Ether Maiden

Absinthe Truffle

I figured since I reviewed the Venchi absinthe chocolate bar a while back, I'd mention this absinthe and chocolate pairing as well.

63_20_popup.jpg

Pictured far right, with the candied violet petal

Vosges lists as the flavors in their Absinthe truffle

Chinese star anise + fennel + Pastis + dark chocolate

Personally a fan of Vosges truffles (as well as many of their chocolate bars), I decided to try this truffle and compare both to absinthe as a beverage, as well as to the Venchi bar.

The chocolate is, as expected, very good. A nice dark but not too bitter chocolate. The interesting part to me is that, unlike the Venchi which tasted much like drinking CLB and eating bitter chocolate, this was a wonderful blend of deep chocolate tones and an absinthe flavor very akin to the older Montmartre recipe.

While I still prefer the Venchi for ease of availability and portability, if you are more the truffle type this is definately worth it. If you ever find yourself near the Vosges boutiques in NYC, Chicago, or Vegas, I strongly suggest stopping in an trying one.

Edited by martygreene

BTDoyle is still at work with a chocolatier in West Chester to make an absinthe truffle with some Jade. He seems to be very interested. When I was last up there, we tried some of his Scotch truffles, and I loved them. I'm looking forward to trying the 'Juffles'. Doyle, get to work! If need be, I'll supply the man!

Oh man! Thanks for the link! :cheers:

Their Collezione Italiano sounds excellent...

3 rooster: Italian taleggio cheese + organic walnuts + Tahitian vanilla beans + bittersweet dark chocolate

2 olio d'oliva: extra virgin olive oil + white chocolate + dried Kalamata olives

2 balsamico: 10 year old balsamic vinegar + dark chocolate + roasted Sicilian hazelnuts

1 sale del mare: Sicilian sea salt + milk chocolate + burnt sugar caramel + pine nut

1 finocchio: Wild Tuscan fennel pollen + dark chocolate + floral anise

This will be Holiday list item #3 for me! :cheers:

Absinthe and dark chocolate works for me.

The precious bride doesn't share my fondness of the drink but we make weekly visits to the Godiva Boutique.

We pick a dozen different truffles to compare at home. A truffle fest for two.

An empty nest isn't all bad. ;)

:cheers:

I was fortunate to visit Paris back in 1999 and 2000. I found a wonderful shop on the Left Bank selling all sorts of chocolate confections. I bought 500 grams of chocolate truffles to bring back home. Every time I ate one (ha! one, my eye!) it brought back such wonderful memories.

Mindshifter, surely there must be a good chocolatier in Stockholm at least, no?

Ha Nymph! I just busted into a box of Godiva Chocolates today. No chocolate covered cherries so far....

Edited by Stroller

Dakini: Luckily, yes. Actually even here in my town: just recently, two heaven-sent young ladies opened this little shop called "Chocolate & Praline". They make their own goodies, including chocolate that's just marvelous.

Alas, no truffles – yet.

Hmmm... Again I am inspired by this forum. I better inform the boyfriend (a reknown pastry chef) that he is making me some absinthe truffles this weekend. I love being spoiled. I am making gift baskets for the friends & loved ones this year for Yule presents with all homemade products. What would be better than "green" truffles to go with my mead, candles and bath salts?

Doyle - what luck have you had with your guy?

Absinthe and chocolate (hell, chocolate and anise period) are a darn good combination anytime they are done well. Absinthe cremes are tasty as hell when covered in a dark chocolate.

Ha Nymph! I just busted into a box of Godiva Chocolates today. No chocolate covered cherries so far....

Is this your version of Na Na Na Na Na? :sadbanana:

Doyle - what luck have you had with your guy?

Well, he seemed enthused about it when we first spoke; then I later heard from an employee at his shop that he was up in NYC visiting with someone and that absinthe had come up in that conversation as well. I think that all I need to do is provide him with some absinthe and he will make me the chocolates... It's just that whole thing of buying a couple bottles to not drink that's holding me back....

Well, I just got off the phone with the beloved. He seems pretty stoked on the idea. He says it is going to take some experimenting to get a good product that would be appreicated by those who really know absinthe. After much talking it through, we have come up with 2 variations. One would be a truffle, and one would be a chocolate with a creamy absinthe filling. I just have to get the mold for the second one.

Edited by Alyssa Dyane

Is this your version of Na Na Na Na Na? :sadbanana:

:harhar:

I make truffles about 3 times a year, usually on or near holidays, and every once in a while some pretty killer ones. Just finished a batch yesterday that was made with Frangelico liquer, having some tonight for dessert. Now this thread has got me thinking of ideas to use absinthe.

Lister - do you have concerns about the high alcohol content breaking down the chocolate? I am seriously making some. I will have the pastry chef B/F to guide me, but it's my next project (after I get the mead going tonight - thanks for the pointers T73).

I know nothing about chocolate making but It strikes me that Absinthe in it's undiluted 65-74%abv form may not only be too high for the confection but also too high to taste good. Maybe this is a duhh on my part but an Absinthe filling would be significantly diluted would it not?

Edited by ShaiHulud

Yes Shai, and that is a good question. I have 2 chocolates in mind. One would have a cream absinthe filling, using only a small amount of absinthe in the cream, the cream diluting out the absinthe - and making it yummers. I am concerned with the truffle. There you would be mixing the absinthe right into the chocolate - that's where it might break down. The B/F says we should duplicate the flavours of the absinthe, without adding absinthe - but I am against that idea.

yeah, not really possible since some of those flavours are really only soluble in alcohol and require distillation to filter out the yuck. I suppose one could try anise, mint and... what? fennel? Whatever you tried they would not be Absinthe confections with out Absinthe.

Lister - do you have concerns about the high alcohol content breaking down the chocolate? I am seriously making some.
oh dear, a technical question. I'm not much of a technical cook. I basically throw stuff together. If it works great, if not, try again. Except for maybe rum/brandy balls I usually don't use liquor for the alcohol but for the flavor. Sometimes I simmer the liquor until the alcohol has evaporated and you're just left with the essence of the basic flavor. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't... I will be trying it out this weekend. Good luck in yours. I am interested in hearing how it turns out.

:cheers:

Is it okay to let friends flambe absinthe? If it's poured over chocolate?

But on a gentler note,

Is there any threat that once enough alcohol has evaporated that the oils will be susceptible to damage by the heat?

May I offer a safety suggestion? Asinthe has about twice as much as alcohol as brandy. Keep in mind that the vapor in the air will be twice as much. If you do attempt to evaporate the alcohol off, do it very slowly and have a window open with a fan. Do not attempt to do this with a gas flame stove.

Yeah, I actually cook with absinthe quite a bit. I just asked the chef if we should cook it off a bit before putting it in the truffles, and I got a 15 minute long lecture on why we are NOT going to do that. I don't remember the whole reason. About 45 seconds into it, my mind went blank and was humming the Gilligan's Island theme song. He's starting to get really into this project - which is a good thing for me. He says we have a lot of experimenting to do this weekend - a 3 day weekend at that!

Hiram, I just read the other thread and saw that you use NO in your sauce for bread pudding. I had hoped I came up with it first. Oh well. :)