elric13

Onward into the fog...

Top o' the morning!!!

OK, here's how the last 24 hours went:

Yesterday morning, a fellow drunkard at work came to me with the proclamation:

"I'm gonna get some absinthe, have you heard about it?" He then proceeds with the Pulp Fiction explanation: "It's illegal to buy it, it's illegal to sell it, but if you happen to OWN it, it's OK to drink it!"

Needless to say, that perked up my interest... and other than some Art Nuveau posters, nothing special came to mind.

So, instead of actually working at work, I spent the day pounding across the 'net (hence, my eventual arrival here) and becoming more & more intrigued. So, by end of 'work' day, I was happy to inform my fellow drunkard that, "I'm in. Who, what, when, where, how are my only remaining questions."

Thanks to my diligent research, we decided on the Un Emile 68 and Verte de Fougerolles 72 combo from LDF. Now, of course, will be the insane delay awaiting arrival (so, other than this post, I may return to Lurksville until I can start spouting off on the experience).

And of course, due to my occasionally overzealous imagination, I spent the entire night dreaming all about it. Baroque spoons with dissolving sugar... drip-drip-drips of ice water from ornate fountains... Van Gogh asking if he could borrow my scissors... The entire night was a lot like being Gregory Peck in Spellbound, without Ingrid Bergman mooning over me (which is another image altogether).

Ah, but still... questions, question, questions. If any of them are verboten in the open forum, a quick bitchslap to me and we can all move on...

Immediate question that comes to mind: what is all this 'courier' crap? Should I pay these usurious prices to have some some guy wearing ray-bans show up at my door at 2AM with something in a plain brown wrapper demanding that I "sign zee receipt"??? What are the odds of just ordering the stuff in a normal fashion and having it actually reach my door unmolested? Experience is all: tell me yours. I may be an effite connoisseur wannabe, but I'm also a cheap prick.

Followup question: We went with LDF on this deal. But who is the overall best vender, has best selection, has best prices? I've read something of the infamous 'Betty' and (being a cheap prick) wish to avoid being burned on inferior products/services.

Next (rather obvious) question: "If you were stuck being a contestant on Survivor and you could bring only 3 bottles of Material (non-vintage), they would be..." Your answer here:

Question-thats-sorta-not-a-question: HG. I guess I'll just have to wait and hope for a get-together with one or more of you folks to learn (read: taste) more.

Hmmm... that should do it for THIS morning.

While I live in the N CA area, as time & opportunity permits (and if invited), I would enjoy taking a roadtrip up your way and enjoy all the little pleasures the Seattle area has to offer.

In the meantime, I must "Hurry up & wait!" :dribble:

Great to be aboard!!! (geez, I hope this absinthe stuff doesn't taste like crap!!!)

Hello and Welcome! :drunk:

Good choice of Vendors. LDF is pretty much known as the safest and most reliable Vendor. I believe they guarantee your delivery, so I wouldn't worry about it. One of the LDF guys is even a member here at this forum.

As far as shipping, we generally do NOT discuss shipping on these public forums because they can be viewed by law enforcement (customs, ATF, etc.) The "courier" that will deliver to your door, is basically just a standard delivery person. They work for a standard delivery company. They will show up during normal delivery times.

If I had to choose 3 bottles of modern day commercial bottles, I'd choose 2 bottles of Jade VS, one bottle of Swiss LB. 'Nuff said.

He's just being realistic. If you go into it expecting just booze, you'll be pleasantly surprised; if you go into it expecting drugs, you'll be sorely disappointed.

Anyway, welcome here.

Vendors: stick with the "big four" on the vendors page here.

Survivor: One Jade VS, one Swiss LB and one François Guy. If HG, one Pontarlier style, one Besançon and one Nimes.

HG's. Yes, you will I'm afraid.

Welcome from another Northern Californian.

As far as cost there really isn't much difference in shipping. It is worth it to make sure your order gets here quickly and all together (and LDF is fast). It really wouldn't cost you much less to ship it yourself (ignoring the airline fees of going to france and back).

When an artist cuts off his ear he is called excentric, when a boxer helps someone remove their ear, he is called crazy. :)

Oh, and Absinthe isn't going to make you want to cut off your ear, it's basically just booze.

