his weird ideas but a premium verte can't.

However, if it's not official that he's involved I'll leave that alone until it is confirmed.

Also, let's keep in mind that Sachelle is just a lady who is at work, doing her job, just like Alan was (except the lady part—oh wait, there was that photo...). And just like Alan, she was entirely new to absinthe when she came on board. How easy do you think it would be for them to prevail against the legacy their bosses have worked so hard to forge these last eight years?

I don't expect anything to change with an outcry here and at FV. But I'm going to state my opinion. And I referred to the company as "you" when talking to her because she refers to it as "we." I hold nothing against her. But the opinions expressed here should be at least a small indication of the reaction that experienced absintheurs (apparently who they're targeting) are likely to have to the XS producs. I don't think it's unrealistic to think that many of the other absinthe drinkers out there (not WS and FV members) who order quality products will call "bullshit" on the pricetag. Understanding price comparison isn't limited to people in online absinthe communities. And maybe they'll sneer at the thujone hyping, too. It would be foolish for her bosses not to at least take such feedback into consideration. They've stepped up now. They seem to be trying to selling to people who know their asses from their elbows. But we'll see how well a sentiment of "those idiots won't know the difference" will work for them. And yes, that's honestly how I think they regard their consumers, based on everything else they do.

Edit: I did have issues with a one or two things Sachelle said personally and directed responses to those things toward her, but on the whole I've aimed at La Fee instead.

Edited by peridot

I never suggested otherwise, nor did I mean what I said in a negative or accusing way.
I didn't take it that way, I just wanted to take the opportunity to put that out there.
... [FG] appears incapable of colouring a verte properly. I'll stand corrected when I see him do it. And a lot of people do dis him otherwise because they think his absinthe is pure shit. I seem to see more "FG tastes like ass" opinions on the whole than "FG is tasty."
Point taken. I think he is capable, he just won't do it. I'm not sure if he filters his stuff the way Pernot does, but it sure looks like it, or he's being skimpy on his coloration.

My remarks above were in a general nature, not directed at you in particular. I just want to prevent a tar-n-featherin' and keep it productive, that's all.

FG is tasty.

I've said it all along. I don't like what I've read about his ideas, his politics, or his bullying, swaggering ways. And I'm glad that there a lot of other, more complex and, frankly, much better absinthes on the market. But I like the FG, and gave it a good review over at FV, even if I also gave it a low score.

What WBT said.

I like FG too as a 'rincette', something very basic and simple you can drink as a 'starting', just before serious things.

Edited by mthuilli

I don't think it's been established that it's definitely FG making it. Oxy made that declaration, but I don't think it's been confirmed. Technically, it hasn't been confirmed that the blanche is made by Bugnon, either; unless I missed something somewhere.

I am stating as a categorical fact that the French XS is made by Guy, in Guy's distillery.

I am stating as a categorical fact that the Swiss XS is made by Bugnon, in Bugnon's distillery.

Edited by Oxygenee

I don't think it's been established that it's definitely FG making it. Oxy made that declaration, but I don't think it's been confirmed.

Meanwhile, in other news, Oxy has claimed the earth orbits the sun. We here at the Wormwood Society are however waiting for independent confirmation from Mr Rowley's PR lady.

Also, let's keep in mind that Sachelle is just a lady who is at work, doing her job, just like Alan was...just like Alan, she was entirely new...when she came on board.

It may take some time, because she's only had 6 months to swat up on astrophysics.

Edited by Oxygenee

How easy do you think it would be for them to prevail against the legacy their bosses have worked so hard to forge these last eight years?

What gives you the slightest indication that Sachelle is trying to "prevail against the legacy (her) bosses have worked so hard to forge these last eight years"?

Do let's be realistic; we're asking a large and successful company to completely change its business model. It's not going to happen overnight.

No we're not. We're asking an 8 person company that operates from Mr Rowley's home to market two new products with a reasonable degree of integrity.

