morrow

Choice of 3 - Need Help Please!

Hello,

I'm fairly new to absinthe but my fiancee and I are definitely excited to try this mystical drink.

I went to the LCBO (here in Canada, that is the liquor store), and they had 3 different types of Absinthe. I'm hoping that someone on here can help guide us to which is the best one. Our choices are:

1. Absente: http://www.crillonimporters.com/Absente/absente-about.htm

- this one comes with a spoon, and is the cheapest, but it says they've changed the recipe - so to me, it really isn't *true* absinthe. But that spoon is mighty tempting! ;)

2. Pernod Absinthe: http://www.absinthebuyersguide.com/pernod_absinthe.html

- this one is second in the price structure, and is just the drink - no spoon

3. Hill's Absinth: http://hillsabsinth.com

- this was a couple dollars more than the Pernod but again, we're new so we're not sure if there is a huge difference with either of them - again, no spoon, just the drink

Also, if Pernod or Hill's are recommended, if anyone knows where to get the proper Absinthe glass and spoon here in Canada (Toronto area) it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much for all your help :)

Absente's probably your best bet. None of the three are very good, but Absente at least comes close, even without the wormwood. Next in line would be Pernod. Don't even bother with Hills.

Welcome.

I would suggest looking over the site, such as the reviews and FAQ.

Absente - is a pastis, not horrible but not really absinthe.

Pernod - Absinthe but uses a lot of inferior star anise and no green anise.

Hills - Not absinthe in the slightest.

Do a search on canada to find out more information.

What they said. Skip the LCBO, you'll be paying way too much money for something not worth paying for in the first place. Instead, go to Fine Spirits Corner and order a bottle (or 3) of Duplais. Then you'll have yourself some real, and high-quality absinthe.

Edited by Stomp Brockmore

wow! thanks so much for all the help!

very informative stuff here - i've been browsing some of the threads...

i think we're gonna go with the Pernod Absinthe...

the Absente just doesn't seem like a very good one at all, and after reading about avoiding Czech brands, Hill's is out...

but i'm seriously considering importing a top brand to try...

I'll let you know how our first experience goes - thanks again :cheers:

Hi Morrow,

I'm in Victoria. I have been on an absinthe journey this summer and with the help of the forum and internet searching, have come up with what hope is a workable system for Canada-dwellers to obtain good absinthe.

I've tried Absente and will not do it again. I don't buy Pernod in Canada. I have a bottle of Hill's in the cupboard and can't bear to have another taste. I went the "CzechRoute" and was ripped off for $200USD a bottle for King of Spirits Gold - don't bother. The easiest and decent quality to obtain in CA is La Fée from a distibutor in Halifax (http://www.lafeeabsinthe.com/docs/canada.php). If you wish to order online, The Absinthe Spoon (http://www.absinthespoon.com/absinthe_frenchabsinthe.html) offers a decent but limited selection. Also, Fine Spirits Corner in Spain (http://www.spiritscorner.com/) will ship to Canada - I just ordered from them and used Paypal. The final option is to order from distributors that ship to the US and pick it up if you are down. I had Lion ship to Seattle and Boston for me. There are numerous discussions among members about the best absinthes and while opinions are opinions, certain names do reoccur. As I am new to all this, I am anxious to try the ones I had sent to the US such as Jade, Duplais, François Guy, Un Emile. I can tell yo that after sampling the real thing, I will not go back to Hill's or others available through the liquor stores. I found an antique French spoon at a sliver antiques store and got my Pontalier glasses from Absinthe Frenchman. I'm using Debarra sugar and the whole ritual and effect is magic! I hope these remarks from a novice will help and that I don't get 'burned' in the forum...

Alexander Dunn

:cheers:

Edited by Hiram

That was very good advice, Alexander. We'll let you live one more day. ;)

Folks in BC (and Alberta) have always been very kind to us. Nice country you got there. :cheers:

Edited by Theatre73

That was very good advice, Alexander. We'll let you live one more day. ;)

Folks in BC (and Alberta) have always been very kind to us. Nice country you got there. :cheers:

Thanks Theatre - i like Canada very much even though I'm originally from So California

B)

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the help - much appreciated! I might try the Canadian company in Halifax but I might just go the opposite route and get it from Spain. What about Europe? Will they not ship to Canada? Also - does customs nail you with taxes and fees when you import from Fine Spirits?

From what I've gathered just by searching the forums - the Absinthe at the LCBO here is crap and that the real stuff is from the specialty stores. I think for our first time we will probably not get as great an experience as we are hoping for but a couple friends are helping out with the $80 bottle of Pernod so I don't have to pay for the whole thing! :P

Thanks again Alex :)

Sorry for this misunderstanding. I joined the Yahoo group and I also purchased two botles of La Fée! The two are not related to each other in any manner. Sorry to Alan Moss also. Oh dear, as a new participant of this forum, I've unintentionally started a vicious rumour.

:(

well we tried it....

and loved it! even if Pernod is a terrible Absinthe ;)

we are now looking to try some better brands but from Alexander's other thread it looks like customs is cracking down here in Canada...

Congrats :cheers:

Pernod 68 isn't terrible liquor. It's near the bottom of the acceptable absinthe list, but it's still drinkable booze, and it beats the hell out of what the college kids are shooting on a dare at their "absinth parties".

One day, you'll get something better, and that's when you'll have trouble going back to the Pernod.

Edited by Wild Bill Turkey

I still have Pernod 68 around. I put it below LaFee on taste but I still love the bottle and color. Probably the most "authentic-looking" color absinthe I have right now. I've always found it to be an ok absinthe (for an oil mix) until the other day when I dosed it a little heavy, around 3:1, I was blown away by heat and strangeness. So be careful with that. I suggest 4 or 5:1 water/absinthe.

Edited by Daemon