Please don't destroy the romance before my first louche!!! ;)

mmmmmm....yeah,sorry. he's right,...its just booze,but its really good booze. :D

I would describe the sensation as a much more upbeat n clearer headed 'drunk' than your normal alcohol induced buzz. but if your caught up in the folklore and looking to absinthe to make you 'trip' you'll be sorely disappointed.

.....but its still fun! :drunk:

mmmmmm....yeah,sorry. he's right,...its just booze,but its really good booze. :D

I would describe the sensation as a much more upbeat n clearer headed 'drunk' than your normal alcohol induced buzz. but if your caught up in the folklore and looking to absinthe to make you 'trip' you'll be sorely disappointed.

.....but its still fun! :drunk:

I know, I know... poor attempt at humor. No, I'm a research freakazoid, so it was quickly obvious that any 'special' effects (breathing walls, etc.) was bunk (unless you experience such things during your booze-buzz anyway).

I just love to give a try of anything interesting, and I see no reason not to enjoy the 'best of.' Coffee being an example: recently paid $57, delivered, for 2lb of the award winner of the Kona Cupping Competition for this year. And, if I may say, a damn fine cup of coffee it is.

I feel the same about going into the absinthe experience: I've read on other forums that folks should try the crap in order to better enjoy the excellent. To that I say, "HAR!" If I can get Kona Estate grown, why bother with Chock-Full-O-Nuts??? Just so I can officially say, "Yep, that Czech stuff is crap!"??? Nah, give me the good doo-doo, I'll try to live with the lack of knowledge. :D

Questions, questions:

To sugar or not to sugar, that is a question. Any special reason for yes? Any special reason for no? All depends on brand? Naturally, I'll try both, but I'm always curious. Any good brand that is better sugered than not? And vice versa?

I just love to give a try of anything interesting, and I see no reason not to enjoy the 'best of.'  Coffee being an example: recently paid $57, delivered, for 2lb of the award winner of the Kona Cupping Competition for this year.  And, if I may say, a damn fine cup of coffee it is.

oh man i miss that kinda stuff........i had a friend in the islands for some time who would just send me killer coffee,for no other reason other than we were just buds,...and she wanted me to try that stuff. now she lives back here in washington. i keep tellin her she needs to go back :D

About the ongoing sugar debate...

If you generally don't like sweets, then you probably won't like to sugar. Sugar adds texture, however.

I've noticed that people that don't sugar tend to dilute their drinks more, while people who sugar drink it stronger.

I like a strong sweet Absinthe, myself.

i keep tellin her she needs to go back
Some friend you are! ;)

elric13, sugar is entirely a matter of taste. I almost always use it; I feel it complements a lot of the herbal flavor and improves the "mouth feel" which would otherwise be a bit astringent for my tastes. Others, G&C and Conju for instance, never use it. Try it both ways with a number of absinthes and figure out what you like.

Since you're a coffee nut, do you drink your coffee with sugar? If not, then I doubt you'll like your absinthe with sugar either. I suggest trying your first glass without, and then your 2nd glass with, and decide what works best for you.

As a side note, makes sure and shake VDF vigorously before each pour. Their method of filtration leaves some sediment, and the flavour can be wildly inconsistent if you don't shake it. The same applies for the Jade products, which I think are far superior to any other commercial brand.

Welcome, from another Northern Californian :cheers:

I lived in Davis for a couple of years, a couple of years ago. Got my Bachelors degree, now I'm in Roseville. Hope you enjoy the Absinthe, since you went with LdF you'll probably get it in about 3-4 days.

I wouldn't "shake it vigorously" but it would suffice to turn it back and forth a few times. I actually decanted the VS off the crap in the bottom because it disturbs me. I tasted it both ways and couldn't tell the difference. Even the last drink, with the dregs, didn't taste any different. It just had "floaties".

Welcome!

I am fairly new here also, and my first choice was also the UE68 and VdF combo from LdF. I got it in about 4 days. Personally, I still like the VdF better, but I had no clue about shaking it until you, Gatsby. I'll try that tonight, and also give the UE a go. I like them both 1:3 dilluted with no sugar. I think that the Fou has enough sweetness at the finish to hold its own.

~sand

There you have it. ;)

Oh, elric13, you need to remove that stroke from the first quote tag up there.  Code sticking out in posts is a pet peeve of mine.  Thanks.

