Sign in to follow this  
ompir

decided to introduce myself

I decided to intorduce myself today. I have been reading the forum for a while and joined a few days ago.

I live in Atlanta, GA so I am not local to your group, but I've found this site to be most infomative and helpful in my quest for information about Absinthe.

I have known of Absinthe for quite some time but never really bacame interested in it until my curiosity was piqued about year and a half ago when watching an episode of Crossing Jordan. A young man died from mysterious causes and it turned out that he had been drinking Absinthe sent to him by his mother in the the Czech Republic. (Please note that I am aware that this "Absinthe" is not highly regarded here).

At any rate, my best friend and I plan one big vacation each year and last year we planned on going to the Czech Republic and Hungary. One thing we were going to do was sample some Absinthe. Alas, that trip was postponed, but my interest seemed to continue.

I had thought about ordering some Absinthe online. Of course, the first ones that I located were Czech. I looked at the price and was surprised to say the least. Not knowing anything aobut quality or the differences in it, I thought the King of Spirits would be best. Mercifully, I ran across a couple of forums and was spared the disaster of that purchase.

Now I know better and I'm looking forward to my first sip of a much better Absinthe.

I will be in Europe for a month this year and I'm getting some feelers out to find where to sample some different brands while I'm there. I will be in Amsterdam for a few days and I'm hopeful to find some bar that offers some variety, or at the least some varieties not from eastern europe. I will also be spending some time in Colmar, France. If anyone knows where, in that area, to try some, I'd be most interested in hearing from you.

I guess that may be more information than you'd like, but now the introduction is done.

I'm looking forward to becoming more educated. You all seem to be quite the educated group and are honest with your reviews and thoughts about the Absinthe that is available today. Thanks

Welcome, ompir! :cheers:

First the bad news: as far as I know, decent absinthe is not to be found in the Netherlands (Mrs. Hiram is from there). As for France, try looking here: http://www.heureverte.com/adresses_bars.html

Maybe one of our European guests could be of more assistance.

Are you acquainted with the other Atlantean members that have joined recently? It seems like a pattern. ;)

Thanks for the welcome.

I have to say, the bad news comes as no surprise to me. I was just being hopeful. Alas, I may have to try some of the dregs of the Absinthe world but it will no doubt make me appreciate the better ones that I will eventually try.

As for the other Atlanta members... I've made an initial contact with one of them. As far as I know, we do not know one another (or at least I don't know them) but hopefully we can meet.

I am looking forward to learning more from you knowledgeable folks on here.

If you want a forum where you can chat on a more national/international level, head on over to http://www.feeverte.net . they play a bit rough over there, but as long as you've done your research, you'll fit right in, and you may even be able to find some more folks from your area.

Welcome.

GOSHDARNIT, I can't get those folks to verify me. (sigh) LouchedLounge was quick to do so, thereby insuring my first Absinthe forum disembowelment. If LL is the 'lite' version, I eagerly anticipate the FULL disembowelment promised by LVF!!!

(I had no idea how slow I would type when I had to hold my intestines in one hand)

I always thought FV was LL light.

However, it sounds like it's going to get rougher than 'Big Bold and Red' over there soon.

And Welcome ompir!

Thanks guys--

I've been reading at FV and I think I'll continue to read there. I'm not one that likes to embarrass myself in a "public" forum so rest assured I will think twice before stepping out on a limb over there. I've seen some people make a mistake and pay a hefty price for it.

I understand how tired you knowlegable people must get hearing the same questions over and over. And, I understnad why you "take them to the woodshed" in short order.

I have glanced at the LL a few times, but I don't think thats my flavor. Just seems a bit too rough for someone like me right now. After I've become more well versed in the ways of Absinthe, I may join the fray.

In the work that I do, I hear the same questions over and over, year after year. I am gald that I am paid to hear them and answer them as though I have never heard them before.

I don't leave for Europe until March, so I have some time to do some more investigation and to read and enjoy the witty reparte on here.

I wouldn't worry too much about Fee Verte, as long as you do thorough searches before asking questions you'll be ok. I lurked for a while before posting, and I escaped relatively unharmed. Just keep your wits about you.

And above all, don't get cocky and act like you're going to go in and set everyone straight. The phrase "bloody pulp" comes to mind.

