Photo

hey folks, just a quick suggestion (ref. fountains)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#1 roguenroll

roguenroll

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:48 AM

Im new, never tried absinthe yet, Ive just ordered my first bottle yesterday - Jade Verte Suisse 65 :blink: ,
I was shooting for the Edouard 72, but its, TEMPORARILY OUT OF STOCK, right now.

Ive done pretty good on various ebay purchases, just want an opinion if these are nice products and/or any experience with this seller. he's been active since 2002 with no negative responses, thats how I usually decide to buy from a seller on Ebay.

On a package deal he's given some $ off, on a 4 spout lady fountain, 4 different spoons, sugar holder, and 1/2 pound sugar, and 4 of the pontalier II glasses

(taken out URL)

Regards, :cheers:
I'll no doubt be back when I've tried, I hope I really like it.

Edited by roguenroll, 31 August 2006 - 06:58 PM.

#2 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,007 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:06 AM

New to absinthe and starting with a Jade? :cheers:

No more fragile fountains for me. I'll opt for the steel reinforced concrete variety.

See if you can find time to introduce yourself in the Newcomer Introductions.

#3 MMarking

MMarking

Resident Francophile

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:09 AM

As a vendor who also sells the same glasses, the prices aren't bad. The shipping is a bit steep, but that is an individual seller thing based on their accounts with whatever flying monkeys they use. Insist on insurance.

One comment. There really is no such thing as an "absinthe" sugar cube. Sugar cubes are just sugar. Or should be.
Good friends are the family you wish you had been born into.

War is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate.
Marvin Gaye

#4 Derrick

Derrick

Intoxicologist

• 3,040 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:35 AM

I've made a couple of purchases from him. The prices are fair, but as said before the shipping can be a bit too high. Although, everything is packed very well and shipped fast.
"Reality is a crutch for people who can't enjoy absinthe."

#5 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

Dr. Valentin Magnan wannabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:44 AM

I want the "goth" toilet paper. A lot of those things seem to be a buck or three more than you would pay elsewhere and if the shipping is steep..
Litany against fear of Absinthe - I must not fear Absinthe. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my Absinthe. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the Absinthe has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#6 roguenroll

roguenroll

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:26 PM

As a vendor who also sells the same glasses, the prices aren't bad. The shipping is a bit steep, but that is an individual seller thing based on their accounts with whatever flying monkeys they use. Insist on insurance.

One comment. There really is no such thing as an "absinthe" sugar cube. Sugar cubes are just sugar. Or should be.

yeah the insurance would be good, i'll check that out. I know about the sugar, I'll keep those wrapped ones for guests. they come with some of the items anyway. I'm getting the stuff to look good as display too. I need more brickabrack crap for my shelves.

the fountain, sugar holder (similar design to fountain), 4 glasses, and 4 spoons, 1/2 lb sugar, is $37 shipping.
Im not too sure on shipping costs , seems pretty good i think, maybe a little high.

off to intro..

#7 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:33 PM

Okay, now time to go here and tell us a little about yourself.

#8 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,191 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:45 PM

I have bought a few things from this guy. He seems pretty proud of some items but I like his customer service. The guy ships fast. As for his sugar cubes, I have them in baggies somewhere. I don't need the things. The WS vendors list is consistent. Trust them.

:cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#9 TheGreenOne

TheGreenOne

Makes Poor Choices

• Indefinite Suspension
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:29 PM

Sugar cubes are just sugar. Or should be.

Prude.

#10 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,284 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:16 PM

I'm not terribly impressed with the fact that he doesn't seem to know anything about absinthe and can't make up his mind how to spell it. Looks like someone cashing in on the trend.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin
Distiller, Stone & Szilard Distilling Co.
www.absinthemarteau.com

#11 rodr0069

rodr0069

Newcomer

• Canned
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:39 PM

I'm not terribly impressed with the fact that he doesn't seem to know anything about absinthe and can't make up his mind how to spell it. Looks like someone cashing in on the trend.

Hello. I spell it both ways absinthe/absinth in my adds as there are many people who are not sure how to spell it.

Hmmmm. You have seen the E-Bay store and determined my level of absinthe knowledge. Vast, I mean really vast deductive ability.
"... himey, dont be a hater."

#12 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,284 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:46 PM

Yeah, pretty much.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#13 sixela

sixela

• PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:49 PM

Hello. I spell it both ways absinthe/absinth in my adds as there are many people who are not sure how to spell it.

Some people even seem to hesitate about the plural of an ad...

And if you want to be fruitful, remember: with logs, even adders can multiply¹.

--
¹Owners of a slide rule calculator will know what I mean.

Edited by sixela, 31 August 2006 - 05:50 PM.

#14 rodr0069

rodr0069

Newcomer

• Canned
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:06 PM

Yeah, pretty much.

Green only looks good on absinthe himey, dont be a hater. :harhar:

Some people even seem to hesitate about the plural of an ad...

And if you want to be fruitful, remember: with logs, even adders can multiply¹.

--
¹Owners of a slide rule calculator will know what I mean.

Suprised himler didnt catch that :huh:

#15 sixela

sixela

• PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:25 PM

There's no error - I still mean it.

#16 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,007 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:53 PM

I believe my mind is made up.

#17 roguenroll

roguenroll

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:01 PM

Come on people, I dont want my first thread going this way.

I modded a 3d board and they got pretty cut throat, I had to drop the hammer all the time. I thought you guys would be a little more calm. :)

do I gotta watch my back here too, it'll be even harder when Im drunk.

