shinsain

I saved a guy from ingesting Wormwood oil yesterday...

Here, I thought I'd post the PM chain attached to this thread for your enjoyment...

(User "Gyradose")

This is what I ordered

http://www.phytoextractum.com/index.php?ma...;products_id=37

They claim this to be one of their featured products. Will it really do absolutely nothing?? Would you even say this entire site may be a fake?

(Me...)

No, that sadly will not do anything to you.

The site doesn't look like a scam, however, so I wouldn't worry too much.

That is the extract of Artemesia Absinthium. A.A. as it is commonly known to absinthe afficianados is one of the plants used to make the alcoholic drink absinthe. However, AA has in it a compound called Thujone, which in larger quantities or when taken as an extract (which I'm pretty sure is what you ordered) is a convulsant and can cause renal failure. There have actually been cases of people buying extracts like this specifically to get high. In fact, the last one I can think of was in Mass. and the guy lived, but barely.

So in concluion, no...this will not get you high. And is in fact VERY dangerous to ingest. DO NOT ingest this.

There are other varieties of Artemesia species called "wormwood" sometimes as well, but they are thujone free, or virtually so.

Hope this helps,

(Gyradose)

Well thanks for the help. This seems to be a popular product of theirs though. Like... why are they selling it and what is the purpose of it then? I don't understand...

(Me...)

Well, in folk medicine a tonic of wormwood and other things (called "Absinthe" after the species of the plant, A. Absinthium) was said to help stomach troubles. From there, it gained popularity as a drink and the French people ate it up around the turn of the century. There were rumors that it would "get you high" and make you "crazed" and make you "hallucinate" which were partially true. You don't do any of that from the alcoholic drink...it would normally happen because of certain metals added to turn cheap varieties a deep green because people expected it to be that color. These adulterants were the cause of all the drink's toxicity.

The thing is that when wormwood is distilled (like in an alcoholic drink) the thujone level is effectively nill, but when taken in "extract" or "essential oil" form, it is most definitely there.

So the thing is that people are just trying to capitalize on absinthe's history...that's why they sell this crap.

Pretty lame, huh?

(Gyradose)

So, is there such thing as real absinthe??

What do you think I should do with this when I recieve it then? The order has been made. If I sell, that would be dangerous for whoever else takes it though right? (not that I care haha)

(Me...)

Yeah, there is a real drink called absinthe. It was banned for a long time, but that ban has been repealed in most of the Eurpoean Union so there is good stuff out there now. It is expensive though, and is only at best a really COOL drunk. Not necessarily something one would think of as a psychoactive. But it can put you in some pretty weird mindstates, I won't lie. But then you come back to the price. For a good bottle, it is expensive.

As for the oil...you could sell it on ebay. I mean, one can never be sure of a person's intentions when they buy it. So there's no way to know if they'll get hurt. I mean, the possibility is there, but the possibility is there with bleach too. I would say much fewer people buy that kind of stuff to get jacked up on, so you're probably ok. Other than that, I don't even know what you'd use it for. Luckily for you it was only 8 bucks...

Huffing paint leaves that pesky gold or silver paint all over your face, so I've been told.

The morning glory seeds and so forth were always in ads in High Times but I just couldn't make myself try them.

;)

Interesting.

I have a hell of a time with morning glory every year in my garden. They grow wild around here and are very difficult to control, much less eliminate.

I read about the seeds previously but never was inclined.

Now mushrooms were a different story (about 30 years ago).

I don't recommend them any more.

Like... why are they selling it and what is the purpose of it then? I don't understand...

Like... I mean Oh my God.. Like.. whatever. You know... I mean, like... hello. As if!

I just couldn't resist that!

I wanted to...but was afraid of coming off as a dick, for fear he might not take my advice seriously.

Now mushrooms were a different story (about 30 years ago).

I don't recommend them any more

Jeez..........I was so stupid in college! Trespassing on a gun totin' farmer's lands, stomping amidst cow patties with a flashlight at 2 AM, spooking a nervous horse and keeping an eye out for the bull. What the hell was I thinking?!

Eating cow crap is gross; eating a fungus that grows on it is even worse...I hav'nt done it in ten years or so.

And :cheers: to ya Shin for being a good guy about all of that.