Yes, trainer, I said "cocky" again. ;)

Huh-huh-huh. That's cool.

I wouldn't worry too much about Fee Verte, as long as you do thorough searches before asking questions you'll be ok. I lurked for a while before posting, and I escaped relatively unharmed. Just keep your wits about you.

It really isn't thorough searches. It's being knowledgeable enough to the point where you aren't asking stupid questions. I don't really mind answering the queston "where can I find absinthe in paris" over and over again, It's just when people mention thujone in a foolish way or whatnot is when fire and brimstone rains down from the sky in short orde.

Hi, Ompir, and welcome.

Forget about A-dam, as far as absinthe is concerned. Otherwise, it's a nice city.

I don't know about Colmar, but if you are in north-eastern France in general, consider a visit to Pontarlier. That's where it all started, and you can have a glass of François Guy at any caf. Good chance to find out which side you're on as far is this particular brand is concerned without having to order a bottle. You can also visit the Guy and the Emile Pernot distilleries.

Most of the decent (but not spectacular) french brands can be found in shops in Pontarlier. If you get to Paris, find a shop called Les Caves du Roy in Rue Simart at Montmartre; they have BdF, and from what I've heard, they've got Jade NO too by now (pierreverte can enlighten you on that matter).

Are you going to other countries/cities?

Thanks for this information.

As far as Amsterdam is concerned, the absinthe was a longshot there. I will enjoy the city and other pleasures offered in abundance there.

Colmar is the only city in France where I will be staying. I'm doing two lectures there and then will have time for some sightseeing. Colmar, in the Alsace region, is about a two hour drive from the distilleries. I think now I will have a nice day trip planned. It will be nice to have a friend/translator along for this adventure. Unfortunately I won't be getting back to Paris on this trip. But I do travel to Europe occasionally for fun. This trip happens to mostly business (thus the locations) and a little time for fun.

I will also be in Sweden (Stockholm area) and then in Manchester, England before returning home again.

Should I find some libations that I want to ship home could someone kindly email me recommendations of the best courier or mode of transit to use?

I'm looking forward to this.

Ompir

Ompir,

Did you have any success on your trip across the pond?

(BTW, I don't know if 3 constitutes a critical mass as far as green hour planning goes, but there are at least 3 WS members here in Atlanta: Oscar, you and myself.)

I always thought FV was LL light.

However, it sounds like it's going to get rougher than 'Big Bold and Red' over there soon.

And Welcome ompir!

FV is LL Lite. By lite, I make no reference to info gained. LL is sorta the absinthe rompa-room on the net, ha. If you can handle acres of abuse, they are a good bunch to know, if only irl.

FV was where most folks got good absinthe knowledge until Hiram created this nice little haven. I love it here, but like most of us, we all kinda cross police lines, and have friends at all three.

I'm ready for a get together.

Hey Oscar,

I am supposed to come out to Alpharetta sometime after the first of the year for a couple of weeks, maybe we can get together on the weekend between.

We may not have any decent Absinthes from Hollandic basis, but there's enough from France and Switzerland on the shelves

Anyways, Welcome!

I'm ready for a get together.

Hey Oscar,

I am supposed to come out to Alpharetta sometime after the first of the year for a couple of weeks, maybe we can get together on the weekend between.

Sounds great. PM me and we can work out the details.

Also Ompir, when are you in Amsterdam? Perhaps we could meet up and have a glass somewhere.

Welcome Ompir,

Notice how no one is traveling to the cultural mecca that is Montana and asking for a get together? Oh well, I guess I don't have to share my Absinthe.

Sorry Pensieve, OUR Absinthe. :drunk:

Welcome Ompir,

Notice how no one is traveling to the cultural mecca that is Montana and asking for a get together?  Oh well, I guess I don't have to share my Absinthe.   

Wish I would've known you were there when I was driving through Montana. Oh well, I'll catch up with you next massive road trip I make :cheers:

Welcome Ompir,

Notice how no one is traveling to the cultural mecca that is Montana and asking for a get together?  Oh well, I guess I don't have to share my Absinthe.   

Damn straight OUR absinthe, and don't you forget it or I'll have to get the cane out again!

Guess I don't need to bother welcoming Ompir....