Brian Robinson

Cigar follow up

There have been several threads recently regarding forays into the realm of cigar smoking. However, I didn't see any follow-ups about which cigars were chosen and how they were received. Any updates yet?

Edited by Shabba53

Sorry, I have yet to go and make a purchase. I was kind of hoping to have a smoke with friends, but I don't seem to have any friends, full stop.

Well... Friends who want to smoke cigars, I guess I could say.

I usually prefer a Lonsdale size,handmade/hand rolled because they aren't too big and usually have a better draw. I also prefer a tan leaf (Connecticut?) to a Maduro because of the flavor, green makes me ill. My favorite brand is Monte Cristo and I really like their Tubos. Their Dominican Republic cigars taste as good as their same name Cuban counterparts.

Gosh, the holidays come early at your house. Can't wait to see what the coming days will bring. You're a lucky guy, Shabba, enjoy.

What's wrong with a little butt crack? :blink:

Nothing, butt if you smoke it, you must light it on fire.

I hope you at least pour in a little absinth first.

The burning/burnt/bitter taste normally comes from either a poorly lit cigar or from one that is too hot (i.e. being smoked too quickly). Both problems can be fixed fairly easily.

I've been a cigar lover for years. Since moving to DC, I've also really gotten into shisha and smoking hookas at the middle eastern restaurants near my home. I wonder, would pipe tobacco work in a hookah?

I've been a cigar lover for years. Since moving to DC, I've also really gotten into shisha and smoking hookas at the middle eastern restaurants near my home. I wonder, would pipe tobacco work in a hookah?

I don't think so. Middle eastern tobaccos seem to be very different from regular pipe tobaccos.

I don't think it would work because pipe tobacco lacks the moisture that shisha has. You would probably end up with smoldering pipe tobacco and a very harsh draw.

A lot of it depends on whether or not you inhale the pipe smoke, or rather draw it in. I personally enjoy drawing the pipe smoke in just to get the flavor of the tobacco; which is interesting because I inhale the hookah smoke. It's all really a matter of personal taste.

Here in Denver there is a hand rolled cigar, Palmas, made by Clay Carlton (http://www.palmacigars.com/). It is the finest and best cigar I purchased in US. Does anyone know of any other handmade cigar available to purchase by mail ?

Thanks,

- Marcelo