Jetzster

Absinthe and B.Y.O.B bars?

Curiosity has the best of me...Anyone dealt with the B.Y.O.B situation in certain bars and Absinthe?

Apparently some places still play this strange game, it seems that's the way it works in the state of Utah ,as you supposedly can't buy liquor by the drink in any bar (except in Park City, which is inhabited by yuppie tourists),instead, you have to buy minibottles from the State liquor outlets or join private clubs to order hard liquor by the drink.

Most of the public "bars" and restaurants will sell you the ice and the mixer, and you provide the booze(Absinthe?) and sometimes pay corkage fees as they keep your covered bottle behind the bar till you request another drink..I understand back East(New Jersey) people are allowed in some places to bring their own liquors into dinner clubs and dodge the high markup costs..(Would not transportation home be an issue if its opened?) Does this occur in Europe?

Could/Would Absinthe ever be tolerated in these situations? Technically,the bar is not serving the liquor? Opinions?....Perhaps Drinkboy has run across this in his travels...

(To any not aware,Drinkboy has a superb resource site and has taken Mixology to the PhD level,indeed,We are fortunate he is onboard here)

Edited by Jetzster

Just offhand, I'm going to guess that any state that has such uptight, oppressive laws on alcohol probably isn't going to take kindly to absinthe.

There will always be those places where the regulars and very well known customers, friends of owners or bartenders, etc. can do what they want.

I "BYOB" of all sorts of things quite a bit at various bars across town, usually leaving the bottle with the establishment since I want to make sure that they have a chance to play around with whatever product it is I'm bringing in... I'm pretty sure "leaving" the product is illegal (if they in turn serve this to customers), and sort of expect that there is probably a law here in WA that should prevent me from bringing in "hard liquor" (wine is of course legal), although haven't verified it.

If we assume that bringing in your own "gin" is legal in some locale, then I expect that the authorities would be hard pressed to treat Absinthe any differently, since "posession" and "consumption" isn't illegal, and that is all you are doing.

[insert standard "I am not a lawyer" disclaimer here]

This would be worth investigating to see what is, and is not, prosecutable here. I'll begin asking around.

-Robert

Ah then, DB,so it would appear possession is legal and consumption is not?

Edited by Jetzster

Consumption isn't illegal, it's just the wording is slightly confusing,

"produced for sale and consumption in, the United States."

In other words producing absinthe to be sold and drank in the US is illegal (as the regulations are for "finished food" products.)

The regulations are specifically directed at import and production. A company can't create a product that is meant for consumption which breaks regulations and sell it. Stores also can't sell absinthe meant for consumption.

Which is seperate from personal consumption done in your home, I'm unsure how FDA regs and corkage fees interact though. (if corkage fees are purely for the service of opening and holding a glass bottle with liquid in it then I would guess it is all legal).

so

production=consumption=No

import=production=consumption= No

import=consumption=Yes

import=corkerage=consumption=possibly

Hiram,could the FAQ's be not defined correctly?

Edited by Jetzster

Perhaps new member Clandestine could lend us some sound advice on this?

http://wormwoodsociety.org/forums/index.php?showuser=1019

Haven't figured out how to change the name to a pasted link on this thing yet.

When I was a kid the state of Texas didn't have liquor by the drink. My dad had a briefcase which held two bottles and glasses, and a cocktail shaker. When we went out to eat, the waiter would bring a mixer and Dad would mix himself and Mom a drink.

This has nothing to do with absinthe. This question just brought up these memories. Now back to your regularly scheduled forum.

Yeah, I think some states used to call the mixers a "set up".

We have done a few BYOBesque events in a couple of bars in Minneapolis. We had a themed night a couple times, and well... one of the bar owners knew of 'this guy' who could get absinthe. Since the events were structured as a 'pay x to get in, regardless of what or if you drink... but drinks are free from then on' it was... of a sort, legal.

As to the overall legality, a few of us were just discussing it last weekend, and I think we all sorta agreed that consumption and possession are legal... selling and manufacture are not, and importing is dicey.

but of course, insert 'we are not lawyers' here.

Wow. 1980.

Pffft.

Best...

Mozart, Serenade No. 10 for winds in B flat major ("Gran Partita")

The Decemberists, The Crane's Wife

Etta James, Sugar on the Floor

Judy Garland, Zing! Went the Strings of my Heart

Steppenwolf, Twisted

Albert Collins, Brick

etc...

:harhar:

Just whip it! Whip it good!

Technically, it should be "whip it well." ;) I guess Devo skipped that day of English class.

Edited by jcbphd

Only if he is meaning to indicate that his sense of touch is unimpaired. Verbs of sensation are an exception to the rule. I shall now doff my grammar police hat. ;)

Boy! Try to make a little joke and someone busts my chops! ;)

Remind me not to take you to a Stand-up Bar. :harhar:

Doh! [said in a Homer Simpson-esque manner] :P

:drunk: BYOB is a simple process for me in any eating/drinking establishment. Just order a goblet of water with ice and a sprig of mint. Sip the water until the ratio of ice, water and the sample of Absinthe that I carry in a flask, in my pocket, can be secretly intermixed and whalaa.

Now some of you purists may scoff at this practice, but hey forgive me, I cant seem to fit the camelbak into my hat with the tube running down my sleeve to the dripper.

Now I wait for a smokeless cigar. :pirate:

Edited by Wrayalien