Auguru

Inspired newb

I may be with you on that.

Absinthe Leone. This italian absinthe is produced in Turin. The taste is very interesting, as citrus and other fresh herbs like melissa are present. You can not imagine that it has anise, but when water is added the green color louches tobeautiful white.

These are the folks that make those little "absinthe" pastilles. I'm interested in hearing what you think about it.

Well, I tried the Leone.

Definitely a departure from the other absinthes I've tried. All of the others have been instantly appealing (Suisse, Jade N.O., BdF, VdF). What to say? I don't detect the anise in any strength, as it seems to be overpowered by the citrus-like flavor. Almost harsh to a fault. I didn't add sugar and found the bitterness was much more distinct here. Not that it wasn't sweet, it was. I doubt adding sugar would help much. My palate is not yet sophisticated enough to pick out the other flavors (melissa?, etc...), but I gonna keep working at it.

Just 'cause I rank it at the bottom of my short list doesn't mean it is undrinkable. Far from it, I suspect it will grow on me. A curious detour, I certainly wouldn't have wanted this to be my first encounter with absinthe. This bottle is going to last a long time. Oh, it was a very pale green, but louched terrifically.

What do the rest of the WS intelligentsia do with the oddities? Do these always get consumed or do many of you have bottles languishing away in the recesses of your liquor cabinets?

I've been lucky enough to have consumed most of my oddities before getting hooked on the better stuff.

I still have a 3/4 finished bottle of Lasala, though. Oh, and a mini-bottle of King of Spirits, of which only one small sip has been taken, and that for the sake of the FV scoresheets.

I also have a wee drop of another, um, oddity, where the problem isn't that it's not worth consuming.

I have boxes full of "oddities." This includes the Emiles and Jades, which I'll probably never end up drinking. Serpis, NS, Deva, Kübler, Segarra 45, Versinthe La Blanche, Mata Hari - the list goes on and on.

Lasala, NS70, Un Emile, Un Emile Sapin*, Elixier, Sebor*, Sergarra 45*, Serpis 65*, Original Fou*, New Fou* and White Fairy*.

*Still sealed

And that's just for starters

I haven't even started on the "real clandestine" La Bleues or others that I really like to drink.

I finally got to the Kbler 53. In short (and nothing new to the WS folk, I'm sure), it came across as "Suisse La Bleue Clandestine" LITE. Aroma, taste, sweetness, texture, all right on target, just a little less intense than the Clandestine. Definitely climbs to a high position on my list. I see that the Kbler 57% and 45% are no longer going to be produced. Any reason to consider trying to get either or both before they are gone for good? Not so much as a collector's thing, but do either have "character" that is missing in the newer 53%?

I also have a wee drop of another, um, oddity, where the problem isn't that it's not worth consuming.

Care to elaborate? Scarcity? Antiquity? Legality?

This one: scarcity due to lack of legality and a little something called the Atlantic Ocean that it tends to stay on the wrong (from my point of view) side of.

Got it through a kind, belgian penguin. Shares its name with said penguin's son.

Well, I have tickets for the self and family for a trip to Seattle (July 26th - August 2nd). Expect to drive up to Vancouver if there is time. Any recommendations for "must see/experience" places or events? I was in Seattle for a meeting back in '91 and never got out of the downtown area. Did enjoy the fish market though. Also got to see the vast racks of manga at several stores, too.

Honestly, how many of you "locals" have those high intensity lamps to treat SAD?

I was only there for a week, but for a native from Phoenix, even that was a long time with nary a peek of sunshine...

I was only there for a week,

Which week? You have to come during summer, it's the best two weeks of the year.

We'll have to do a mini-function while you're here. How big is the family? Any rug-rats we'd have to ditch for a booze-up? Any teen-age girls?

Any recommendations for "must see/experience" places or events?
What kind of stuff do you like? We pretty much have something for everyone, from goth clubs to gun clubs; titty bars to tofu bars; the food is amazing - name a cuisine and we probably have it. We got deserts, glaciers, coasts, rainforests.

Truthfully, you'll be here during probably the hottest, driest time of year.

I have a couple of lamps in my house but I never turn them on. It ruins my ability to see most days.

If the sun comes out, I stay inside with my sun glasses on as not to ruin my cloudy vision.

The meeting I attended was in late November/early December to the best of my recollection. My colleagues did tease me with tales of raw, unadulterated sunshine (they hired a car and drove to Mt. Ranier). Apparently, when you drive up mountains, you eventually rise above the clouds!

I do recall the food (especially seafood) was excellent. And for someone attending a meeting about parasites and disease, diversions like food are all important.

The tickets are for July 26 - Aug 2. Maybe we'll have a few clear days after all. My wife remarked earlier this evening that we'll have to take our passports if we want to go to Canadia (and bring copies of birth certificates for the kids [10, 13, and 16yrs, respectively]). I thought these restrictions weren't expected 'til 2008?

The avatar is indeed from the Bad Mojo game. I had to clean it up a bit, resize and whatnot. One of my favorite games and a striking image, if I must say so myself.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game when it was first released (way back in 1996). An updated version was released last winter and, though a little dated, is still a great little adventure. There are images and sounds from the game that still give me the "creeping willies"...

I created a "PocketPC Theme" based on the image, too. See the following link. Because the image is complex, it works best if you turn off most of the on-screen text (I use a minimal layout: just the date/time text line at the top of the screen).

Bad Mojo PocketPC Theme

You know, I have it, but for some reason I've never played it.

The popularity of the German game version a few years back is what drove the rerelease here in the US. Maybe the fact that the common cockroach is also called the German cockroach has something to do with it. Connections...