Purely poor editing on my part. I've seldom been interested in forums in general, so I'm still learning the tweaks & tuning. Just had to find a forum I could get into!!!

So please bear with me whilst I get up to speed.

So, if your that kinda picky about code, I guess a sig with "Hill's Rules!!!" would just be over the top altogether...??? :poke:

I'm leaning towards no sugar but it does change the taste and feel enough that I don't think I will ever be anti-sugar. Absinthe is a pretty complex drink and there are so many different ways to slightly change the flavor you can keep it from getting old. Learning the taste of different absinthes can help bring out the flavors. When I first tried VdF it was good but not great compared to the BdF, but after drinking the B for awhile I went back to the V and I found flavors in it I didn't notice before and it upped my impression of it.

Since you're a coffee nut, do you drink your coffee with sugar?  If not, then I doubt you'll like your absinthe with sugar either.  I suggest trying your first glass without, and then your 2nd glass with, and decide what works best for you.

As a side note, makes sure and shake VDF vigorously before each pour.  Their method of filtration leaves some sediment, and the flavour can be wildly inconsistent if you don't shake it.  The same applies for the Jade products, which I think are far superior to any other commercial brand.

Adulterate excellent coffee with ANYTHING??? Bite that tongue!!!

Thanks for the 'Shaken and Stirred (if using sugar)' advice, good to know. There are some boozes out there, the LAST thing you want to do is drink that stuff that's on the bottom. To me, it makes sense to get a taste of the herbal(?) goodies in the bottle.

Didn't see my drunkard working companion for the first part of the day, so when I saw him, naturally, I asked what time he placed the order last night. That sadsack so-n-so started whining about how last night was his first night back at school, yada-yada-yada... after beating him severely about the neck and shoulders, I placed the order myself about 2 hours ago. A full day delay, all in the name of 'education'... sigh. What am I gonna do with these youngsters anyways?!?!?!?

Speaking of orders... any thoughts on the 2nd LDF combo they list which comes with the Verte de Fougerolles 72 listed in the 1st offer plus a bottle of Blanche de Fougerolles 74? Un Emile 68 vs. Blanche de Fougerolles 74? Thoughts? Opinions? Tell me to shut-the-f***-up until I've sampled my first louche, no matter the Material???

I know, I know... I'm getting 'way ahead of myself. Sometimes being a research freakazoid can weary others.

On the upside, I've already seen 2 other N CA brethren... which, counting me & my drunken work companion SEEMS to create an almost perfect fountain gathering... (just thinking out loud here).

So, Hiram, still waffling on opening affiliate branches of TWS??? Y'know, do this like the Hell's Angels, you get first pick of the booze & the women, we pay you tribute bottles, we get issued official 'colors' for the backs of our tux's, etc etc???

:punk:

My advice is to skip the UE68. I'd skip all UEs, actually. The VDF ain't that grate, the BDF is much betterer, but the Jades are the best out of all that is offered at LDF. They are worth the price difference.

If'n it's not too latge, drop that Un Emile out of your order. It's not worth what you pay for it anymore. Get a bottle of the blanche de Fougerolles, instead.

If'n it's not too latge, drop that Un Emile out of your order. It's not worth what you pay for it anymore. Get a bottle of the blanche de Fougerolles, instead.

Well, poot. Since this is my 1st order with this overseas supplier, I'd prefer to let it ride. I hate to get a new outfit (that I'm dealing with) riled, when, on my very 1st order, I do a "Nonono, not THAT one, I meant THAT one." At least it wasn't a vintage Czech Absinth or a case of Hill's??? The NEXT order, I will tend to follow board advice. Well, except for the Hiram/Jack debate over that French Guy stuff... I don't know WHERE to go with that one! Not to mention, let's face it, the Un Emile 68 review is STILL forthcoming on the WS.org website! C'mon, folks, keep up for the newbies!

I'll (unofficially) review the UE 68: Heavily anise, somewhat sweet, very little louche, somewhat buttery mouthfeel; not a bad beginner's absinthe (I started with it), I'd say it's among the better ones, but if you're grading on a curve, the Jades screw it right to the wall. You'll probably enjoy it, but not buy another bottle after you've compared it to some of the blanches or Jades.