Well... I don't think it will actually happen, but, IF I were to prepare a dinner to accomodate a round of absinthe, what would be ideal choices. I have always treated absinthe as more of a "desert" liquor like Madeira. I just want to throw it out there.

I have found if I treat absinthe as a proper apertif and offer 3 or 4 drinks prior to dinner, my guests couldn't care less what I've prepared. ;)

Seriously, as an apertif, absinthe works with any good food.

Bitter herbs are traditionally used as appetite stimulants. They get the gastric juices flowing with the result that the body is expecting food for them to work on.

Though I agree it is a nice starter, I use it to Re-stimulate when another more intense note is required.

This also gives the host time to observe taste and your guest's range for alcohol.

In a singular approach, Absinthe agrees with most fattyround- fish like Salmon.

But a thoughtful cook will serve it as prelude.

This also offers a pause, to round up power serving.

In which, the host can inform guests as to the lighter yet "quick" fine points of what they consume.

Enjoy your company, making them comfortable is paramount.

Vegetarians: will like it's flavor with mushroom dishes.

Edited by MrCuisinier

And please don't ignore the role that Absinthe can play as an ingredient in cocktails you might serve during the meal as well! There are several great drinks to be had.

For the New Orleans trip I created a few absinthe-inspired (although unfortunately absinthe free) cocktails for some of the dinners down there. Since Pernod was a sponsor, we had to use regular Pernod.

Here is one designed to pair with the salad course:

Champagne Antoine

- 1 oz Beefeater gin

- 1 oz dry vermouth

- 1/8 oz Pernod

- 4 oz dry champagne

Shake gin, vermouth, pernod with ice.

Strain into a champagne flute.

Top with champagne.

Garnish with a lemon twist.

And here is one for the "Baked Alaska" desert course:

Nightwatch

- 1 ounce gin

- 1 ounce coffee liqueur

- 1/4 ounce Pernod

Shake with ice. Strain into a champagne saucer.

-Robert

Nightwatch

- 1 ounce gin

- 1 ounce coffee liqueur

- 1/4 ounce Pernod

Shake with ice. Strain into a champagne saucer.

Oh YUM!!

hmmm... Thanks for all the info. What about... JUST as a desert combo with say, oh I don't know, gourmet chocolates. I.E. After dinner/movie(play) with wife. Would the chocolate work as a blend... I have tried the two together, but... it seems to work well, but if anyone has any better ideas I would definitely like to hear them.

I don't think I'll go into detail about how my wife and I play after dinner and a movie. I will say that absinthe and chocolate work very well. :devil:

Okay, this recipe has been blasted before - but they did not try it. I make a sauce out of absinthe, raspberries, sugar and lemon juice. I cook it for a long time and jar it. I store it and serve it over peach ice cream with a proper glass of absinthe for company. It has been received in a big way. Everyone loves it. So much that I always keep this sauce jarred and in the fridge. :P

Okay, this recipe has been blasted before - but they did not try it. I make a sauce out of absinthe, raspberries, sugar and lemon juice. I cook it for a long time and jar it. I store it and serve it over peach ice cream with a proper glass of absinthe for company. It has been received in a big way. Everyone loves it. So much that I always keep this sauce jarred and in the fridge. :P

What!!! Why would you ruin raspberries like that............................................ :P