Marrow

Introducing myself.

Hi there!

I've been hanging around for a couple of days (mainly because I couldn't post) while checking LDF every time I passed a computer to make sure I wasn't missing l'artisanale.

I've had a couple of absinthes. I started with VdF, then moved on to Jade Edouard, got my hands on the 1st batch of Blanche Traditionelle ("Brut d'alambic" 'Essai 1'), enjoyed Deep Forest's Verte, and managed to swallow a few shots of Czech crap at my friends' parties before I even bought the VdF...and strangely, still managed to stomach a few of the things after.

I've attempted (unsuccessfully) to get my local off-licence to start selling absinthe from LDF instead of the Czech crap they peddle for £55.00 a bottle. I'm still not entirely certain whether the shop is being ripped off by their supplier, or if they buy it for dirt-cheap and sell it on to the people looking for thujone and fire. They looked at the website (I recommended they check out Eichelberger, Jade, and Duplais) but still believed that their crap was good and persist in offering me a bottle whenever I walk in the place. In any case, it doesn't look like I'll be getting a free bottle of my choice from LDF any time soon.

I decided to join the forum because my interest grew in this mysterious '1797' absinthe that's 'coming soon'. I can hardly wait.

So that's my absinthe history in a nutshell.

Nice to meet you all!

I do have one question though: Why do people seem to have something against the Jade absinthes?

Edited by Marrow

When the opportunity presents itself I like to hold a glassful of NO or Eddy (or even the VS, I won't complain) against my lips and sip at leisure.

Ahoj and welcome! :cheers:

What Mindshifter said. I love the Jades and Ike and Duplais and CLB and... well, you get my meaning. For others, I wouldn't dare presume.

Welcome and :cheers:

That's a cool map -- it's funny the way there are more of you in the US than anywhere else even though absinthe is banned there!

About the Jade question: Basically I've heard two or three people ('Dr. O' mainly) who seem to think Ted's absinthe isn't at all authentic. I was wondering if there is anything to substantiate this type of claim before I get another bottle.

Welcome! :cheers:

Dr. O is "local color" at Fée Verte, but isn't a member here. While he makes some good points from time to time, he tends to be a bit of a wacko who insists that thujone is vitally important and that pre-ban absinthe was very bitter.

Jade is perfectly good absinthe and while tastes may vary, it's as close to authentic pre-ban absinthe as anything on the market.

I believe a number of people have issues with Jade more because of exaggerated marketing claims which suggest that it's the first and only authentic, pre-ban style absinthe on the market, of which it is neither.

I like the Jades, but I'm uncomfortable about the maker's claims that he alone "re-discovered the lost art of absinthe making", which was never lost, merely obscured. There were a number of decent absinthes on the market before the Jades appeared.

This issue has been a source of fierce debate and has often degenerated into very personal abuse, slander and hatred, which I don't need to see here, particularly since the maker (Ted Breaux) is a member here.

Welcome! I love the Jade NO and I consider the claims of it being burnt or funky to be greatly exaggerated. I'm just a little wary of spending so much money on it when there are cheaper absinthes that are, in my opinion, as good. I honestly like the Duplais Prototype 30 (soon to be released as the Duplais Balance) a bit more.

Welcome. I love the Jades and consider them (especially the VS) to be my favourite COs. Typically there are two sources of Jade bashing and both come form a very select few. One are the political issues like Hiram mentioned and the other are people comparing COs to HGs and then criticising the COs (unfair in my opinion since most of us only have access to the COs).

NO is one of the few vertes I can enjoy without triggering a migraine. I especially enjoy it with dark chocolate. There are some wonderful truffles in a different thread that I'm intrigued by.

Welcome. :cheers: