Alan Moss

New Absinthe Boutique

I think I already dropped enough hints of my intention to stay in absinthe, so I am delighted to announce that I will be helping Claude-Alain Bugnon develop his small business and, in particular, La Clandestine. I can't think of another absinthe I would prefer to be involved with: great absinthes, a wonderful brand, and lots of potential (although always staying "artisanale"). And Claude-Alain probably doesn't need too much of an introduction here: a real force in absinthe.

What Claude-Alain does best is to produce hand-crafted absinthe, and I know he wants to focus on that. Hence my involvement on the communication and sales side. Stage one of this is a new absinthe boutique: absinthe-suisse.com

We hope you like the boutique: we will expand the range slowly, focusing on absinthe from the Val-de-Travers and Pontarlier regions. Cognac comes only from Cognac, and Scotch comes only from certain areas of Scotland: so we want to focus on the birthplace of absinthe.

Happy (and a few hours late) Thanksgiving!

Fabulous Alan! The site looks very nice from my quick spin (very quick). I'll definitely visit for a more in depth view when I'm more awake. Congats!

:cheers:

ps Sounds like a great job. Getting to visit Switzerland a lot sounds like the best part. :D

Congratulations! Just in time, I had 2 of those items on my next "to buy" list.

Good luck.

Edited by OMG_Bill

Wonderful! :cheers: Since I'm finding that the SO and I are partial to the la bleues, our next order may just have to come from you. And I see that you guarantee deliveries too!

Saved as a favorite. Thanks and congrats, Brian Eno (joke from another post)! Wish you much success!

On this homepage I found this paragraph:

For your order in Switzerland:

You should find our products in shop nearest your home. For that, try to check our Resellers page classified by county or you can send an Email to the web shop by using the contact page

I went then to one of these Resellers and compared prices. What you pay in Euro (and then in addition the shipping costs) we pay here in Switzerland at the Resellers - but in Swiss Francs. A bottle of Kübler53 costs me +/- 50 sFr.. If I order in this shop I pay 82 sFr..

Could anyone explain that?

Sad to see, that Absinthe is (mis-)used that much to make a fast fortune..

I understand your point, SLP but I would be so excited to walk into an area shop in Montana and pay $68 for a liter of Kübler53.

I understand your point, SLP but I would be so excited to walk into an area shop in Montana and pay $68 for a liter of Kübler53.

It's in Alans hands to make your wish come true ;)

I'm going to respond to SLP in more detail on this tomorrow Europe time.

In short, if SLP has a problem with our prices, let him - or anyone else here - look at all the other internet prices too. On most normal courier-supplied and guaranteed orders to the USA, especially for La Clandestine (where we can cut out the middleman) but also on a normal mixed delivery, absinthe-suisse will have the best (= cheapest) total price.

I don't currently see anyone in the absinthe business making a fortune, let alone making a fast one!

PS Thanks, Alyssa.

look at all the other internet prices too.

I do of course know the other shops - and don't like their prices as well..

I presumed that you ship directly from Switzerland to the states - which made me wonder about the high prices of the bottles... (for safe shipping one pays the shipping costs, not?)

When I fist read through the homepage I thought to have found an Online-Shop wich would be interesting for swiss absintheurs. But it seems (and I hope to be prooved wrong) that I would have to pay as well these exorbitant prices. (Yes, I saw the link to the retailers.. - but 99 % of them in my region sell only K53 and CAB's Absinthes).

@Alan: no offence meant! It's just frustrating how expensive Absinthe is being resold. Which is the reason I buy most bottles at the distillers'.

Edited by slp

SLP, no offence taken. It's a good issue to raise, and I have no problem in replying to any issue of this sort. I may work with an absinthe that is Clandestine by name, but I hope I can be quite open here!

As promised, a more comprehensive reply.

Briefly, I am not fully involved in what goes on in the local Swiss market so I cannot comment in detail on the local Kübler prices. We have to buy from Kübler, and probably don't buy as much as their local re-seller. And our internet operation is probably more labour intensive than their local retail service. This is similar to the brand I used to work on: £19.99 for a 50 cl bottle in Tesco, £32.46 for the same bottle delivered to my door in the UK. To summarise that aspect, internet absinthe businesses are not yet big enough to offer the price benefits of an Amazon! Having said that, Claude-Alain and I will re-visit the delivered Switzerland prices.

As far as our main US delivered internet prices are concerned:-

I have cross-checked our prices against the other 5 main sites (I exclude only Spirits Corner as they do not yet stock La Clandestine or most of the other absinthes we carry).

1. On a 3 bottle Kübler purchase, we offer better courier-delivered prices to the USA than most of the other vendors. AND we give a 100% guarantee in the case of non-delivery.

2. Our prices for La Clandestine are unbeatable. We have cut out the middleman, so we should be able to give a great deal on this. Including courier delivery to the USA, a US consumer would save between € 9 and € 37 on a 3 bottle order compared with the other 5 main internet companies. That for a high quality absinthe that is consistently rated both here and at major events such as the Absinthiades as one of the very best you can get.

However we are aware that with the decline of the dollar v. last year, it's a tough environment. So we were pleased to improve still further on our pricing for La Clandestine with our launch special giving a saving of another € 20. To re-iterate my previous post: on most normal courier-supplied orders to the USA, especially for La Clandestine but also on a normal mixed delivery, absinthe-suisse will be the best price.

Thanks for the excellent reply Alan.

Shipping from Europe is going to be expensive. And to have the vendor guarantee their order, well that costs money too.

Are there any special benefits for being a member of the Alan Moss Fan Club? Like do I get a secret decoder ring or anything like that, that's kool?