Edited by Oxygenee

Meanwhile, in other news, Oxy has claimed the earth orbits the sun. We here at the Wormwood Society are however waiting for independent confirmation from Mr Rowley's PR lady.

Anything else you want to talk about?

post-241-1165757263.jpg

Also, let's keep in mind that Sachelle is just a lady who is at work, doing her job, just like Alan was (except the lady part—oh wait, there was that photo...). And just like Alan, she was entirely new to absinthe when she came on board.

I think that is the very reason that people are annoyed.

The folks at Lafee are hiring marketing people that know absolutely nothing about Absinthe... and it really shows.

Of course there is nothing wrong with being a newbie, but to put one in charge of a high profile line of products is a bit of a condescending insult to the more long term and passionate members of these boards.

What gives you the slightest indication that Sachelle is trying to "prevail against the legacy (her) bosses have worked so hard to forge these last eight years"?

While I don't know exactly who is making the changes, eAbsinthe has been slowly pulling away from the standard LaFee line. Although it still has a ways to go.

I would agreee with just about everyone that the price for this absinthe and the marketing hype on it's page is a bit, well... shamefull. But, I do still want to try the new product - because, well, it's absinthe and i still want to taste it. A sample has been sent to me, and I will drink it and try to make my decisions based upon that. But, with that kind of price per bottle, I would have to like that better than the nectar of the gods to really order it. I am looking forward to the sample. I hear it's tasty.

I don't think it's been established that it's definitely FG making it. Oxy made that declaration, but I don't think it's been confirmed.
No, we here at the Wormwood Society are honoring confidences. I was merely pointing out that your remark was so far the only source for that information. Period. Whether it's true is irrelevant and not part of my point. I'm not impugning your integrity, I just found it disturbing that after you said that these were "obviously made by Bugnon, and to come, another, presumably similarly priced verte to be made by that prince of authenticity, François Guy", nearly everyone in the community was quoting it as established fact.
Also, let's keep in mind that Sachelle is just a lady who is at work, doing her job, just like Alan was...just like Alan, she was entirely new...when she came on board.
It may take some time, because she's only had 6 months to swat up on astrophysics.

Yeah, and I'm sure she's really been encouraged to research and use the facts in that time. Again you pretend to miss my point: she has to say what George will let her say.

How easy do you think it would be for them to prevail against the legacy their bosses have worked so hard to forge these last eight years?

I didn't say she was; I was suggesting it was unlikely that the attempt would be successful.

No we're not. We're asking an 8 person company that operates from Mr Rowley's home to market two new products with a reasonable degree of integrity.

Give me a break. The emphasis was on successful. Are we going to play a numbers game here? Is employee base what make a company big, or is it sales? La Fée has perhaps the largest distribution of anything that remotely resembles absinthe.

I don't think we're in disagreement here, and I'm not sure I understand your rancor toward me.

I don't think we're in disagreement here, and I'm not sure I understand your rancor toward me.

Hiram, I'm with you on this: I really am not sure what is going on with Oxy on this. Maybe he's been drinking too much KOSG recently. At any rate, he really seems to have it in for La Fée X.S and for anyone who is even remotely defending it.

I think that there is a much bigger issue here that is being overlooked. It goes beyond what La Fée is doing and looks at why all the other absinthes loved here are simply not happening in the real world. To me, that is the big scandal.

For obvious reasons, I am not going to get involved in the discussion on La Fée X.S and the specific rights and wrongs. I have, however, always advocated that markets and brands can evolve, and that the market will decide. So I'd like to try to look at this from the perspective of the real market which for most drinks brands has got nothing to do with the internet.

