#1 plunger

plunger

Another friendly drunk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:38 PM

Modern Marvels : Distilleries 2.
Airs on Wednesday October 11 10:00 PM

It's an art. It's a science. It's a marriage of vapor and water. From the elite to the illegal, the banned, to the celebrated, the distillation of spirits is a 50 billion dollar a year business. We will visit brandy, liqueur, moonshine, and absinthe distilleries to see how this magic is done. A trip to the Christian Brothers Distillery in northern California will reveal the secrets of how brandy is made and in the Deep South we observe a working moonshine still. Then it's off to France, where we visit the Courvoisier Cognac distillery and at the Jade Absinthe Distillery we see how this controversial drink is made. Includes expert commentary and historical perspective given by Bon Appetit's Anthony Dias Blue.

I wonder when Combier changed their name...
It's not whether the glass is half empty or half full, it's whether you are pouring or drinking.

#2 shinsain

shinsain

Wormwood Society Drug Czar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:40 PM

Oh, good deal. I'll set the reminder for this on my cable box.

*trying to think of smart comment*
Nay, be what thou wilt; but I will bury him: well for me to die in doing that. I shall rest, a loved one with him whom I have loved, sinless in my crime; for I owe a longer allegiance to the dead than to the living: in that world I shall abide for ever.

#3 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:00 PM

Sounds interesting. I hope somebody will post a review, I don't see it in my local listings.

(Shin, don't hurt yourself.)

#4 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:20 PM

Can someone put it on You Tube? Apparently they don't worry about copyright, which is why they are now so rich.
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#5 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:45 AM

The only time in 30+ years that something was shown on TV that I'd be interested in watching... without commercials.

I want to learn the secrets of brandy making and see Nymphadora's moonshine still. After all, they did say they're visiting the Deep South. Who else could it be? :wave2:

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#6 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:02 AM

Appears to be worth watching.

Thanks plunger.
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#7 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,789 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:27 AM

It's on my recordings list! Looking forward to it! :cheers:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#8 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:42 AM

What network?

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#9 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:47 AM

Prolly the History Channel.

Yup

Edited by elfnmagik, 11 October 2006 - 05:47 AM.

"I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun! Very monastic." - Kosmo

#10 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,246 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:50 AM

No cable. Oh well.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#11 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:21 AM

No TV. Oh well.
Nothing is simpler than to complete pictures in a superficial sense. Never does one lie so cleverly as then. - Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec

#12 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:30 AM

I can burn a disc.

No DVD either I guess.

#13 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:34 AM

I actually have a dvd player - took it off the boat when it was sold. I just never bought a TV. Don't really watch it. I do get to watch dvd's at the BF's house though. Maybe I can get him to tape it - though he does like to help me out with my absinthe obsession.
Nothing is simpler than to complete pictures in a superficial sense. Never does one lie so cleverly as then. - Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec

#14 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:49 AM

No cable. Oh well.

Same sitcheeayshun here.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#15 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:16 AM

='Oct 11 2006, 05:50 AM' post='53937']
No cable. Oh well.

No TV. Oh well.

Same sitcheeayshun here.

I've got cable. I've got TV. But I'm living in the wrong continent (no, I'm not incontinent).

Assuming the Combier section is no more than 10 minutes, surely someone here can record it to DVD, extract and compress the Combier section on a PC, and post it on YouTube. Or even better, here.

I posted a 30 minute film of my college days at the latter a few weeks back and it worked fine for others downloading it all over the world!
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#16 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:21 AM

To heck with the Combier Distillery. I wanna see Alan's college days!

#17 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:40 AM

I actually have a dvd player - took it off the boat when it was sold. I just never bought a TV. Don't really watch it. I do get to watch dvd's at the BF's house though.

Most likely you can also watch a DVD on your computer.
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#18 Ari (Eric Litton)

Ari (Eric Litton)

Meega, nala kweesta!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:43 AM

a .wmv or .mpg of the section would be nice. (I generally stay away from .flv youtube content because it's a pain to download it in the background on my nice pokey <56k modem. )
"Oscar Wilde once traveled to an all-cat dimension and appeared on the Late-Late Show with Catman O'Brien."