Jeez..........I was so stupid in college! Trespassing on a gun totin' farmer's lands, stomping amidst cow patties with a flashlight at 2 AM, spooking a nervous horse and keeping an eye out for the bull. What the hell was I thinking?!

We used to do it during the day. Which can have unfortunate consequences. I used to take my Border Collie as an excuse for if the farmer ever came along. "Just walking the dog mate, oh is this private land?...I didn't realize...... What's in the carrier bag? well err... "

One day the farmer did come along, and he had a dog too, a MUCH bigger one, an enormous German Shepherd that looked like it had a part time job guarding scrapyards. It just charged straight up, took my Collie by the throat, and began to tear at his windpipe. If I hadn't done something quick he would have been dead. The farmer was just standing there looking amused. So I jumped on the back of the beast and began punching it in the head, the full knuckle in the eye treatment. It let go, more from irritation than pain I think, and ran a few steps back to its master. Me and the farmer had words. Needless to say I never took the dog with me on future harvests. Lesson learned.

In America you could have filed a lawsuit against the farmer for his dog attacking yours, while you were trespassing on his land...hell, you'd have won too!!!

Good job on that though. I always figured I'd do the same if attacked by a roving mongrel.

Aaron

In America you could have filed a lawsuit against the farmer for his dog attacking yours, while you were trespassing on his land...hell, you'd have won too!!!

Good job on that though. I always figured I'd do the same if attacked by a roving mongrel.

Aaron

Is there a moratorium on these things? If not I'm gonna go back and sue his ass!

As for the dog, I didn't even think about consequences. But I had straddled its back and grabbed the fur of its neck tight with one hand, while letting fly with the other. There wasn't a lot it could do to me from that position. Now if it had come back for another go, from the front, I could have been in trouble!

The dog was doing its job and protecting his territory. The farmer is the asshole for not putting a stop to it. Sorry about your Collie. He was an innocent bystander.

He recovered OK. Just lots of slime around the neck and a few bruises.

Yeah, I don't have an argument with the dog, well I did have an argument with him, but he was behaving instinctively and so was I.

Moral of the story, don't go picking mushrooms on private farmland. But if you do, don't take the pooch.

30+ years ago I was in the NAVY. I worked night shift and would ride my motorcycle to and from work. I carried a camera bag and camera with me. On the way home in the morning I would stop at a convenient cow pasture and "take Pictures".

No one ever seemed to care.

So, is there such thing as real absinthe??

For some reason, I picture some doe-eyed kid in red pajamas asking this question.

YIPEEEE!!!

A ZEPPELIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

They can be very unpredictable.

Unpredictable as in the amount you need or as in causing undesirable side effects.

Mushrroms were pretty predictable as to serving size, but could produce some nasty side effects. The most notable (and why I quit) was a very short blackout followed by a brief period in which the effected person would regain concousness, but have all memory wiped clean. This had a great potential for inducing real fear in a person.

Who am I?

Where am I?

Who are all these people?

Oh, yea....

Whoa! That sucked!

Do any of you actually go mushrooming for the ones that taste good, and not just for amazing secondaries? My wife has become quite a knowledgable mushroom gatherer. It's practically a national past-time here. The forests are loaded with people with baskets when the weather breaks right.

They can be very unpredictable.

Unpredictable as in the amount you need or as in causing undesirable side effects.

Mushrroms were pretty predictable as to serving size, but could produce some nasty side effects. The most notable (and why I quit) was a very short blackout followed by a brief period in which the effected person would regain concousness, but have all memory wiped clean. This had a great potential for inducing real fear in a person.

Who am I?

Where am I?

Who are all these people?

Oh, yea....

Whoa! That sucked!

That happened once. ONCE. No more fungus for me.

Do any of you actually go mushrooming for the ones that taste good, and not just for amazing secondaries? My wife has become quite a knowledgable mushroom gatherer. It's practically a national past-time here. The forests are loaded with people with baskets when the weather breaks right.

The Morels are supposed to be fantastic around here in the spring. There are classes on picking mushrooms in the spring, but I have never gotten around to taking it. From what I have read, there are no false morels in t his area and I should be safe picking them but I'd rather wait till I can go with someone with experience.