:)

I hope we can get along

#18 Martin Lake

Martin Lake

The Great Lover of Mankind

• 2,163 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:22 PM

So far, the only person in this thread that's been anything less than polite is the vendor you asked about. Besides, this is pinkies out compared to some of the discussions we've had around here of late.

Edited by Martin Lake, 31 August 2006 - 07:23 PM.

Ah, la petite mort; such beautiful suicide.

#19 roguenroll

roguenroll

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:28 PM

haha :) ok, I guess I gotta adjust. I got that idea from the fine french old time bars, in the absinthe pics. I
guess I gotta jump in like a biker bar fight. :drunk:

This absinthe must be good stuff. wheres that delivery man B) !!!!

Edited by roguenroll, 31 August 2006 - 07:29 PM.

#20 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,284 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:33 PM

"Come on people, I dont want my first thread going this way."

I guess I gotta jump in like a biker bar fight.

Please don't.

Don't worry, it won't get out of control. Rodr just needs to drop the 'tude and back off the name calling if he wants to post here.

Sorry, rodr0069. To explain, I have a personal concern with people who just take their money bucket to the absinthe well without really having any appreciation for the drink. It doesn't inspire confidence if I think I'm buying from someone who doesn't know the subject.

I may be wrong, I may be opinionated (that's a given), I may be jumping to conclusions, but I have pretty good spidey senses when it comes to this kind of thing. Your store doesn't show much knowledge of how to pour a glass of absinthe, for example. That sends up a red flag for me. Also, there's the small matter of including absinthe-burning instructions and recipes for making "absinthe" at home.

We're pretty much against that stuff here, since it promotes ignorance on the subject. It appears to demonstrate that you prefer to cater to, and capitalize upon, the misconceptions of the general public, rather than help educate them.

Posted Image

Addendum: I didn't see the "absinth bonques" before. That's another ten points off.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#21 Martin Lake

Martin Lake

The Great Lover of Mankind

• 2,163 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:47 PM

Um, no. In here, you'll find a lot of very cultured individuals with lots of opinions that we're not shy about expressing. It can get heated in here, but it's never a biker bar fight. It's an absinthe bar fight. It's not fists flying, it's people expressing their thoughts on a side of an argument. Name calling bad; thoughtful expression of your opinions and ideas good.

Edit: See...like he did it.

Edited by Martin Lake, 31 August 2006 - 07:48 PM.

Ah, la petite mort; such beautiful suicide.

#22 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,191 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:11 AM

Beige, I think I'll paint the ceiling beige.

:cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#23 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:33 AM

roguenroll, do you by chance know Andy?

#24 rodr0069

rodr0069

Newcomer

• Canned
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:40 AM

"Come on people, I dont want my first thread going this way."

I guess I gotta jump in like a biker bar fight.

Please don't.

Don't worry, it won't get out of control. Rodr just needs to drop the 'tude and back off the name calling if he wants to post here.

Sorry, rodr0069. To explain, I have a personal concern with people who just take their money bucket to the absinthe well without really having any appreciation for the drink. It doesn't inspire confidence if I think I'm buying from someone who doesn't know the subject.

I may be wrong, I may be opinionated (that's a given), I may be jumping to conclusions, but I have pretty good spidey senses when it comes to this kind of thing. Your store doesn't show much knowledge of how to pour a glass of absinthe, for example. That sends up a red flag for me. Also, there's the small matter of including absinthe-burning instructions and recipes for making "absinthe" at home.

We're pretty much against that stuff here, since it promotes ignorance on the subject. It appears to demonstrate that you prefer to cater to, and capitalize upon, the misconceptions of the general public, rather than help educate them.

Posted Image

Addendum: I didn't see the "absinth bonques" before. That's another ten points off.

Ooops. Wrong again himey. The recipes are actually drink recipes and the instructions for burning absinthe are there for those who are interested. I dont burn absinthe nor do I know anyone who does but as retailer, I must supply what the customer demands. I am as you say bringing the bucket. About the -bucket with no appreciation blah, blah- I have a great appreciation for the drink, its history etc. As far as the tude, I got nothing to drop. Thats me telling it like it is. However, if your tude ever hits the floor, I have a feeling we'll all feel a great big thud!!!! Name calling. I think himey is cute. It goes with your hat.

#25 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,007 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:06 AM

That's cute?

I don't see it.

#26 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

Dr. Valentin Magnan wannabe

• 2,385 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:40 AM

Yeah, you are not impressing anyone here with that stuff. Take the criticism re your site and do with it as you will. This is our house (Hiram if you will permit me) and I believe straightforward comments regarding our opinions of your site are appropriate. No one from here went to your ebay store and talked trash about you there or used racial slurs. Don't do it here.
Litany against fear of Absinthe - I must not fear Absinthe. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my Absinthe. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the Absinthe has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#27 jkerouac59

jkerouac59

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:45 AM

Don't feed the trolls - it only encourages them!

#28 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,284 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:48 AM

I must supply what the customer demands.

No, you musn't, but that's the easy way out for a shyster. Thanks for proving my point. Buh-bye now.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#29 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:36 AM

However, if your tude ever hits the floor, I have a feeling we'll all feel a great big thud!!!!

Sounded more like an appropriate flush to me.

#30 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,191 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 02:53 PM

Well folks, I suppose my initial comments don't hold much water. I bought a few items from the guy. Things went as I posted but I am a bit embarrassed and disappointed by his disrespect for this forum. Sometimes one may overlook the quality of a merchant if feedback score is all you have to go by. Granted, the bonques bothered me but I felt it was his shop and I didn't want to tell him how to run his business.

It bothers me that a thread can jump the tracks so fast and I was a contributor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association