Sign in to follow this  
newtothegreenhour

Alandia's Strong68

Well it feels like years (might actually be) since I posted. 4 Gallery openings a 5 page paper, a Masonic invitation, and a new computer later and I'm back. So I was browsing Alandia and found the buyersguide special. It has a bunch of nice little extra doo dads that I'd like to add to my houre verte but I want to know if the Absinthe is worth drinking or if I'd be better off buying the cool toys without the happy meal. As always thanks for the suggestions

I have to come to Alandia's defense on the toys issue.

Alandia has created, on their own, several very high-quality pieces of absinthiana that deserve some credit. They've made some reproductions of antique absinthe spoons that are exceptional. The quality of the silver-plated swiss cross spoons they make is instantly obvious when you pick it up in your hand, and ( I hate to say this ) much nicer than the frenchman spoons, even his silver-plated ones.

They've created a reproduction of the mythical "1889 Tour Eiffel" spoon, which nobody else bothered with, and the quality of that is fantastic.

The prices of these spoons is very high, probably too high for most people's taste, but when you consider the cost of producing something unique at that level of quality, for such a tiny market (especially since the US absinthe market seems to ignore them) I'm not surprised at the cost.

However they also make what they call an "Antique" absinthe spoon repro, which is not as expensive. This thing looks and feels exactly like a hundred year old spoon, of a commonplace design. You have to see it to understand. I was impressed.

They've created a line of unique, but historically consistent absinthe glasses, and at least one, pictured below, is unbelievably beautiful, and functional.

Alandia also carries a wide assortment of fountains and glasses from other sources that are available nowhere else.

I guess I understand people's instinctive hatred of Alandia, because of their manufacture and support of thujone-hyped products. There's been a lot of discussion over at FV lately on the ethics of that kind of marketing. But bear in mind also that Alandia has commissioned Deep Forrest ( Eichelberger recipe designer and WS member) to help create their own attempt at a high-quality distilled product, Maison Alandia, which nobody is willing to try because it's from Alandia.

While I understand the dogmatic, knee-jerk rejection of all things that come from a company that pushes thujone hype, I also think that quite a few babies are being thrown out with the bathwater. I think Alandia has gone a long way to contribute to absinthe culture, and the fact that they also make and market products that we disapprove of doesn't negate their other contributions.

Perhaps if they had a marketing representative that spoke english, and was trying to work with us here the way Alan Moss has on the similar issues we have with eAbsinthe, they'd be cut a little more slack.

170644206_748f889e13_m.jpg

For the record: I don't hate Alandia, I just strongly disapprove of their business strategy.

I agree with a lot of what you said about the accessories. It's a shame they sell so much crap absinthe, or I would have picked up some of those glasses a long time ago. But that's the way the market works: vote with your dollar. If, as the public becomes increasingly aware of the difference between crapsinth and absinthe, they see their sales in that area dwindling, maybe they'll see the light.

I've been following the discussion at FV, and I disagree that the public can't be educated. I'm tired of watching predatory snake oil salesmen taking advantage of the gullible and uninformed. These guys seem to think "Caveat Emptor" is a legitimate business model, not a cautionary axiom.

I agree with Hiram.

I think in the absintheur world Alandia has reaped what they sowed. They market away from connoisseurs and create "strong" products and other poor quality stuff, I don't doubt many would be unwilling to try a new product commissioned only for Alandia. If I knew they would spend my money towards more good absinthe and toys and not crap I might give them a shot. But, if I'm going to pay high prices for absinthe, it might as well go to getting me more good absinthe. :)

Oh and that is a very nice glass. The "toys" remark was more towards someone who was looking at Alandia strong as a possible buy.

I've been following the discussion at FV, and I disagree that the public can't be educated. I'm tired of watching predatory snake oil salesmen taking advantage of the gullible and uninformed. These guys seem to think "Caveat Emptor" is a legitimate business model, not a cautionary axiom.

Well said Hiram

But bear in mind also that Alandia has commissioned Deep Forrest ( Eichelberger recipe designer and WS member) to help create their own attempt at a high-quality distilled product, Maison Alandia, which nobody is willing to try because it's from Alandia.

Let's just say that the Eichelberger Limitee is better.

Well, if we get a business rep willing to talk to us...I speak German. I may not know French, but I can sprechen some Deutsch (no, seriously, I really do).

Not that it matters, however, as I don't think Alandia is worried about being on the WS recommended vendor list or changing their business model in any way, shape, or form. They were the first site I stumbled upon when I first got interested in absinthe and I almost fell for the crap they peddle. Thank God it's so expensive and I'm so cheap or I'd be burning shots of Hills right now probably.

Aaron

Alandia has changed already, they're less 'thujone' and less 'flaming' than they were before, they even changed their logo to remove the flame over the sugar cube.

I think they're going in the right direction, step by step.

And after all, it's all about business! Their objective is to make money, not to be good parents and take care of your children.

Are you complaining after your local grocery or your local liquor store because he is selling shitty wines and shitty whiskies ?

Well I would complain if they sold me turnip juice as wine and tacked on a story of it being based on a 100 year old sacred monk recipe when really Billy-McRainbow wanted something to do with his turnip farm so he created a fake product with a fake story to sell at premium wine prices. :)

When it becomes profitable to market the truth it will be fun to see all the shysters come out and say they were always for proper education.

But when/if truth and money are friends (which they can easily be, afterall marketing is just spin, you can spin the truth just as much as you can spin a lie) I bet you will see people who used to market BS come out as being serious supporters of truth.

Yep....sho nuff.

We get the point that it's about money, not truth. But it's not too much to ask for that people be more truthful and less profitable (possibly being MORE profitable as an outcome anyway), is it?

This isn't even false advertising, however, this is straight up, bold faced lies. I mean the difference between selling crappy whiskey and wine doesn't quite compare to this, as even crappy whiskey and wine are still whiskey and wine. What the Crapsinth producers tout isn't even absinthe in its most infintile form. If a store sold orange juice and labeled it as whiskey, I'd be just as outraged.

That simply comes from lack of proper food and drug administration in more than one country though, knowing they haven't laid down standards on absinthe yet every other alcoholic beverage is heavily regulated to make sure what they're selling is true to name.

Anyway, we could go on about this for days.

The fact still remains: Alandia may (or may not) be moving in the right direction but it is still a safer bet to take our dollars and loyalty elsewhere for the time being. This may change, but it hasn't yet.

Edited by shinsain

The fact still remains: Alandia may (or may not) be moving in the right direction but it is still a safer bet to take our dollars and loyalty elsewhere for the time being. This may change, but it hasn't yet.

Very, very true.

I mean the difference between selling crappy whiskey and wine doesn't quite compare to this, as even crappy whiskey and wine are still whiskey and wine.

hmm, don't say that in front of any wine or whiskey aficionados or you'll get into troubles for sure...

Anyway, I never wanted to defend Alandia's business, I have no stock option in the company.

I'm just saying that they run a business and this is one way of running it, right or wrong, this is still a business way.

Agreed. And I was simply trying to point out that were this something more akin to selling Military Special Whiskey as 30 year old Redbreast or Jameson I might still be outraged, but at least it's still made out of the same stuff...it has to be. Whereas half the time Crapsinth isn't even distilled, let alone made with the correct ingredients to be absinthe. Hell, Alandia et. al. might as well market Hills or [insert crappy Czechsinth here] as 30 year old Redbreast....it would be as rediculus as marketing it as absinthe to me!

(On that note, I had a chance to taste a shot of [i believe it was] 30 year aged Redbreast once at a buddie's wedding reception and it was amazing...although it could have been another brand, I can't remember).

Aaron