#19 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:44 AM

Ummm. I guess so.....kinda slow sometimes. I actually had never even seen a DVD until this last year. They didn't have them in the part of Mexico I lived in. I was never on the internet before this year, either. Still catching on. And now you all know what an airhead I am.

#20 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:40 AM

Not an airhead, just plenty of room for information. We all started somewhere. :wave2:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#21 Wrayalien

Wrayalien

Gone Star Trekkin'

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:08 PM

:drunk: What he :thumbup: said
Don't listen to those who would water down ahhh burn up the true history of absinthe, rather research the facts to determine the significance of the Green Fairy. Those who can't do it themselves, get their kicks trying to undermine those who can.

#22 Nymphadora

Nymphadora

Very silly. Very silly indeed.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:26 PM

The only time in 30+ years that something was shown on TV that I'd be interested in watching... without commercials.

I want to learn the secrets of brandy making and see Nymphadora's moonshine still. After all, they did say they're visiting the Deep South. Who else could it be? :wave2:

I don't have a still, but I have a few critters and a cement pond. Woo doggees!

Edited by Nymphadora, 11 October 2006 - 03:30 PM.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

#23 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:50 PM

You're going to have some conflict with Hissy-Mae on that. And please Nymph, promise you won't get involved in the Evil Avatar™ scheme. I just don't know if I can take the sight of Stroller with your buxom...

nevermind.

#24 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:40 PM

Well it must be someone else who has a fancy man catcher. :cheers:

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#25 shinsain

shinsain

Wormwood Society Drug Czar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:46 PM

Hmm, well, not a bad piece at all. It was about a quarter or a little bit more devoted to absinthe. More specifically, TAB, but they got Combier in there in tandem with that. No worries though. They basically repeated the sentiment of WS and TAB in general (i.e. that absinthe is *not* the devil and the laws in the US are kooky), so I'm happy.

Besides, who cares who's doing the spokespersin-ing as long as the message is getting across. And Ted's a clean cut guy. I'm sure people buy what he says, no like those moonshiners they had on. No one takes hill-billies seriously...

Aaron
Nay, be what thou wilt; but I will bury him: well for me to die in doing that. I shall rest, a loved one with him whom I have loved, sinless in my crime; for I owe a longer allegiance to the dead than to the living: in that world I shall abide for ever.

#26 AndrewT

AndrewT

Dances With Livers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:58 PM

I love how everyone was tagged as an "ex-moonshiner", despite the fact that they show them a non-functioning still specifically to avoid showing the functioning ones.
-Andrew Thompson

#27 Papa H

Papa H

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:31 PM

Being a North Carolinian, I have to wonder if you couldn't make absinthe using "shine" as the base. Seems like the Great Smokey Mountains might be a good place to grow alpine herbs.
On another note, if the FDA restricts the importation of foodstuff containing thujone, then why can we buy imported Albanian sage and French Thyme?
Anyone for a few knife tricks?

#28 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:45 PM

My confidence that someone else will have a fairer, more accurate, academic answer allows me to say "because the FDA are a bunch of nitwits."

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#29 Nymphadora

Nymphadora

Very silly. Very silly indeed.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:54 PM

You're going to have some conflict with Hissy-Mae on that. And please Nymph, promise you won't get involved in the Evil Avatar™ scheme. I just don't know if I can take the sight of Stroller with your buxom...

nevermind.

Damn! I was hoping to exploit any cross dressing tendencies.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

#30 Ari (Eric Litton)

Ari (Eric Litton)

Meega, nala kweesta!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:02 PM

Peridot hit it on the head. :)
The FDA bans finished food with thujone from a select set of herbs. So the herbs themselves or finished foods that contain thujone but not the select herbs are fine. Without any specific levels I bet you could import a sage liquor with enough tbones to send you into seizure heaven after a shot, but absinthe containing wormwood and a drop of thujone is evil, dangerous and not allowed.

To be fair to the FDA the law was on the books before they existed, they just converted an old law and never looked back.
"Oscar Wilde once traveled to an all-cat dimension and appeared on the Late-Late Show with Catman O'Brien."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association