There are many absinthe brands that do most of their business on the internet. There are others like La Fée, like Doubs, and, unfortunately, a few Czech brands that are going out into the real world outside the internet. To date, I see no brand that is both loved by the internet community and a success in the real world. What is a "success?" I'd use a fairly arbitrary definition of having sold a few hundred bottles at least twice to importers in at least ten different countries. On this basis only La Fée, Doubs, Hill's, Versinthe and maybe Fruko qualify as commercial successes. What I find strange is that all the brands loved by the internet community seem to neglect this real world. Strange and sad, because in so doing they are allowing the world outside the small community who meet on the forums to think that absinthe = Hill's, Fruko, etc. As an example, I was in Taiwan last week: it's probably the world's biggest export market for absinth(e), and it's full of Fruko. Really smart bars have upgraded to Reality.

Why is there no real absinthe in Taiwan? And why is it more difficult to find real absinthe than absinth in countries like Canada, Australia, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, etc etc? Why next year will it be easier to find La Fée X.S in countries like these than to find all the other absinthes loved by the internet community?

A few possible reasons:-

1. It is more profitable to sell absinthe on the internet than to sell it in the real world.

2. Some absinthe suppliers do not have the capacity to sell more than they currently do: hence they focus on the more profitable sector.

3. Some absinthe brand owners do not have the ability or the will power to go after the much larger real world.

To me, the real scandal in this is not that La Fée X.S exists. The scandal is that, for the most part, the absinthes loved by the community on the absinthe forums are not available in the real world and that the brand owners of these absinthes are not educating the bar trade, consumers and the press about real absinthe. Ironically Ted is the main exception to this with all his press coverage ... mainly in a country where absinthe cannot be bought!

If the absinthes loved here continue to allow most of the world to think that real absinthe = Hill's, Fruko, etc. and that La Fée X.S is the only high quality absinthe, then it will be the fault of those real absinthes if the world becomes a market dominated by Czechsinth on the one hand and by La Fée on the other.

Oxy and the other Power people in the absinthe community should therefore get off their high horses and soap boxes. By all means listen to and talk to the few thousand people on the various forums. But more importantly they should be out selling to the billions of potential consumers in the real world.

Absinthe of the 21st century may be similar to absinthe of the 19th century. But to most consumers outside the forums, real absinthe is nothing like Jade ... or La Clandestine. If today's real absinthe distillers and brand owners leave the world to be dominated by others, real absinthe will at best remain an incredibly small niche or at worst disappear again. That tragedy would be the fault of the real absinthe distillers and brand owners loved here, and not the fault of La Fée.

Well put. Let me digest all that and get back to you. In the meantime, you left out

4. Average people in the real world will seldom choose to spend > $100 on a bottle of licorice tasting booze, while us internet morons will gleefully spend > $1500 for a bottle. Who would you market to?

Look who I'm asking! Doh!

I think we are in disagreement here, but what rancour? There's certainly none on my side. I was emplying a rhetorical device known as "humour" to have a...now what's the word?...ah yes, I remember it now from Fee Verte...a "poke" at what seemed a rather self-satisfied post of yours.

I certainly wasn't betraying any confidences - I've known for some time about both absinthes, from multiple sources. But no advance knowledge was necessary at all, the names of the distilleries are obvious from La Fee's own press releases.

Draw your chair up closer next to mine by the fire, settle yourself comfortably, and let's look at XS Francaise:

As per La Fee's PR, this absinthe is distilled, and it's from Pontarlier.

Number of currently functioning absinthe distilleries in Pontarlier: 2

Since it self evidently wouldn't have been made at the Pernot distillery on account of their ties with LDF, number of distilleries it theoretically could have been made at: 1

Name of this distillery: François Guy.

or, to approach this fiendish conundrum from a different angle:

As per La Fee's PR, this absinthe is made by a fourth generation distiller, using his great grandfather's second hand stills.

Number of fourth generation distillers operating in Pontarlier, with or without their grandfather's stills: 1

Name of this person: François Guy.

Elementary my dear Hiram!

I won't bore you or your readers by repeating the same deductive reasoning with the Bugnon version, but let's just say the blue bottle and the butcher shop tiles in the Rowley picture are clues..

So in light of this, your pained insistence on waiting for official confirmation from La Fee's marketing department seemed to me a little comical. It still does.

Edited by Oxygenee