JohnC

1914 Pernod Fils Cache

I think desirability is probably the key word. Condition, quality and rarity can be debated. Money talks. Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Even PTBarum understood that.

But if that were the case, then why were the samples of the only Cuban vintage bottle found to date selling for so much less than the other bottles procured at the same time?

Because it's vintage Sebor. The quality of the samples isn't bad, but the original product is... uuhmm...definitely different.

Because it's vintage Sebor. The quality of the samples isn't bad, but the original product is... uuhmm...definitely different.

Which proves my point that rarity is not the only determining factor in price.

Of course quality is also a factor in the price of vintage items.

But rarity often trumps quality, as in Absomphe's example of a rare plastic Superman ring commanding many times the price of a fine diamond ring.

With vintage absinthe, the quality comes into play more when the collectable sealed bottle is taken out of the equation, and the contents are offered as taster's samples.

I stand behind my assertion that a sealed bottle of cheap, xitty absinthe from 1902 would fetch as high a price as a bottle from this 1914 Pernod Fils cache, simply because of the unlikliness of anyone having preserved such a bottle for so long. But obviously, if there were only one bottle of Pernod Fils from that time, it would be far more valuable, due to the quality.

Its all in what one wants and how badly. Take this very current item as an example. Pretty hefty but pretty rare and wanted by somebody who was willing to pay.

Another good example, like the 1940's superman ring. Someone out there wants what you have and is willing to pay big.

My rule: I get what I want and pay more for it. P.T. Barnum would love me, till my wallet was empty.

Perhaps someone would like a few empty absinthe bottles. Pristine condition, filled with air and corked to prevent contamination. Kept in a controlled environment. Still have the aromatics of the previous contents. I prefer PayPal. :devil:

I also have a few Jade corks, intact! ;)

Just finished my first absinthe bottle ever. Blanchette. Not gonna throw it away for sentimental value. sniff, sniff. :)

I tend to hang on to one empty bottle of each kind of absinthe I try, except for the czech kind that I tried once. I'd like to have a full bottle of each kind on hand always, but I don't have that much self-control or money.

This is off topic but we have donated our empty bottles to our Theatre Company. Whenever a set calls for a bar Props has a very interesting selection. Absinthe education is alive and well in our area.

My bottle from the 1914 cache arrived today! (yes, on Sunday)

Rather than open it just yet, I'm celebrating by drinking one of my 1935 Tarragona samples. The sweet, honeyed mellowness of it makes me want to cry for the beauty of the human condition.

We are creatures of spirit confined to a mortal frame, and maybe it's a one-shot deal.

But the mortal frame affords us some unbelievable joys, one of them being vintage Pernod...

I'm still floored by the Sunday delivery! Good for you, Wild Bill! Enjoy!

But the mortal frame affords us some unbelievable joys, one of them being vintage Pernod...
Yup! New large screen plasma tv or an old bottle of alcohol? The choice seems obvious to me... :drunk:

My nephew would have prefered the tv

Good for you Bill. If yours came today mine should be here next week sometime. I am still trying to come up with the right special occasion to open my bottle.

Edited by Lister

If only my bank account could afford me some of those unbelievable joys...

Still, I've got some damn good stuff here, and what I don't know can't hurt me...right? Right?

My bottle from the 1914 cache arrived today! (yes, on Sunday)

Oxy must use a different troupe of flying monkeys than LDF uses.

Enjoy, indeed, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!

Which is why I'm still waiting for mine, I suspect. :devil: ;)

[Which is why I'm still waiting for mine, I suspect. :devil: ;)

Abs, once for all, try to keep that lovely picture in your mind : four customs officers, after a hard labor day, drinkink your bottle of PF1914 diluted with some calcareous tap water in some cheap plastic glasses, and all claiming "what a nice pastis! those froggies are making damn good liquors!"

:devil:

I doubt they would have any idea what it was or want to drink anything out of a filthy unlabled bottle, however, if the did they probably wouldn't know to add water at all and would probably not like it.

Phew, it sure is lucky happenstance that I have absolutely no visual imagination whatsoever, isn't it? :P

As long as those nice, hard working Customs officials are capable of appreciating their contraban, I have no problem with it, especially since I have complete faith that Oxy will send a prompt replacement. :devil:

Unless he runs out of the cache first, that is. :shock: