Auguru

Inspired newb

Yep, received my first absinthe today. After reading/lurking 'bout for a couple 'o weeks, decided to order a bottle of "la bleue clandestine" from Alandia. A bit worried it wouldn't make it through customs, but here it is. I guess I should thank the courier gods. According to the customs declaration, it appears I purchased some sort of "XXX XXXX" and a couple of XXXX (damning references removed). Very well packed I must say.

Decided to wait until tomorrow to actually try it (too much post-work-week aggravation today). That way I can invest in the "ritual" appropriately. Seeing the home-made ice water fountains inspired me to try the same. Off to Target tomorrow.

Absinthe's historical reputation was not new to me, but I have to admit it was seeing the mesmerist "Lodz" on HBO's "Carnivale" treat himself to a glass of absinthe that really got my interest piqued.

Back tomorrow.

(What is the aversion to the bohemian/flaming ritual? I wasn't going to try it anyway, just curious why it registers so negatively).

Edited by Auguru

I belive its because its really a modern day marketing thing,more than an actual 'ritual' of the past.

think of it,would paris still be standing if all those frenchmen were lighting up their absinthe in the days of serious absinthe imbibing? :D

and ...welcome!!!

Edited by mylo

Ha!

And yes,

the "ritual" is a fairly recent one.

And usually involves really bad absinth.

(It was, incidentally, difficult for me to type that without the e.)

Welcome! I just got done watching episodes 7 - 10 not 15 minutes ago. I'm digging Carnivale.

The "Czech ritual" is hogwash and would ruin the flavor of any worthwhile absinthe. Apply Occam's Razor: Why bother doing it? What could possibly be the purpose?

Wow! I have to say the absinthe was not quite what I expected. I am not much of a spirit connoiseur (jeez, how do you spell that?), so wasn't ready for the reality of it. I tried it first with the sugar cube. Took a lot longer to dissolve than I thought it would. Actually made a bit of a mess with the water (good for a chuckle from my wife, though).

Much stronger anise flavor, too. Made a great, milky louche. I can see this is an acquired taste for someone new like me. The first glass was too sweet for me. Maybe it is just this brand, but I tried a second glass without the sugar cube. Still the great louche, but much more acceptable. I guess I cannot take the extra sweetness of the sugar cube. Definitely not the least bit bitter. Very aromatic. No green color at all. Perhaps a slight bluish color to the louche, but otherwise a milky white.

I tried a bit directly out of the bottle. Yow! Too strong for me. Better with the water ritual. Any suggestions for the ratio of the absinthe to water? Probably just personal preference, but I tried at about 1 part absinthe to 4 - 5 parts water. Too much water? Too little?

Any suggestions for a complementary absinthe? One that has a particular character worth comparing to the Suisse la bleue? I noticed a lot of praise for the "Un Emile 68" and for the Jade Absinthe "Nouvelle-Orlans". Given that the current bottle and one of these might last me a couple of years (I'm patient; no, just a light drinker; and have a modest budget for these things), any suggestions would be appreciated. Of course, if I invite some friends over, I might have to amend my words.

Thanks to all for the welcome, even for a foreigner like me from Altanta.

(The avatar is from the graphics in the computer game "Bad Mojo" which was just re-released for the PC and Mac. I played it when it was released back in 1996 and was mightily impressed. Picked up the new version just to go through it again. Very entertaining, if you can stomach the whole Kafka/roach thing...).

Normally, at around 65-70% alcohol - most people do a one part Absinthe 4-5 parts water. Since your Swiss LB is probably only 50% alchol, you'll need to adjust your ratio.

I noticed a lot of praise for the "Un Emile 68" and for the Jade Absinthe "Nouvelle-Orlans". 

Un Emile was a giant leap forward, when it was launched, but history has moved on since then. I still like it, it's a nice enough drink, but if I'm going to pay for shipping and everything, I'd go for the Fougerolles, which is cheaper and IMHO better - or the Jade, which is vastly superior to any other commercial absinte.

Notice that there are two Jade versions - there's also the Verte Suisse. It's sold out at the moment, but rumours go that it'll be back in march. The VS is my favourite, but I prefer to have both of them around.

You've tried a blanche/bleue, so I'm going to reccomend a verte to you, and will agree with what gertz said. But if you have room to buy more, go with a bottle of Kübler from spirits corner or a bottle of bdf from ldf, in that order.

Welcome!

The Kübler is great, but probably not much different from what you have. I would really reccomend getting one ot the Jades.

Some other good choices are, Abisinthe Amer, Segarra, Verte and Blanche de Fougerolles, or for something strange and different Serpis.

One more thing Auguru, please edit your first post. Customs agents could easily look at this board, and see your post describing how your package was labeled. Next thing you know packages are getting siezed, and we'll all be very unhappy without absinthe. It has happened before.

Ouch! I guess I will have to be more cautious about my word choice regarding shipping info. My comments seemed pretty tame, but I suppose any detail that leads to packages being scrutinized would be awful. Worse than losing a package would be not being able to receive any. Especially since I threw caution to the wind and placed another order. With the recommendations by the WS gurus above (and elsewhere on this site), I ordered a bottle of the Jade N.O. and a sampler of the Verte and Blanche de Fougerolles. Between my first order and this one, the bank is getting that hollow sound again, so I'll have to hold off for a while before I consider anything else.

More comments to follow when the package arrives (I hope)...

A few more comments:

I received my second absinthe order and had a chance to try the Verte and Blanche de Fougerolles. I thought both were good. I still do not have much of a ruler to judge by (only tried the Suisse La Bleue previously). Both louched (I guess it works as a verb) well and were quite aromatic. Repeated the sugar vs. no sugar versions of the ritual. My wife thought the sugar was necessary (but isn't fond of the strong anise flavor). I still prefer no sugar. Both Verte and Blanche were more than sweet enough for me. I prefer flavors that tend toward the bitter and tart anyway, so I will probably avoid the sugar in the future.

I plan to try the Jade N.O. this weekend and compare the 4 products side-by-side.

Several members here suggest the sugar adds as much to "texturize" the absinthe as add sweetness (mask bitterness?). I suppose it is a stretch to wonder if there is a non-sugar additive that would provide the texture. Something perhaps like corn starch in asian cooking? Dextran? Carageenan? I know I'm really reaching here, but any suggestions?

I am reminded a bit of that "orbitz" drink from a few years ago. Now that had texture! Too bad there wasn't more to it...

Orbitz = extinct

Edited by Auguru

Unopened bottles of Orbitz? Are you treating them like vintage stock, to be opened at some future gala event? I probably went through about a dozen bottles trying the various flavors and giving each a second try. I guess I decided there wasn't enough flavor or else that the gimmick wore off faster than a pet rock or mood ring (hoo boy!). It would be fun to scare up a bottle or two to show my kids. I wonder if Clearly Canadian actually made any money on the stuff?

The closest beverage I've run into lately are the Vietnamese "bubble teas" with the tapioca balls. But the tapioca is chewy/sticky and didn't defy gravity like the whatever-they-were globs in the Orbitz bottles.

I remember Orbitz. Haven't seen it in a long time (then again I haven't really been looking for it). I'm still wondering what the hell were those balls made out of.

I just recently tried N.O. and Yum. :) Much better than the VdF. I would need to try it next to the BdF to see which I like better, I think I'm more of a blanche fan though. Serpis 65 is pretty good too for something different.

I've found that my palate has improved since I first started and I can better taste all the different flavors in the drinks, some are pretty subtle.

Billy Beer!

bitches :D

yep,...I have a 6 pack stashed. ..... yep,..I'm old. :D

I actually DRANK some billy beer,..trust me,keeping a 6 pack stashed,is MUCH better than ever trying to drink any.ever.

true swill.

I do belive rhinelander was better. (only true hardcore northwesterners will know THAT reference)

Time to resurrect my own thread...

Well, now that I've tried a few (Suisse, Jade N.O., VdF, BdF), I scraped a little more $ to support the EU.

Ordered the Absinthe Leone, Kübler 53, and Montmartre. Almost ordered the Libertine, but the wallet check scared me off. I sure wish the shipping weren't so high, it's like giving up a bottle or two just to get these sent. All of these were about half the cost of the Jade N.O. Should I expect half the quality? :twitch:

I've seen some compliments on the Kübler and the Montmarte from forum members. Any comments on the Leone? I'll post my own uncultured assessment when they get here (hopefully by early next week).

I like the Montmartre, even though I consider it to be nontraditional.

I had to look up the Leone.

Wouldn't spend money on that one.